Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#16    drakonwick

drakonwick

Government Agent

• 4,198 posts

• There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

Heartagram3200 on Mar 11 2008, 03:35 PM, said:

Whats the point of going through life so close mindly anyways? It makes life so boring, everyone believeing in the mainstream concept of what "reality" really is...

I do have an open mnd! I do not mind playing around and goofing off with it either.
But, when you start acting as if all these claims are really true then thats a whole different thing all together.

There are limitations to what humans are capable of, (The limitations being magic, and altering stuff with mere thought.)
There has never been any credible evidence to suggest otherwise that humans can perform such feats.

Regards,
Tom

I remember the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says: "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." - J. Robert Oppenheimer.

#17    DfizzleShizzle

DfizzleShizzle

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

Moro Bumbleroot on Mar 11 2008, 04:28 PM, said:

I do have an open mnd! I do not mind playing around and goofing off with it either.
But, when you start acting as if all these claims are really true then thats a whole different thing all together.

There are limitations to what humans are capable of, (The limitations being magic, and altering stuff with mere thought.)
There has never been any credible evidence to suggest otherwise that humans can perform such feats.

Regards,
Tom

I do agree there are limitations, but we have not yet discovered those limitations...Science is in its beginning, we don't know even 10% of the stuff about this world, and this life...So those limitations, are only limited to what we can only now imagine...

"A believer is a songless bird in a cage, a freethinker is an eagle parting the clouds with tireless wings." -Robert G. Ingersoll

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins

#18    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:52 PM

Heartagram3200 on Mar 11 2008, 01:35 PM, said:

Whats the point of going through life so close mindly anyways? It makes life so boring, everyone believeing in the mainstream concept of what "reality" really is...

We just like people that tell the truth. Not make up stories.

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#19    drakonwick

drakonwick

Government Agent

• 4,198 posts

• There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

Heartagram3200 on Mar 11 2008, 04:36 PM, said:

I do agree there are limitations, but we have not yet discovered those limitations...Science is in its beginning, we don't know even 10% of the stuff about this world, and this life...So those limitations, are only limited to what we can only now imagine...

We may not understand how the mind works completely Heart! But, science has gained enough information about
the brain, as well as the body, to know what those limitations are. You just don't seem to want to get a grasp on that.

If any of these abilities were to actually become fact, it would be through technology advancements, not through some
mysterious abilities hidden or locked away in the mind or body.

Regards,
Tom

I remember the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says: "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." - J. Robert Oppenheimer.

#20    somekindlunatic

somekindlunatic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

• We are as butterflies, who flutter for a day and think it is forever.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:00 PM

Moro Bumbleroot on Mar 11 2008, 05:06 PM, said:

But, science has gained enough information about the brain, as well as the body, to know what those limitations are.

This sounds like an assumption.
In fact, it sounds like the same thing I've been hearing for 20 years

Is it still true that we use only ten percent of our brains?

#21    drakonwick

drakonwick

Government Agent

• 4,198 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:11 PM

somekindlunatic on Mar 11 2008, 06:00 PM, said:

This sounds like an assumption.
In fact, it sounds like the same thing I've been hearing for 20 years

Is it still true that we use only ten percent of our brains?

No, that is nothing but a myth.

The 10% statement may have been started with a misquote of Albert Einstein or the
misinterpretation of the work of Pierre Flourens in the 1800s. It may have been
William James who wrote in 1908: "We are making use of only a small
part of our possible mental and physical resources" (from The Energies of
Men, p. 12). Perhaps it was the work of Karl Lashley in the 1920s and
1930s that started it.

Perhaps when people use the 10% brain statement, they mean that only one out of every ten nerve cells is
essential or used at any one time? How would such a measurement be made? Even if neurons are not
firing action potentials, they may still be receiving signals from other neurons.

Link- 10% Brain Myth

Edited by Moro Bumbleroot, 11 March 2008 - 10:15 PM.

#22    somekindlunatic

somekindlunatic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

• We are as butterflies, who flutter for a day and think it is forever.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

Whew, glad we got that cleared up.
Sorry to go off topic
Anyway
Yeah, the power of thought is pretty amazing from what I have seen, of course telekinesis is a super-intriguing idea to most who have experienced any sort of impossible mind trick

And perhaps levitation is not too far from telekinesis

And we all now how cool that would be

#23    drakonwick

drakonwick

Government Agent

• 4,198 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:27 PM

somekindlunatic on Mar 11 2008, 05:24 PM, said:

Sorry to go off topic
Anyway
Yeah, the power of thought is pretty amazing from what I have seen, of course telekinesis is a super-intriguing idea to most who have experienced any sort of impossible mind trick

I suppose if a person can levitate objects with Tk! Then they should be able to levitate themselves as well.

#24    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

somekindlunatic on Mar 11 2008, 04:24 PM, said:

Sorry to go off topic
Anyway

Yes. All of it would be very cool and skeptics would love to see it be real, but nothing to show of it but made up stories, tricks, and hoaxes.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#25    DfizzleShizzle

DfizzleShizzle

Psychic Spy

• 1,318 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

Moro Bumbleroot on Mar 11 2008, 04:06 PM, said:

We may not understand how the mind works completely Heart! But, science has gained enough information about
the brain, as well as the body, to know what those limitations are. You just don't seem to want to get a grasp on that.

If any of these abilities were to actually become fact, it would be through technology advancements, not through some
mysterious abilities hidden or locked away in the mind or body.

Regards,
Tom

Alot about the brain huh? Then why is there still, a whole portion of the brain, they cant find out what its for....What we know now, will be dwarfed by future discoveries, that will change reality as we know it today...Like it or not...

"A believer is a songless bird in a cage, a freethinker is an eagle parting the clouds with tireless wings." -Robert G. Ingersoll

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins

#26    drakonwick

drakonwick

Government Agent

• 4,198 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:43 PM

Heartagram3200 on Mar 11 2008, 06:39 PM, said:

Alot about the brain huh? Then why is there still, a whole portion of the brain, they cant find out what its for....What we know now, will be dwarfed by future discoveries, that will change reality as we know it today...Like it or not...

I told you how it works Heart! You can believe what you want to believe. But, it doesn't make a difference.
As of now, we/humans cannot do anything like the claims you have presented. If a day comes when we can,
I will be glad to change my current view on these matters.

#27    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

Heartagram3200 on Mar 11 2008, 05:39 PM, said:

Thats nothing more than your wishful thinking and opinion. You have no idea what will happen. Unless you are also claiming the ability to see the future.

I can see it as well. I see no video on Friday.

#28    DfizzleShizzle

DfizzleShizzle

Psychic Spy

• 1,318 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:39 AM

Moro Bumbleroot on Mar 11 2008, 06:43 PM, said:

I told you how it works Heart! You can believe what you want to believe. But, it doesn't make a difference.
As of now, we/humans cannot do anything like the claims you have presented. If a day comes when we can,
I will be glad to change my current view on these matters.

No, the normal person doesn't try to gain these abilities, thats why they dont have em

#29    drakonwick

drakonwick

Government Agent

• 4,198 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:56 AM

Heartagram3200 on Mar 11 2008, 08:39 PM, said:

No, the normal person doesn't try to gain these abilities, thats why they dont have em

If you say so! But, your thoughts alone are not very convincing, as well as the other 100 or so members
that have come through here with the same claims.

Edited by Moro Bumbleroot, 12 March 2008 - 12:56 AM.

#30    Sporkling

Sporkling

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

And your claims are not very convincing either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users