Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giant Catfish

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    Mars Bonfire

Mars Bonfire

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:57 AM

There are some catfish that get very large re: Mekong River.
Who is to say that elsewhere they might also grow huge,
though not to school bus dimensions, and it would certainly
have to be in a wide ranging lake or river, since an isolated
body of water would not contain enough food, nor enough
hiding places.

Big enough catfish "could" conceivably swallow a young
child, much in the manner smaller versions swallow frogs.
A friend from West Virginia said that after the Point
Pleasant bridge collapsed that divers working in the Ohio
River saw, and were fearful of, some very large catfish.

#17    muir

muir

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:46 AM

I remember reading a story about a giant catfish in the mid to late 80's. Don't remember exact details but it was an AP story  in the Rocky Mountain News.  In a lake in the mid-west,sorry do not remember the state,a kid was water skiing with his family. He was 12 and had fallen. The dad turned the boat to go pick him up. The kid began screaming and bobbing up and down in the water. When the boat got there his folks pulled him in and his legs were cut up and bloodied. The took him to the hospital and the doctor there said it looked like bite marks from a catfish. The estimated size was something like 80' long.

I know there is much wrong with this story,sounds very urban legend. But I read this in a legitimate newspaper and it was an AP article. Maybe someone here also will remember this story.

#18    drakonwick

drakonwick

Government Agent

• 4,198 posts

• There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:07 AM

I could understand a catfish reaching around 9 ft. long! But, the size of a school bus? Thats like 40 ft. I would have to say thats a bit exagerated.
The national geographic channel has a show called (Explorer: Monster Fish of the Congo), that provides evidence of catfish growing to incredible sizes.

I remember the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says: "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." - J. Robert Oppenheimer.

#19    insanemind

insanemind

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:11 AM

Like the fish pictured on this website.
http://www.extremescience.com/BiggestFreshwaterFish.htm

#20    jakeman

jakeman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:33 PM

All I do is catfishing. I do know that catfish will keep growing with age and the size as well depends on if there is a suffecient food source. Ive seen catfish come up and attack ducklings. Catfish are indescriminate eater. Ive caught them on everything from chicken liver to goldfish. The will eat and eat, anything that the can fit in their mouth. As i've said if their big enough they'll eat anything thats smaller and edible in their case. Though what species is this cat supposed to be. Is it a Blue Cat, The largest in the U.S. and north america. Possibly though unlikely a flathead. I doubt very seriously it would be a channel. So im guessing its a massive sized Blue cat. Though the mouth of a catfish is wide and good in length. Though that have to be a pretty big catfish. Ive heard similar stories in the ohio river the hudson, state lake, colorado river, so many. Some of the places ive heard dont even contain catfish. Though the areas around dam's seem to be the deepest. I have caught some very large catfish by dams. Though the size of a School bus. It would be a good one. As well ive heard of sturgeon growing to those lengths. Though dont count on catching a school bus sized catfish. Though if you wanting to catch a fish that size. Take up traditional Whaling. Thats about the only fish that could compare in length. So the catfish that sized must be a folk tale. Though the size of a row boat. That ive seen in pictures. Though what sized rowboats. Im thinking 8 ft. to 10 ft. The national record blue cat was around that size in length.

Every man must climb a mountain in his life, It may not be his mountain, but he must climb it
Posted Image
"This IS SPARTAAAAAA"
"Its the FInal Countdown"

#21    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,546 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:29 PM

Yeah, a sturgeon can get quite large.

original.gif

linked-image

Reason 435 I stay out of the water.

HN

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#22    2nd Reign

2nd Reign

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 228 posts

• "Momma told me to never look into the eyes of the sun; but momma,that where the fun is"

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:19 AM

Yankneck on Jan 7 2008, 05:23 PM, said:

OK OK take it from a catfishing nut that catfish do have teeth and while not big a big sized blue catfish will shred up your hand pretty good trying to land them as I usually drag them ashore or on the boat by the lower jaw. OK and let me tell you there are no catfish of this size in any impoundment anywhere.

As catfish grow and  become more mature its teeth slowly disapear and the fish becomes almost completley a vegetarian; and yes,I agree with you that there is a slim chance that this fish of this size exist but there is a species of this type that grow very large.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...nt-catfish.html

Biological determination vs Biological potential:

It is the core difference between a Man who would sacrafice everthing to propagate himself versus a Being that will sacrafice Self for that which is larger than Self.

#23    2nd Reign

2nd Reign

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 228 posts

• "Momma told me to never look into the eyes of the sun; but momma,that where the fun is"

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:29 AM

HerNibs on May 12 2009, 10:29 PM, said:

Yeah, a sturgeon can get quite large.

original.gif

linked-image

Reason 435 I stay out of the water.

HN

Where was that monster caught?

Biological determination vs Biological potential:

It is the core difference between a Man who would sacrafice everthing to propagate himself versus a Being that will sacrafice Self for that which is larger than Self.

#24    Dezmond

Dezmond

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

2nd Reign on May 13 2009, 12:29 AM, said:

Where was that monster caught?

I also would like to know. Then I know where to stay miles away from.
PS. The link of the image directed me to a site about British Columbia, probably were they are. *shudders*

Edited by Dezmond, 13 May 2009 - 08:59 AM.

Posted Image

#25    zrina11

zrina11

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

• Light travels faster then sound. That's why some people appear brighter before they speak.

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:20 AM

Stick to the swimming pools I say. grin2.gif

Posted Image

#26    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

Beluga stugeon can easily grow to that size, in fact the largest ones ever caught were even bigger, about 8-9 metres long. We used to have a lot of them them in Hungary but due to pollution and overfishing they have been gone since the 1950's.

#27    zrina11

zrina11

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

• Light travels faster then sound. That's why some people appear brighter before they speak.

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

Clobhair-cean on May 13 2009, 09:06 PM, said:

Beluga stugeon can easily grow to that size, in fact the largest ones ever caught were even bigger, about 8-9 metres long. We used to have a lot of them them in Hungary but due to pollution and overfishing they have been gone since the 1950's.

8-9 m? That's bigger then Great White sharks.

Shame, though, they are gone.

Posted Image

#28    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

zrina11 on May 13 2009, 02:00 PM, said:

8-9 m? That's bigger then Great White sharks.

Shame, though, they are gone.

They are still around in the Caspian and the Black sea (They live in the sea but got up the rivers to spawn), but such giants are not caught anymore, probably all of them had been killed off and these fish grow really slowly, an 8 meter one could easily have been more then 100 years old.

#29    venom012

venom012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

I just watched a t.v. show on Animal Planet called River Monsters. The show is about big river fish not cryptids.  There was a catfish that swallowed a man halfway. His legs were sticking out of his mouth. The catfish was about  five feet long. The pics were pretty guresome. This happened in the Amazon.

Edited by venom012, 14 May 2009 - 09:15 PM.

#30    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

Ruffjeff on May 11 2009, 01:24 AM, said:

ive always been afraid of deep waters...4 this exact reason....fish can grow to monstrous sizes...just depends on the ecosystem and things like this can always happen...because the dam was built it sounds like a likely story...b careful!!!!

Meh, you are more likely to crash you car and die.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users