Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Parallel "Universes"/Bizzarro Worlds do exist


  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1    airsoftbro11

airsoftbro11

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:08 AM

I'm sure many of you have heard this before but I just heard it and thought it was very interesting.  For this to apply, you have to believe that the universe is infinite.  This hypothesis is based on the expression "even a monkey smacking away on a typewriter will recreate Shakespeare if given an unlimited amount of time".  The hypothesis goes like this:
If the universe is inifinite, and the number of objects that inhabit it are infinite, then the number of galaxies are infinite, then the number of solar systems are infinite, then the number of planets are infinite.  If the number of planets are infinite, then there are an infinite amount of planets with the exact same geological makeup of earth.  If there are an infinite number of planets with the same geological makeup of earth, then there are an infinite number of planets that have the exact same amount of people who are genetically identical to every single person on our planet.  This means there there are an infinite number of people typing this exact same message onto the exact same website using the exact same computer that I am.  That also means that there are an infinite number of people exactly like me that will end this post here.


And there are an infinite number that will end it here.

And there are an infinite number that will end it here, while eating cheeetos.

That's just something I found fascinating to think about.  Pretty cool eh?

Edited by airsoftbro11, 21 February 2008 - 02:10 AM.


#2    darkbreed

darkbreed

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Joined:04 Nov 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Argentina

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:27 AM

Well thats how time travel works. You jump from one parallel universe to another one that is at a different time than the one you came from.

It's also interesting that there seem to exist all types of parallel universes including ones where we have parallel versions of ourselves but there are slight differences, such as some other friends, living somewhere else, or just a cat instead of a dog, or parents still married, etc.

Had a strange trip to one of those parallel dimensions myself, think i wrote about it somewhere here.

Cheers

www.PleiadianTalk.tk/ - Perspectives from a member of the Great White Brotherhood
American Atlantis Research - Documenting pre-colombian world migration and Atlantis-America
Increase your astral proection skills - Here at Unexplained Mysteries Forums!

#3    airsoftbro11

airsoftbro11

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:30 AM

I didn't mean it to sound that it's so much of a parallel universe, but simply another part of our own universe that is extremely far away (statistically, anyways).  Instead of spending all of our science fiction dollars on time travel, we should work on space travel, since we know at least that much is possible grin2.gif


#4    Meltus

Meltus

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined:10 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bury, Manchester, UK

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

airsoftbro11 on Feb 21 2008, 02:08 AM, said:

I'm sure many of you have heard this before but I just heard it and thought it was very interesting.  For this to apply, you have to believe that the universe is infinite.  This hypothesis is based on the expression "even a monkey smacking away on a typewriter will recreate Shakespeare if given an unlimited amount of time".  The hypothesis goes like this:
If the universe is inifinite, and the number of objects that inhabit it are infinite, then the number of galaxies are infinite, then the number of solar systems are infinite, then the number of planets are infinite.  If the number of planets are infinite, then there are an infinite amount of planets with the exact same geological makeup of earth.  If there are an infinite number of planets with the same geological makeup of earth, then there are an infinite number of planets that have the exact same amount of people who are genetically identical to every single person on our planet.  This means there there are an infinite number of people typing this exact same message onto the exact same website using the exact same computer that I am.  That also means that there are an infinite number of people exactly like me that will end this post here.


And there are an infinite number that will end it here.

And there are an infinite number that will end it here, while eating cheeetos.

That's just something I found fascinating to think about.  Pretty cool eh?

you say "even a monkey smacking away on a typewriter will recreate Shakespeare if given an unlimited amount of time."
Who says it will recreate shakespear? It's likely to happen, but that doesn't mean that it WILL happen.
and even if there are infinite worlds with exactly the same geological makeup of earth it doesn't mean that they all contain human life or even life at all. Say if i put a billion red balls into a bag and 1 blue ball (big bag tongue.gif) the chances of me picking out the blue ball at random are next to nothing, but not impossible. So, although the chances of another planet having life are almost certain, it doesn't mean that there is definatly life out there.
I'm not saying your wrong, just we'll never know for sure. original.gif


