Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is Illegal Immigrant politically incorrect?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,465 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 31 January 2004 - 02:45 AM

There is a big politically correct argument brewing about the term Illegal Immigrant.  Or Illegal Alien.

Do you think the term is condescending to those who cross America's borders
illegally?  Hispanic or otherwise?

It is being proposed that they now be refered to as Undocumented Workers.

What do you think?

To view a politically correct dictionary:  CLICK HERE

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#2    KayEl

KayEl

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 04:36 AM

No it is not condescending.

I myself was not born in this country and my family came here LEGALLY.

I am sick and tire of various groups trying to hide behind their ethnicity. If you are coming into this country illegally, you are breaking the law. Racism have nothing to do with it.

#3    <bleeding_heart>

<bleeding_heart>

Poltergeist

• 2,947 posts

• "Nil Satis Nisi Optimum"

Posted 31 January 2004 - 05:09 AM

It would take away from the crime they are commiting undocumeted worker is a lot easier to justify than illegal alien.

Posted Image

#4    Anirbas

Anirbas

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

• Put your big girl panties on and DEAL with it!

Posted 31 January 2004 - 05:33 AM

It is not condesending. However, if some see it as such, perhaps it's because what they are doing is wrong. It is --->illegal <---
I think they need to concentrate on ways to make their own country reflect what they like about ours and kindly leave us be. It's not easy - it wasn't easy for our ancestors!  

Whatever hits the fan will be distributed evenly!

Lord keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!!!

My life is 10% what happens to me and 90% what I make of it!

#5    thepsychoticseaotter

thepsychoticseaotter

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

• Ice, Snow, Blood and Iron!!!

Posted 31 January 2004 - 06:27 AM

To put in my 2 cents:   I don't care. Political Correctness is a load of horsesh**.

On top of that Illegal immigrants are just that Illegal. Meaning they deserve to be drug out of this country and told never to come back unless they go through the proper channels to emmigrate.

Race has no issue here you could be from mars and come here legally and it wouldn't bother me....

I better quit now...touchy subject for the otter.....

Ravens KeepA forum for Classic D&D, AD&D and the upcoming Castles and Crusades.

Soon it's over, all the dwarfs defeated
The silence of the caverns stand still
Orcs took the command of the caves and depths
The darklord has reached his will ---Battlelore

Fill my mug, I just want to forget
All the troubles and fighting
And the ghosts in my head --Battlelore

#6    soulfire78

soulfire78

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

• It's not what happens to you in life that matters, it's what you do about it that counts...

Posted 31 January 2004 - 08:43 AM

I must completely agree, Syko...

If everyone is allowed to immigrate to the US, we will become overcrowded and destitute.  Our government health and welfare agencies in many states are already overwhelmed by demands ranging from free legal aid to free medical care to mandatory state paid interpreters...all this for folks that come into the country illegally.  

I have no problem with people coming here with their ducks in a row.  They're doing it the right way.  I'm with Anirbas...
I think they need to concentrate on ways to make their own country reflect what they like about ours and kindly leave us be. It's not easy - it wasn't easy for our ancestors!

If a person doesn't like what's going on in their homeland, then work to change it.  It's worth fighting for, and dying for.  

As a side note, the US has some of the most lax immigration and naturalization laws in the developed world.  My husband just completed his naturalization packet.  It cost him a total of $300, and a quick interview at the immigration office.  He speaks English fluently, but was offered an interpreter.

If I recollect properly, Canada requires a ~$20,000 investment in their stock market, and so many years on Visa before an individual is able to apply for residency.  Even after "naturalization", you are not able to vote in their elections.  

What are the immigrations laws in other countries, since folks are always so easy to bash anything remotely American?

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to set up camp in Denmark (where many of my ancestral roots lay), WHat would it take for me to become a citizen?  Would I have the right to vote?  Would I be given free ride scholarships at the university based on where I was originally from?  Would I receive free, state funded health care, as well as mandatory state funded interpreters if I refused or was unable to learn the language?  Just a question, but one that should be pondered.  

