Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

I created a new world religion

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#16    jpjoe

jpjoe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

No offense, but I'm skeptical about the whole story per se.

Though I remember a discussion I had with my anthropology professor stating a quite similar claim.

#17    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,510 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:19 AM

Just a story, no provenance to back it IMO

#18    positron

positron

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

• I believe that aliens do exist among us.

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:06 AM

You are so far out there it is almost unbelieveable !!!!
Fellow Traveler

#19    Mbyte

Mbyte

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

• Your scepticism disturbs me

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:33 AM

Is this "the secret"?

Also do the people realise that effect c is bogus or do they think it's a real effect. Could you give us a real life example of how this works?

Edited by Mbyte, 17 March 2008 - 04:38 AM.

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

#20    bveeman

bveeman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

• Never trouble trouble til trouble troubles you

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

I just love your stories Ironghost, you really know how to keep us coming back for more  tongue.gif   !!! I can’t wait for the next one….. I hope it’s a Ouija board story next time  crying.gif

#21    IronGhost

IronGhost

Government Agent

• 3,441 posts

• "DON'T TAZE ME, BRO!"

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

bveeman on Mar 17 2008, 04:49 PM, said:

I just love your stories Ironghost, you really know how to keep us coming back for more  tongue.gif   !!! I can’t wait for the next one….. I hope it’s a Ouija board story next time  crying.gif

Thank you bveeman, and welcome to UM!  Hope all is well in the lovely city of Ottawa.  As for my next column being an Ouija story -- I suppose that could be arranged.

EDIT:  Note to mbyte.  No, it is not The Secret, and at any rate, I will never reveal the name of the religion I created because A: I am bound by an air-tight legal contract to never do so, and B: My entire private world would be instantly exploded if everyone found out it was I who created it.

As for the latter point, I have reason to believe this would be so.  I'll write more about this in a bit, but let me just say that to "test drive" my new religion before it was released, I gave a lecture about the general philosophy and structure of the religion --without yet naming it -- in Los Angeles, and this turned out to be one of the weirdest moments of my life.  

I found the reaction of my audience to be unreal -- it made me realize how easy it would be to start a cult and become it's all-powerful figurehead - there are just so many people searching for meaning, and looking for someone to tell them something they can grab onto, cling to, and make sense of the world with.

But I'l write a longer note on this in a bit -- it will be an addendum onto the primary story I presented in the column -- or I may have to make it into an all-new column.

Edited by IronGhost, 17 March 2008 - 05:34 PM.

www.ironghost.wordpress.com

#22    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,935 posts

• Practice Random Acts of Kindness, they return to you!

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

SaRuMaN on Mar 16 2008, 04:47 AM, said:

linked-image

I can tell you that the new religion I created is moderately successful, so far. By that, I mean it now has active members in more than 20 countries, and although I can’t tell you how many believing members the religion has, it’s at least thousands, and it continues to grow, though slowly. I don’t know if the members of my new religion are any happier, or more fulfilled -- but some probably think they are. Other will no doubt practice my new religion for a while, and then become disillusioned. Personally, I do not believe in the structure and precepts of this religion of my own making. In other words, I created a new religion based largely on bulls*** -- yet harmless bulls*** -- of that, I have no doubt.

[b]So why did I do it? Of course, I did it for money.

IronGhost I have to ask the questions. You created a religion based on admitted advice from other worldly beings, whom quite possibly are malevolent in their intent. Do you lose sleep knowing that you have purposely set out to deceive your fellow man and quite possibly your own children and grandchildren for a handful of coin? If this religion grows internationally would you step forward and admit it was all a lie for the sake of personal greed?
Obviously you know there exists a world beyond this mortal existence from dabbling with occult forces of the Ouija board. Are you prepared to answer when you leave this world to the souls you willingly deceived in your life? Are you so sure it is harmless and cannot be twisted to the benefit of your employer?

Irish

Most people do not want to know the truth they only want confirmation for what they think is truth.

#23    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,935 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:56 PM

I am horrified that there are people like yourself who get kicks and kickbacks for telling a lie in hopes that his brothers and sisters would be deceived.
As for it being harmless, I am sure that the many people that designed built and operated the first atomic bombs felt that their part in it was harmless. And walked away with a fat paycheck, You have constructed a weapon far more deadly than a bomb “a lie” that distracts your fellow humans from knowing truth, a lie that may very well effect them for eternity and for what a few coins you have probably already spent.
There are many false religions out there and quite possibly only one that is right. Most were created because the founder truly believed he/her was spreading the truth and believed that what they were doing for the betterment of mankind. For this there can be forgiveness, as for purposely deceiving others that will become your personal legacy.

