Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Dead Body Remains in Shipwreck

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1    Scary For Kids

Scary For Kids

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

I came across an interesting story recently that circulates among diving enthusiasts. It involves a ship called The SS Kamloops that sank in 1927 off Isle Royale in Lake Superior. Some mystery surrounds the sinking of the ship. It was thought that there were no survivors, but six months later bodies were found on a nearby island. Apparently, survivors had starved to death waiting for rescue even though nobody was looking for them.

Divers say they hear stories from fellow divers about a body that is still trapped in the engine room of the wreck. The story goes that in a fresh water lake, at that depth, there are no fish to eat the remains and the temperature is so low all year round, that a body won't decompose. Also, it is too dangerous to recover a body trapped that far down. So the unfortunate crewman, nicknamed "Whitey" or "Grandpa" by locals, just floats there in the engine room, perfectly preserved.

Divers who have been down to the wreck have reported strange encounters such as being followed by the body or being surprised suddenly by the body floating towards them. They say the body is ghostly white and still has it's wedding ring on it's finger.

Seems odd to me that a body from 1927 would still be intact. Has anyone else heard about this legend? Can't find much info on it and it seems like it might just be an urban legend.

#2    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,749 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

Scary For Kids on Feb 6 2008, 09:00 AM, said:

I came across an interesting story recently that circulates among diving enthusiasts. It involves a ship called The SS Kamloops that sank in 1927 off Isle Royale in Lake Superior. Some mystery surrounds the sinking of the ship. It was thought that there were no survivors, but six months later bodies were found on a nearby island. Apparently, survivors had starved to death waiting for rescue even though nobody was looking for them.

Divers say they hear stories from fellow divers about a body that is still trapped in the engine room of the wreck. The story goes that in a fresh water lake, at that depth, there are no fish to eat the remains and the temperature is so low all year round, that a body won't decompose. Also, it is too dangerous to recover a body trapped that far down. So the unfortunate crewman, nicknamed "Whitey" or "Grandpa" by locals, just floats there in the engine room, perfectly preserved.

Divers who have been down to the wreck have reported strange encounters such as being followed by the body or being surprised suddenly by the body floating towards them. They say the body is ghostly white and still has it's wedding ring on it's finger.

Seems odd to me that a body from 1927 would still be intact. Has anyone else heard about this legend? Can't find much info on it and it seems like it might just be an urban legend.

LOL, the temperature part I might buy, might, but the no fish part at that depth is so wrong.  There are bottom feeders in all lakes, unless the pollution has killed them off, and at the time of the sinking, there would not have been the pollution in the Lake that there is now.

Otherwise, a creepy little story.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#3    savvygirl

savvygirl

Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:49 AM

glorybebe on Feb 6 2008, 06:15 PM, said:

LOL, the temperature part I might buy, might, but the no fish part at that depth is so wrong.  There are bottom feeders in all lakes, unless the pollution has killed them off, and at the time of the sinking, there would not have been the pollution in the Lake that there is now.

Otherwise, a creepy little story.

I find it a little hard to swallow the body still being in tack too. blink.gif

#4    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,749 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:53 AM

savvygirl on Feb 8 2008, 04:49 PM, said:

I find it a little hard to swallow the body still being in tack too. blink.gif

I guess it spurs the imagination better if the body is supposedly whole, LOL

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#5    xCrimsonx

xCrimsonx

Resident Vamp

• 5,249 posts

• The Vampire Lair
    http://paranormalborder.net/forum/3002966/
    "All Torque & No Traction"
    "Static - Cold"
    "GF,FO"
    "1"

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:01 AM

Well. sounds interesting. Althought there might not have been fish to munch old Whitey away, but what about the microscopic bactieria that I would think after neary 100 years would have made a bit of damage over time.

He would of had to have been frozen to still be in tact.

Its a little bit like makeing Ox tail stew, no matter what the temperatures the meat is still gunna fall of the  bone at some stage.  Sorry bad pun! te he wink2.gif

Another thing, if divers had been down there, then why didnt they bring him up for Identification, burial, history and medical science then?
"Ye old shipped matey be starving for a good rum by now" lol

The Paranormal Border
The Vampire Club18+

http://forum.paranor...order.com/index
Posted Image

#6    LizFL

LizFL

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:19 AM

Well, I have heard before that a body will not decompose underwater, but I always assumed that was false... Also, aside from fish and crabs and all, what about microbes and alge? Would they possibly "eat" a body? For that matter, I have seen decomposing fish and and turtles in the river, but that is brachish...