In the US, these things are taken for granted, but I wonder how it is abroad in other countries.

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that 's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.
One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

Lord Byron

#7    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:07 AM

If a person doesn't like what's going on in their homeland, then work to change it. It's worth fighting for, and dying for.

Easier said than done, Immigration should be looked at on a personal view. I am pretty much against economic immigration but political and persecuted refugees are in my opinion more than welcome here. Noone should suffer.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to set up camp in Denmark (where many of my ancestral roots lay), WHat would it take for me to become a citizen? Would I have the right to vote? Would I be given free ride scholarships at the university based on where I was originally from? Would I receive free, state funded health care, as well as mandatory state funded interpreters if I refused or was unable to learn the language? Just a question, but one that should be pondered.

Come to britain you get it even better here. Everything you stated you receive and more.

Are you sure they get free- health care in america? I thought you guys never had a national health service?

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#8    thepsychoticseaotter

thepsychoticseaotter

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:13 AM

Yeah it's called medicaid. It's only available to lower income people although that drfinition changes day to day. The reality of it is that 9 times out of 10 it goes to a mother (loose term) that is nothing more than a local sperm bank or an illegal who has no business here.

It's been that way for years....

#9    KayEl

KayEl

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 04:54 AM

One thing about the US is that if you were BORN here, you are automatically a US citizen, even if your parents are not. I don't think that is the case in other countries.

I agree that other people should change their countries to make it a better place so they don't need to emigrate elsewhere for a future.
Easier said than done, true.
But we've done it, and we paid the price for it.

#10    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 01 February 2004 - 02:37 PM

One thing about the US is that if you were BORN here, you are automatically a US citizen, even if your parents are not. I don't think that is the case in other countries.

Its the case in the UK too and the case of most countries.

saorsa na h-alba

#11    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 01 February 2004 - 03:50 PM

...so let me get this straight...

People who are immigrants...who entered the country illegally...are objecting to being called exactly what they are now? huh.gif

Political correctness really has gone insane...even more so than I had thought if this is even being proposed, let alone if it's ever actually changed disgust.gif  

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#12    thepsychoticseaotter

thepsychoticseaotter

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Seraphina @ Feb 1 2004, 09:50 AM)
...so let me get this straight...

People who are immigrants...who entered the country illegally...are objecting to being called exactly what they are now? huh.gif

Political correctness really has gone insane...even more so than I had thought if this is even being proposed, let alone if it's ever actually changed disgust.gif

Well the PC crowd was always a bit off but now they are falling off the deep end. I swear if they had their way everything would be ok to do. No matter the legalities.....I used to think PC was educated stupidity now I realise it's just coded Anarchy.....

#13    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:25 PM

The thing about being 'PC' was it started out as a nice, cuddly idea, to make everyone equal, with the same rights and privillages...

Now it's "you can't call that a black board! It's racsist! I don't care if it IS a board, and it's black...call it a chalkboard! What? Yes, yes, you can still call the other one a white board...never you mind about double standards!"

It's "You know that nursery ryhm about the sheep with the three bags of whool? We've decided "black sheep" is rascist...make it 'whooly sheep'."

It's "sorry kids, we won't be having a christmas party this year...in fact, shhh...we're not supposed to mention christmas, given there are two muslim kids in the school...sorry to the other one thousand of you. We will, however, be setting aside time for Ramadan."

It's turned into a leash, dragging people through a minefield, where it's very easy to make a wrong step, and if you do you're feet won't even hit the ground. Political correctness no longer exists, only 'posative discrimination', and it's driving me insane.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#14    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:29 PM

yeah i agree i mean we arent supposed to call them christmas cards anymore now theyve to be "greeting cards" its a disgrace.

Who are these people that come up with these daft thigs?

saorsa na h-alba

#15    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 01 February 2004 - 06:32 PM

I once said merry christmas and ended up getting detention...its "Happy  Holidays"
but for some odd reason the muslim holidays are respected..yet no respect to us?

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users