Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

What is the absolute oldest creation story?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    PryOpenUr3rdEye

PryOpenUr3rdEye

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

• You see things, and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were, and say "Why not?" - George Bernard Shaw

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:26 AM

I was thinking...  Lets go with the whole "rock creates the ripples in the pond" approach to this.  
What is the absolute oldest creation story?  And preferably not one thats been horribly tampered with throughout the years (I think you know what I mean).
My line of thought was, if we wanted to figure out where we came from, then why wouldn't we analyze the oldest story known, instead of the most popular?  A kind of getting closest to the source sort to speak.  And how many of these creation stories use the notion of a great flood?  It seems to be a common theme throughout the ages.  

Oh, and one more thing... Why only 2 of each animal???  We all know thats not enough to sustain a sufficient breeding colony to ensure the species survival...unless thats all they needed (implying some sort of controlled breeding by unknown beings?)

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder, then one closed by belief"
-Gerry Spence

#2    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

• Sometimes It's Darkest Just Before Dawn

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:34 AM

We don't know what the first creation was because way back when we lived in caves and such nobody really recorded anything. We could find the first known creation story...The oldest off the top of my head would be all those religions that worshiped the sun.

You can sustain a sufficient breeding colony with only two of each animal...its called God Magic.

Between Red Team and Blue Team I stand colorblind

Posted Image

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."-Eric Hoffer

#3    PryOpenUr3rdEye

PryOpenUr3rdEye

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

• You see things, and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were, and say "Why not?" - George Bernard Shaw

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

So...with God Magic, can I stop worrying about all those animals on the endangered species lists?

-Gerry Spence

#4    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

• Sometimes It's Darkest Just Before Dawn

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:42 AM

PryOpenUr3rdEye on Jan 19 2008, 02:41 AM, said:

So...with God Magic, can I stop worrying about all those animals on the endangered species lists?

Sure if you had God Magic you can do whatever you want.

Between Red Team and Blue Team I stand colorblind

Posted Image

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."-Eric Hoffer

#5    PryOpenUr3rdEye

PryOpenUr3rdEye

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:59 AM

Cadetak on Jan 19 2008, 01:42 AM, said:

Sure if you had God Magic you can do whatever you want.

Haha, thats funny  laugh.gif

-Gerry Spence

#6    norwood1026

norwood1026

Government Agent

• 4,295 posts

• I've found a more personal, pagan kind of religion to satisfy the spiritual side of things.
    Julian Clary

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:42 AM

Are you talking about oral or written religion? Some people believe that Mother Earth was worshipped as a Goddess as far back as Paleolithic times 30,000 years but who really knows going that far back. I've heard that some people believe that Hinduism is one of the oldest because it was one of the first written religions. All in All I don't think we'll ever know.

What is sweeter then mead? Intimate  conversation
WHat is blacker then the Raven?     Death
What is whiter then snow?  Truth.
What is swifter then the wind?   Thought.
What is sharper then the sword?  Understanding.

#7    PryOpenUr3rdEye

PryOpenUr3rdEye

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

norwood1026 on Jan 19 2008, 03:42 AM, said:

Are you talking about oral or written religion? Some people believe that Mother Earth was worshipped as a Goddess as far back as Paleolithic times 30,000 years but who really knows going that far back. I've heard that some people believe that Hinduism is one of the oldest because it was one of the first written religions. All in All I don't think we'll ever know.

Am I the only one who's depressed that we're a species who's lost their own history???

-Gerry Spence

#8    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

Alien Abducter

• 4,583 posts

• "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:03 AM

PryOpenUr3rdEye on Jan 19 2008, 10:57 AM, said:

Am I the only one who's depressed that we're a species who's lost their own history???

Well, a gigantic percentage of our history is lost anyway, because we didn't have writing, and cave paitings are fairly recent. It's not something you should get depressed about.

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.

#9    Belle.

Belle.

Poltergeist

• 2,399 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:14 AM

PryOpenUr3rdEye on Jan 19 2008, 10:57 AM, said:

No I am sure you are not but why not look into Archaeology? You'd be surprised what you can learn from stones and bones. Historical sources are usually written from the victors very subjective experience anyway.

Have a look at some indigenous societies that have a strong oral traditions as well.

Edited by Belqis, 19 January 2008 - 11:17 AM.

#10    PryOpenUr3rdEye

PryOpenUr3rdEye

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

Belqis on Jan 19 2008, 05:14 AM, said:

No I am sure you are not but why not look into Archaeology? You'd be surprised what you can learn from stones and bones. Historical sources are usually written from the victors very subjective experience anyway.

Have a look at some indigenous societies that have a strong oral traditions as well.

Yeah, I get more upset over all the ancient libraries burnt and destroyed during conquest.  Such a foolish thing to do...

-Gerry Spence

#11    Belle.

Belle.

Poltergeist

• 2,399 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

PryOpenUr3rdEye on Jan 19 2008, 11:25 AM, said:

Yeah, I get more upset over all the ancient libraries burnt and destroyed during conquest.  Such a foolish thing to do...

I am a librarian - so yep I agree wink2.gif

Imagine what amazing stuff would have been in the Library of Alexandria.

Edited by Belqis, 19 January 2008 - 11:37 AM.

#12    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,122 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

I think the oldest written one (not oral) was probably the Sumerian.
Hairston posted a good link in another thread about them   http://hometown.aol.com/josh882424/history.html

fullywired

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#13    doktorhook

doktorhook

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 115 posts

• "Stupid is as stupid does!"

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

fullywired on Jan 19 2008, 07:15 AM, said:

I think the oldest written one (not oral) was probably the Sumerian.
Hairston posted a good link in another thread about them   http://hometown.aol.com/josh882424/history.html

fullywired

You beat me by a little more than two hours

#14    norwood1026

norwood1026

Government Agent

• 4,295 posts

• I've found a more personal, pagan kind of religion to satisfy the spiritual side of things.
    Julian Clary

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:12 PM

Iím tempted to say that Paganism as a whole would be the oldest oral religion just because of the fact that before
B.C there are examples here & there of worship of Pagan Gods. Most reference books list Hinduism as the oldest world religion. This is probably because Hinduism has the oldest recorded written roots  which lie in Dravidianism. Dravidianism is estimated to have been practiced around 6,000 to 3,000 BCE and as such predates the Sumerian, Egyptian, and Babylonian cultures. But like anything it comes down to what you believe in your heart more then anything else.

That link you posted doktorhook talk about what might be the oldest known civilization not much about religion.

What is sweeter then mead? Intimate  conversation
WHat is blacker then the Raven?     Death
What is whiter then snow?  Truth.
What is swifter then the wind?   Thought.
What is sharper then the sword?  Understanding.

#15    macro

macro

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

I'm inclined to agree with folks who have said that the oldest written creation story is the Sumerian one.  Also, we've got to bear in mind that what's written first is not necessarily what happened first or what's the most true.  The biblical creation story is a polemic against many other creation stories, and as such it assumes their existence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users