Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Dead Body Remains in Shipwreck

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#31    Enigmatic Ghost

Enigmatic Ghost

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,581 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:31 PM

The waters of Lake Superior are very cold, but 1927 until now is 2008 is 81 years, unless Whitey's Pockets are filled with Styrofoam, the body is not still floating or in a suspended state of buoyancy, which at time of death and for a short time afterwards could have been, but Mr. Whitey’s body has long decayed or has been the meal of underwater organisms, now it could be remotely possible I suppose as there are spring fed fresh Water Lakes here that have ancient trees submerged, that are becoming Petrified such as the Petrified Ghost Trees that are 2,900 years ago such as are littering the bottom Clear Lake like eerie sentinels of a past eruption that is the source of Sahalie Falls (Church) and the lower Koosah Falls, Clear Lake was dammed up by thick flows of basaltic andesite lava, the Ghost trees of clear lakes bottom viewed from rowboats atop as the lake is very clean and clear…

Could a Human Body be preserved in somewhat of a recognizable state in such cold water conditions for 81 year or longer, I am not sure but I would not rule it out ether, there was a Old Model T-Ford Truck of a mail carrier that one day decided to cut a short cut across a frozen bay in Lake Coeur D Alane, Idaho many years ago and his truck fell through sinking to the bottom, a diver in the mid eighties found this truck and had in brought up to the surface I do not recall upon if the Mail carrier survived the icy splurge through the ice, I would think he didn’t but maybe it was somewhat his lucky day, I would suspect that there would be many Bodies of past tragedies that drivers would have discovered the partial or whole remains of if the cold fresh water lake conditions were true in preserving Human remains, as for the Vehicles such as the Mail truck rediscover at the bottom of Lake Coeur D Alane back then they covered the engines in so much grease that it was still very well preserved minis all the rubber parts… and one day a Kid took his Daddy’s really cool and $$$ wooden speed boat out upon Houser Lake, North or Coeur d Alane, and got to giving more attention to his girl friend’s uh um… sweet eyes then to his Boat piloting responsibly and sunk his daddy new custom Wooden speedboat, well that too was discovered in the bottoms water weeds also very well preserved 35 years later, but as for a Human body in water I don’t know…

And what of the reported story of the severed hand and the Body that the treasure excavation team reportedly viewed by Live camera floating in the subterranean passage at the Famed OAK Island Treasure Site, if no other Bodies or other explorer/treasure seekers hands were severed off at that site after the original construction of, then the presumption is to be that Hand and Body is of the original excavators of the speculated 1704 to late  1700’s and that is a long time especially if that body and hand was submerged at start as they were viewed in (Presumed ether as submerged or floating) in Brackish waters…

Pavot

Edited by Pavot, 09 July 2008 - 12:33 AM.

#32    Lightning88

Lightning88

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

• When you reach for the stars you may not quite get one, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.
    -Leo Burnett

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

P.B. on Jul 8 2008, 12:18 PM, said:

I am a trimix rebreather diver and have seen the body. There is no head or ams on him anymore. His legs are gone at the knee. He is quite preserved otherwise (big white blob) . If someone seen a wedding ring on his finger it would have been a long time ago. I'm going there next week. We are going into an area that a hatch was just opened last year. There could be more bodies in there. Will keep you posted.

Have a great day,
P.B.

huh.gif hes preserved well???? i dont think a white blob is preserved well,lol can you get pics?

Edited by silverracerkh2005, 09 July 2008 - 08:17 AM.

#33    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

I've actually heard that there are well preserved bodies on the Titanic. Has anyone else heard that?

#34    Since804

Since804

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

Undeadskeptic on Feb 9 2008, 06:39 AM, said:

Imagine diving down there and having the body scream underwater at you.

