Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Dead Body Remains in Shipwreck

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#16    Episteme

Episteme

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

• "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:09 AM

Scary For Kids on Feb 6 2008, 12:00 PM, said:

Also, it is too dangerous to recover a body trapped that far down.

Scary For Kids on Feb 6 2008, 12:00 PM, said:

Divers who have been down to the wreck have reported strange encounters such as being followed by the body or being surprised suddenly by the body floating towards them. They say the body is ghostly white and still has it's wedding ring on it's finger.

These two parts seem very contradictory to me.  If divers can go there, they could probably recover the body.  Depending on the damage to the ship, they could either clear a path through the interior or cut a hole through the exterior.  At least now they could, if they knew the body was there.  Back then it would have been dangerous.  I've never heard the story or researched it, but it sounds to me like you're right and it's probably an urban legend.

Posted Image
My Website- Avatar created with permission from The Clayman using Dancing Chicken 1.0

#17    punkmonkey123

punkmonkey123

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:10 AM

Even if they couldn't get the body, it seems kind of odd that at first, it is stuck in an engine, and then it can somehow magically free itself and swim.

Ugh, my brain hurts.

#18    LizFL

LizFL

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:49 PM

Scary For Kids on Feb 9 2008, 04:24 AM, said:

Actually I did a bit of research on this. Found out that something strange can happen with bodies that are immersed in water for long periods. Layers of fat come to the surface of the skin, forming a chalky/soapy substance that hardens around the outside. Effectively protecting the skin from decomposition. I guess it's like a natural form of mummification.

Could possibly explain why it looked so white I suppose... thanks for the info original.gif much appreciated!

#19    Charlie Donuts

Charlie Donuts

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

• My names Donuts... Charlie Donuts...

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

"Ye old shipped matey be starving for a good rum by now"

HAH! I'm not even dead yet and I am... As for the story why would the not bring up the body if they were already down there... Also there is no way he would be perfectly preserved... Microbes and bacteria would have a friggin hay day... The "whiteness" could also be from lack of sunlight for, I dont know... 100 YEARS! His skin in life or death would lose pixelation... This is 100% urban legend with the only truth being the SS Kamloops...

Posted Image
Thank you Moro for the wonderful sig...
Check out my remixes of a whole 3 songs! Grezaro

#20    dani10

dani10

Psychic Spy

• 1,495 posts

• "They are barking, Sancho, so let's ride"
    - The Quixote

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:39 AM

Eww poor thing! Im sooo going to have nightmares about this one :-(

#21    Lightning88

Lightning88

Psychic Spy

• 1,139 posts

• When you reach for the stars you may not quite get one, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.
    -Leo Burnett

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

there are storys like that here(lake tahoe) they are not sure how deep the center is.it's said it's unmeasure able I know that part to be true as i've been on the caost gaurd boat and there depth finder shuts off in the center.they know there are cemment shoes in our lake and say bodies dumped by the mob in the deep area are still there due to the extreme old and lack of fish. but there are many urban legends here.they also claim a loch ness monster lives her(they call her,yes "her" tahoe tessie.) there is also the missing stagecoach that sopposedly fell of a cliff and into the lake they say it's still missing along with all the gold.yet another story is of a hotel from the 1800's if i remember correctly.that only ran during the summer then one summer people werent able to find it.it hasent been seen since.(you try to explain that one).then we have the bigfoot sightings and multipile (although hidden) haunted houses.

#22    xCrimsonx

xCrimsonx

Resident Vamp

• 5,249 posts

• The Vampire Lair
    http://paranormalborder.net/forum/3002966/
    "All Torque & No Traction"
    "Static - Cold"
    "GF,FO"
    "1"

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

Charlie Donuts : PredAlien on Feb 13 2008, 03:08 AM, said:

HAH! I'm not even dead yet and I am... As for the story why would the not bring up the body if they were already down there... Also there is no way he would be perfectly preserved... Microbes and bacteria would have a friggin hay day... The "whiteness" could also be from lack of sunlight for, I dont know... 100 YEARS! His skin in life or death would lose pixelation... This is 100% urban legend with the only truth being the SS Kamloops...

Charle's my friend............ You crack me up! lol   grin2.gif

The Paranormal Border
The Vampire Club18+

http://forum.paranor...order.com/index
Posted Image

#23    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

Government Agent

• 3,393 posts

• Champanya?

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

xCrimsonx on Feb 16 2008, 04:44 AM, said:

Charle's my friend............ You crack me up! lol   grin2.gif

I cracked up at this comment from him: "His skin in life or death would lose pixelation..."