#5    OptimisticSkeptic

OptimisticSkeptic

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

  • Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. - Carl Sagan, "Cosmos"

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:13 PM

Meltus on Feb 21 2008, 08:06 AM, said:

you say "even a monkey smacking away on a typewriter will recreate Shakespeare if given an unlimited amount of time."
Who says it will recreate shakespear? It's likely to happen, but that doesn't mean that it WILL happen.
and even if there are infinite worlds with exactly the same geological makeup of earth it doesn't mean that they all contain human life or even life at all. Say if i put a billion red balls into a bag and 1 blue ball (big bag tongue.gif ) the chances of me picking out the blue ball at random are next to nothing, but not impossible. So, although the chances of another planet having life are almost certain, it doesn't mean that there is definatly life out there.
I'm not saying your wrong, just we'll never know for sure. original.gif



Meltus, I think you're missing the importance of the quantifier "infinite."  The statement "It's likely to happen, but that doesn't mean it WILL happen" is incorrect when infinite permutations are involved.  The correct statement would be, "If it's possible, given enough opportunity (either enough time for 1 permutation or enough simultaneous permutations) it MUST happen."  Since we know that at least one exactly Earth-like planet exists (ours, of course!) then we know that it's existence is possible.  Therefore, given an infinite number of planets, there is an infinitely large subset of those planets that are exactly like Earth, down to the last subatomic particle.  Infinity is just that huge, literally "unbounded."

I'll give you an even more extreme, but factual statement:  Given an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters, an infinite number of copies of Shakespeare's "Hamlet" will be produced in an infinitesimally short time span.

THAT is what Infinity can do for you.  That is also what engineers and physicists who are working on quantum computing are pinning their hopes on.  They hope to harness the power of an inifinite number of (virtual parallel) computers to solve well-defined, reiterative problems.

As airsoftbro11 stated, though, this all depends on the actual result of the statement, "If the universe is infinite..."

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

Hebrews 4:12, King James Version


#6    OptimisticSkeptic

OptimisticSkeptic

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

  • Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. - Carl Sagan, "Cosmos"

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

airsoftbro11 on Feb 20 2008, 08:30 PM, said:

I didn't mean it to sound that it's so much of a parallel universe, but simply another part of our own universe that is extremely far away (statistically, anyways). Instead of spending all of our science fiction dollars on time travel, we should work on space travel, since we know at least that much is possible grin2.gif



If the universe is infinite, and it's expansion is universally accellerating (highly probable based on recent observations,) then there is only a finite volume that is within timelike reach of where any observer can be located.  The end effect is that for any observer there is a "bubble" universe that is, in some respects, a blackhole cut off from the rest of the universe.  Light simply cannot travel to points in another "bubble" because all of the surrounding bubbles are receding faster than the speed of light.  In effect, this could be how "parallel universes" come into being without the problems of occupying the same region of spacetime in some spooky virtual state.  The speed of light quarantines every point in the universe, so that information from any point can only reach a finite number of other points.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

Hebrews 4:12, King James Version


#7    analog_warrior

analog_warrior

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

Infinate doesn't have to mean INFINATE. It only has to mean that planets and galexies are constantly being created.

/x/ is out there...

#8    OptimisticSkeptic

OptimisticSkeptic

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

  • Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. - Carl Sagan, "Cosmos"

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

analog_warrior on Feb 21 2008, 01:54 PM, said:

Infinate doesn't have to mean INFINATE.

Huh??? I must just be dense. If it doesn't mean infinite, then by definition, isn't it finite? Which is not infinite?

Quote

It only has to mean that planets and galexies are constantly being created.

In that case, we're talking about the universe being infinitely prolonged, with ongoing mass and energy creation. Therefore, at any give time the universe is finite, but over all possible times (the full spacetime continuum) the universe is infinite.

I'm not pushing the point, though, because I don't believe our singular universe is infinite. I believe it could be one slice of an infinite multiverse, though. Separate topic.

Edit: Need to stop proofreading AFTER I post.