Holy **** that gives me shivers, I am now traumatised for several weeks. Several sleepless weeks.

laugh.gif
blink.gif

UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object. Is it that hard to understand??
"I don't know what it was but I don't think that it was a ufo..." = Fail Statement

#35    thevermin

thevermin

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:49 AM

Well... as one of the dudes said, 81 years is a long time, and i do not see a possibility in it that he should still be there fully intact because of the fact that his skin would soak up too much water to stay together, some of it would have to be replaced by water as it dies slowly, so i do not see how he should be intact in any way

#36    Jaik

Jaik

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:09 AM

I am reading the book A Superior Death, a mystery by Nevada Barr.  Ms. Barr is a US National park ranger who writes murder mysteries whose locations are actual national parks. The book describes the SS Kamloop and the body(ies, in the book) in the engine room as part of the storyline. She also describes the adipocere formation. ("Adipocere is a soft white substance formed postmortem from fatty tissue in a decomposing body" http://cat.inist.fr/...cpsidt=16750786) That the body is in such cold water enclosed in a room and protected from currents is how it still exists and is in the shape it is. I have no idea why they leave it down there. You can check out pics at http://www.sportsmans-link.com/galleries/d...erior/index.htm.

#37    ValkyrieVoice

ValkyrieVoice

Psychic Spy

• 1,439 posts

• "Bubble, Bubble Toil And Trouble;
    Fire Burn, And Cauldron Bubble.
    Double, Double Toil And Trouble
    Something Wicked This Way Comes."

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:28 AM

Scary For Kids on Feb 6 2008, 12:00 PM, said:

I came across an interesting story recently that circulates among diving enthusiasts. It involves a ship called The SS Kamloops that sank in 1927 off Isle Royale in Lake Superior. Some mystery surrounds the sinking of the ship. It was thought that there were no survivors, but six months later bodies were found on a nearby island. Apparently, survivors had starved to death waiting for rescue even though nobody was looking for them.

Divers say they hear stories from fellow divers about a body that is still trapped in the engine room of the wreck. The story goes that in a fresh water lake, at that depth, there are no fish to eat the remains and the temperature is so low all year round, that a body won't decompose. Also, it is too dangerous to recover a body trapped that far down. So the unfortunate crewman, nicknamed "Whitey" or "Grandpa" by locals, just floats there in the engine room, perfectly preserved.

Divers who have been down to the wreck have reported strange encounters such as being followed by the body or being surprised suddenly by the body floating towards them. They say the body is ghostly white and still has it's wedding ring on it's finger.

Seems odd to me that a body from 1927 would still be intact. Has anyone else heard about this legend? Can't find much info on it and it seems like it might just be an urban legend.

If the story's real, I think it would be cool if there were some way to capture pictures of it. Then the skeptics would come out of the woodwork saying it's a Photoshop piece, and then? We're back to where we all began.

"You Look Up When You Feel The Need For Elevation And I Look Down Because I Am Elevated. ..."

Thus Spake Zarathustra

-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

#38    vangalapati

vangalapati

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

I heard that dead bodies will mix with the soil.
But the body is in shipwreck,so it is mixed with the water,crocodiles will eat the body.
I am not  understanding how body is present on the shipwreck.
========================================================
timothy1

freeastro

Edited by vangalapati, 20 September 2008 - 08:22 AM.

#39    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:23 PM

conspiracybeliever on Jul 23 2008, 03:14 PM, said:

I've actually heard that there are well preserved bodies on the Titanic. Has anyone else heard that?

Titanic no.  The marine organisms have consumed everything, even the bones.  The funny thing though is that they HATE shoe leather.  It's true. There are many instances of pairs of shoes found lying in the Titanic Debris that are exactly spaced just as they were when the body wearing them rested on the bottom and was completely eaten by scavengers.  Nobody questions the fact these are the last resting places of the now completely consumed people.

There are actually organisms slowly digesting the iron of the ship itself.

But it is true that bodies can be preserved a long time in cold water if there are no oganisms to eat them.  Therefore this story can certainly be true, because intact bodies were also found on the Vasa, a Swedish ship sunk in the early 1600's. These bodies have been in the water for over 350 years!

Edited by draconic chronicler, 20 September 2008 - 12:31 PM.