Too many video games, I'm thinking. Pigmentation, yes. Pixelation, no.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. -- W. Somerset Maugham
Posted Image

#24    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

♔ Queen E L S A

• 8,507 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

Freaky story. Thanks for sharing.

Now I'm interested in the story now.

#25    Danzig

Danzig

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• let us wonder

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

silverracerkh2005 on Feb 16 2008, 03:28 AM, said:

there are storys like that here(lake tahoe) they are not sure how deep the center is.it's said it's unmeasure able I know that part to be true as i've been on the caost gaurd boat and there depth finder shuts off in the center.they know there are cemment shoes in our lake and say bodies dumped by the mob in the deep area are still there due to the extreme old and lack of fish. but there are many urban legends here.they also claim a loch ness monster lives her(they call her,yes "her" tahoe tessie.) there is also the missing stagecoach that sopposedly fell of a cliff and into the lake they say it's still missing along with all the gold.yet another story is of a hotel from the 1800's if i remember correctly.that only ran during the summer then one summer people werent able to find it.it hasent been seen since.(you try to explain that one).then we have the bigfoot sightings and multipile (although hidden) haunted houses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Tahoe

1600 feet deep

#26    Lightning88

Lightning88

Psychic Spy

• 1,139 posts

• When you reach for the stars you may not quite get one, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.
    -Leo Burnett

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

Danzig on Feb 17 2008, 09:05 PM, said:

Lol thats not even near right. the coast gaurds boat shut off around 2800.and the cg them self tolkd me they don't know the depth of the center.

#27    The Quizzle

The Quizzle

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:12 AM

Hello everyone,
Came across this forum, read your posts and felt compelled to shed some light on the Kamloops.  

You were right about the part of the ships unknown cause to why it sank, it most likely ran aground on the very rocky shores of Isle Royale and then slid back into the depths.  The ships depths are 160-275.  The mooring line is not buoyed due to severe risks.  The interesting thing about lake superior are the cold waters that stay very consistent below 50' staying at a constant 34*.  

There are human remains on the ship found in the engine room.  There were reports of bodies by divers but not officially confirmed until the NPS SCRU team with the assistance of ROV's recorded footage.  The body was not completely intact, due to gravity, the feet, hands and head were not attached but the torso and the cloths were still surprisingly in good condition.

I have never heard a local call it grandpa or whitey...

at those depths, divers may encounter nitrogen narcosis, which can result in hallucination's which could explain the following of the body but this story is new to me.

#28    jakersHD

jakersHD

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

Wow creepy, I dive as well and I can say how creepy it is to see a dead fish floating by your head original.gif

#29    Scary For Kids

Scary For Kids

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

The Quizzle on Feb 22 2008, 07:12 AM, said:

Hello everyone,
Came across this forum, read your posts and felt compelled to shed some light on the Kamloops.  

You were right about the part of the ships unknown cause to why it sank, it most likely ran aground on the very rocky shores of Isle Royale and then slid back into the depths.  The ships depths are 160-275.  The mooring line is not buoyed due to severe risks.  The interesting thing about lake superior are the cold waters that stay very consistent below 50' staying at a constant 34*.  

There are human remains on the ship found in the engine room.  There were reports of bodies by divers but not officially confirmed until the NPS SCRU team with the assistance of ROV's recorded footage.  The body was not completely intact, due to gravity, the feet, hands and head were not attached but the torso and the cloths were still surprisingly in good condition.

I have never heard a local call it grandpa or whitey...

at those depths, divers may encounter nitrogen narcosis, which can result in hallucination's which could explain the following of the body but this story is new to me.

Awesome. I was researching this as a potential story for my website and I wasn't sure if it was true or not. I came across posts on forums for divers that were giving accounts of their dives in this area and mentioning things in passing like "...we paid our respects to Whitey and moved on..."

So this is actually verified? I think I'll write it up because there's something about the image of a body floating down at those depths for (potentially) centuries that really gives me the CREEPS!!!! grin2.gif

#30    P.B.

P.B.

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:18 PM

I am a trimix rebreather diver and have seen the body. There is no head or ams on him anymore. His legs are gone at the knee. He is quite preserved otherwise (big white blob) . If someone seen a wedding ring on his finger it would have been a long time ago. I'm going there next week. We are going into an area that a hatch was just opened last year. There could be more bodies in there. Will keep you posted.

Have a great day,
P.B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users