Edited by OptimisticSkeptic, 21 February 2008 - 09:06 PM.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

Hebrews 4:12, King James Version


#9    Ashyne

Ashyne

    Atheist & Skeptic

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Joined:25 Aug 2005
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:15 PM

mathematical probability states that there is always a chance of this happening, however small, because of the vastness of the universe and of similar conditions throughout the universe. if the universe is infinite, and the experiment is tried over n over again, one day an exact replica of human society will be created. this could take countless experiments though, too many for anyone to count.

Posted Image


#10    vef3oh

vef3oh

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2007

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:04 PM

I have heard that though the universe may be infinite, the amount of matter in it is not.


#11    Showgirl

Showgirl

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Joined:13 Feb 2008

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:55 AM

OptimisticSkeptic on Feb 21 2008, 03:13 PM, said:

I'll give you an even more extreme, but factual statement:  Given an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters, an infinite number of copies of Shakespeare's "Hamlet" will be produced in an infinitesimally short time span.


Hi Os. that's coz Hamlet is finite whereas the 'contraints' are infinite. yes ?

vef3oh on Feb 21 2008, 05:04 PM, said:

I have heard that though the universe may be infinite, the amount of matter in it is not.


this is what i tend to believe is the case. i kinda dont think there are any other universes other than the one we're in. which means if there's finite planets, then a finite number of monkeys which in turn makes the infinite monkeys scenario impossible, huh Os ? wink2.gif

love Min xx


#12    TheDreamer

TheDreamer

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts
  • Joined:03 Aug 2007

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:18 AM

First of all, the universe IS infinite. Always has been since the first thought. The thought became a vibration and the vibration became a "string". This string creates existence as we now sense it.

My belief is that a "being" did create everything, but with a thought...a thought that was neither negative nor positive. As long as we exist and perceive to exist, then our negative and positive energies in turn keep us connected to our reality.

So yes, there are an infinite amount of universes but not every universe is the same, just variations. Variations of the first model, the beginning...the first thought.

So every time you think about what might happen, is now possible because of you.
FREE WILL





#13    airsoftbro11

airsoftbro11

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:33 AM

Showgirl on Feb 22 2008, 08:55 PM, said:

Hi Os. that's coz Hamlet is finite whereas the 'contraints' are infinite. yes ?



this is what i tend to believe is the case. i kinda dont think there are any other universes other than the one we're in. which means if there's finite planets, then a finite number of monkeys which in turn makes the infinite monkeys scenario impossible, huh Os ? wink2.gif

love Min xx


By definition, the universe is all-encompassing, so there can't be multiple universes.


#14    OptimisticSkeptic

OptimisticSkeptic

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

  • Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. - Carl Sagan, "Cosmos"

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:27 AM

Showgirl on Feb 22 2008, 07:55 PM, said:

Hi Os. that's coz Hamlet is finite whereas the 'contraints' are infinite. yes ?

Perzactly.  The interesting part is the "infinitesimally short time" because there is a chance, although very improbable, that as the paper "materializes" in this monkey/typewriter/paper filled universe, it will already have an exact version of Hamlet on it.  Since we have an infinite number of pages in this monkeyverse, that means an infinitely large subset of instant Hamlet.

Quote

this is what i tend to believe is the case. i kinda dont think there are any other universes other than the one we're in. which means if there's finite planets, then a finite number of monkeys which in turn makes the infinite monkeys scenario impossible, huh Os ? wink2.gif

love Min xx


I tend to agree, but I think of "particles" instead of worlds.  You could still have multiple exact copies given enough particles and/or time, but it gets more and more improbable as the total size of either time or particles gets smaller.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

Hebrews 4:12, King James Version


#15    Mad Cow

Mad Cow

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Joined:29 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • “Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.”

    ---Calvin & Hobbes

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:23 PM

The concept of Time is definitely bizarre, and will never be fully understood. Is it infinite? Is it an illusion? The concept will leave us with rhetorical questions until doomsday.

Can Time be manipulated? Anything is possible. I believe in the process of time traveling, but I think it'll take several thousands of years before it's perfected. Maybe Time is a concept of God. Maybe God is Time.

A bear is just a man who made a choice.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users