#40    DJK0320

DJK0320

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 161 posts

• When everyone else leaves, you're stuck with yourself...--- Layne Staley

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

glorybebe on Feb 6 2008, 12:15 PM, said:

LOL, the temperature part I might buy, might, but the no fish part at that depth is so wrong.  There are bottom feeders in all lakes, unless the pollution has killed them off, and at the time of the sinking, there would not have been the pollution in the Lake that there is now.

Otherwise, a creepy little story.

Man i go to lake Superior every year to fish and camp. I hear this all the time. There are no fish at all at that depth because it is so cold and and the pressure is sooo high. Keep in mind this is a feshwater lake, and freshwater fish can't go that far deep because there is not alot of dissolved oxygen. So this legend might be true.

Alice in Chains= Best band period!!!

GO RAIDERS!!!

Go UW BADGERS!!!

I'd rather die on my feet than live a life on my knees....

#41    Captain Rachael

Captain Rachael

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

• Brain 'Splode.

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:04 AM

The Quizzle on Feb 22 2008, 03:12 PM, said:

There are human remains on the ship found in the engine room.  There were reports of bodies by divers but not officially confirmed until the NPS SCRU team with the assistance of ROV's recorded footage.

Footage, eh? ^ ^

Kitty Eat Sushi Good!
Meow.

#42    Golden Hawk

Golden Hawk

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

• History is where you confuse the long since deceased
    And irritate the h**l out of the living.

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:03 AM

Scary For Kids on Feb 9 2008, 05:24 AM, said:

Actually I did a bit of research on this. Found out that something strange can happen with bodies that are immersed in water for long periods. Layers of fat come to the surface of the skin, forming a chalky/soapy substance that hardens around the outside. Effectively protecting the skin from decomposition. I guess it's like a natural form of mummification.

They are called "Soap Mummies".  Quite Literally the body fat turns to a compound that resembles soap.

However these mummies have been entombed or buried, not immersed decades underwater.

IF, as you stated a body could continue to exsist at an extreme depth, then sunken ships, such as the Titanic at @2 miles below the surface, would still have some bodies "buried" in her.  With the exception of our stratosphere, there is virtually no place on this planet that does not have some form or type of bacteria that have exsisted for billions of years;  techincally the egg came before the chicken.  The human body itself, contains billions of bacterium, inside and out.

[/font] Golden Hawk

#43    Lightning88

Lightning88

Psychic Spy

• 1,139 posts

• When you reach for the stars you may not quite get one, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.
    -Leo Burnett

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:19 AM

it is possible there are areas on the titanic that dont have these organizms ,or maybe even dry. unless said bodies are locked in places on these ships i find it highly unlikly that they untouched by some sort of organizm. although in fresh water it is alot more likly than ocean.

#44    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,943 posts

• Things we don't want to happen, but have to accept. Things we don't want to know, we have to learn. People we can't live without, we have to let go.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:18 PM

Fascinating finding a thread on this as I find shipwrecks mesmerising. There is reference to the body in the engine room on the Kamloops in Dive and scuba Forums on the web, and it discusses the soapifying of remains in the Great Lakes. It must be the eddies of people moving about in the engine room that causes Whitey/Grandpa to 'follow' the diver. Must be quite creepy tho when you are down there!  ohmy.gif  

There are also well preserved remains in the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, saw that on a documentary several years ago. It is to do with the water temperature. There is a well known saying that the Greak Lakes do not give up their dead, and I believe this is part of the reason behind the saying.

Edited by sarah snow, 02 October 2008 - 10:18 PM.

A stumbling block is merely a stepping stone you tripped over

#45    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:35 PM

Shipwrecks are fascinating. I've been fascinated with them since I went to Maine years ago and saw these two ships they had pulled up. Very old ships they were trying to get funding to refurbish them. They were amazing. Standing there looking up at them, they were huge. I would have loved to go on them just as they were but of course we couldn't. But thinking about those ships, they had been under water for over a hundred years. It was incredible. One of these days I'm going back to see what they look like now.  I think it was Bar Harbor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users