#7    Scary For Kids

Scary For Kids

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:24 AM

LizFL on Feb 9 2008, 03:19 AM, said:

Well, I have heard before that a body will not decompose underwater, but I always assumed that was false... Also, aside from fish and crabs and all, what about microbes and alge? Would they possibly "eat" a body? For that matter, I have seen decomposing fish and and turtles in the river, but that is brachish...

Actually I did a bit of research on this. Found out that something strange can happen with bodies that are immersed in water for long periods. Layers of fat come to the surface of the skin, forming a chalky/soapy substance that hardens around the outside. Effectively protecting the skin from decomposition. I guess it's like a natural form of mummification.

#8    Undeadskeptic

Undeadskeptic

Government Agent

• 3,628 posts

• What happened to the American dream? It came true, you're lookin' at it.

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:39 AM

Imagine diving down there and having the body scream underwater at you.

Holy f**k that gives me shivers, I am now traumatised for several weeks. Several sleepless weeks.

Jesus, I was evil

#9    Evangium

Evangium

Heretic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

• Evangium doesn't have a personal statement currently.

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:22 PM

SS Kamloops story elements are probably real (except for the body swimming around).

Since she's down at 80m, I'm not sure what the risks of recovery are, especially if the wreck is safe for diving.  We need someone who's a SAR Diver to clear up that one hmm.gif

上人は菩薩と見たる桜哉
to saintly eyes
they are bodhisattvas...
cherry blossoms

Should RADAR really be held up as absolute proof of visitation by an extraterrestrial intelligence?  Click here to find out

#10    Undeadskeptic

Undeadskeptic

Government Agent

• 3,628 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:00 PM

Doesn't even mention the stories, so I assume they are just made up.

Jesus, I was evil

#11    Evangium

Evangium

Heretic

• 2,109 posts

• Evangium doesn't have a personal statement currently.

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:21 PM

Undeadskeptic on Feb 9 2008, 11:00 PM, said:

Doesn't even mention the stories, so I assume they are just made up.

Story Elements, my dear Watsit original.gif It mentions the bodies being discovered in spring 1928 on the Island.  It doesn't mention the body in the engine room though wink2.gif

The only thing I can't verify is the difficulty of the dive.  I know that below 40m, divers have to use a different gas mix and I know that the record for a scuba dive was 270m, but apart from that, we need someone with some diving credentials (and probably some familarity with that area of the Lakes) to tell us how bunk recreationally diving the wreck would be.

上人は菩薩と見たる桜哉
to saintly eyes
they are bodhisattvas...
cherry blossoms

Should RADAR really be held up as absolute proof of visitation by an extraterrestrial intelligence?  Click here to find out

#12    Undeadskeptic

Undeadskeptic

Government Agent

• 3,628 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

Ah, very true my australian companion, very true.

Jesus, I was evil

#13    vef3oh

vef3oh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

If the divers went to the wreckage, why couldn't they take the body with them?

#14    Elfstone810

Elfstone810

Psychic Spy

• 2,056 posts

• "Today there is no day or night.
    Today there is no wrong or right.
    Today there is no black or white --
    only shades of grey."

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:34 PM

It sounds to me like a mixture of history (the true story of the wreck) and fiction.  The bit about the body following the divers around reminds me very much of a short story called "Dead Men On Parade".  I don't remember who wrote it, but it's in one of the Alfred Hitchcock story collections and I read it several times when I was a kid.  It's about a diver who is (for some reason) diving on a wrecked ship.  There are several bodies there -- in the story it's not an old wreck -- and as he moves through the ship he stirs the water and the bodies of the drowned sailors are drawn into his wake and move along behind him.

The kitty made me do it!

Visit My Website
My Blog

#15    russelllindsey

russelllindsey

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:53 AM

I haven't heard this one.  However, I love learning about the Edmund Fitzgerald.  I'm from Michigan, so that's kinda natural.

Actually, there is supposedly a body on the Edmund Fitzgerald; however, I've also heard reports that say the body they found on that dive had the wrong clothes for the time period
(ie - the body was from another wreck).

There is a legend that Lake Superior doesn't give up her dead; it's due to the cold, like you said.  Fascinating stuff.

Scary For Kids on Feb 6 2008, 12:00 PM, said:

Edited by russelllindsey, 12 February 2008 - 02:55 AM.

Lindsey J. Russell

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users