If I had made the same mistake as you I would seriously consider returning the blood money and revealing the deception. And willingly face the impending law suite that would follow.

Irish

Most people do not want to know the truth they only want confirmation for what they think is truth.

#24    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

From reading IronGhost's posts for a while now, I'd much rather have his idea of a religion out there then most religions that are 'saving' the world today.

Least I hope so. unsure.gif

tongue.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#25    DigitalSentinal

DigitalSentinal

Poltergeist

• 2,402 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:47 PM

Irish, I find it even more amazing that he managed to create a religion that finds its basis and stability in disciplines other than patheism, Indigenous ancestral worship and belief systems, the occult, extraterrestrials or otherdimensional Beings, world religions, and new age philosophy. A veritable coup d'etat, if you ask me.

Dunno how long something like this might last considering it fails to include any elements that have endured within the human psyche for tens of thousands of years, but what the hell - at least he got paid for it. tongue.gif

#26    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:03 AM

PT Barnum is not suprised.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#27    DigitalSentinal

DigitalSentinal

Poltergeist

• 2,402 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:36 AM

The Mule on Mar 17 2008, 07:03 PM, said:

PT Barnum is not suprised.

One of the few instances where Wikipedia made good on its promise.

Well, yeah, I assume also that this is a great fib, but what the heck - it's plausible. In theory at least.

#28    Shepwood

Shepwood

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:38 AM

One of my ex girlfriends was a Mormon, and thus I became interested in her religion.  There's a wealth of information available about the history of the mormon church and how the religion began.  I do not want to offend anyone of the Mormon faith, I have a high regard for all Mormons and I do not think their church is bad - It seems to work for a great number of people.  That said, I believe the church was begun in much the same way as this story describes.  Joseph Smith didn't have a Ouija board, but there are many ways to tap into these other worlds, worlds which seem to be brimming with entities who are eager to mess with our heads. One account has Joseph smith placing a seer stone in his hat, and placing the hat over his face to keep out all light.  The words of his bible (Book of Mormon) would then appear in the darkness and he dictated them to an individual who would write down exactly what was said. I think the islamic Book of Quran had a similar origin.  Muhammed meditated and the words came to him. I think both of these guys were duped.  They may have believed that the words were coming from a God, but it was really just a Ouija-type entity.  

During one of my ouija board experiences (actually my only one) I and a girl friend made contact with a mischievious character.  We asked his name, and he responded "Jehova." I recognized this as the name of God and immediately doubted that we were communicating with a God. It was the only name he/it ever gave.

When Joseph Smith was a young man, he was confused about which religion was true.  So one night, while alone in his room, he asked God which religion was true. An "angel" appeared and told him that none of the religions were true, and thus began Mormonism - "the only true religion".  Notice this dialogue began when Joseph asked a question into the darkness. I think when you do this, pretty much anything can answer - like a ouija board.

I think I know what principle A, and principle B, and the Effect C in this story is referring to. I don't know how it is created, but I am familiar with the effect (as are nearly all Mormons).  I asked my girlfriend (at the time) why she had such a deep and profound belief in her religion.  (You can not rescue a Mormon from their religion {or an islamic for that matter} because there faith is based on personal emotional testimony.) She said that when she was initiated into the LDS religion she was asked to place her hand on the Book of Mormon, and to ask for a personal testimony that words contained in the book were the truth, blah, blah.  She then received her personal testimony. She describes it as highly-emotional religious experience, something that cannot be removed. I believe her.  There is something to this.  It's difficult to understand, for a non-religious person, how people can become so intensly passionate about their religions.  People kill, people leave their families, people do the strangest things in the name of their religion - as we all know.  Well, principle A is placing your hand on the book (or whatever), principal B is asking whatever authority for personal testimony that the document is correct and truthful, and effect C is the resulting emotional experience that will forever bond that person to the religion.  Again, I don't know how this works.  Whether it is real or fake, it seems like some kind of spiritual stuff happens, it is evidently believable to those who participate.  

#29    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:07 AM

To me the blind leading the blind is far more palatable then someone who deceives for monetary personal gain. I believe what I believe from personal experience and have seen evidence that supports what I believe for over 25 years. I am supported by others I trust who have had the same experiences.
I would never forgive myself for intentionally deceiving others for my own financial gain. There are suckers born every day as PT Barnum states, but I would not risk my mortal soul in deceiving others nor would I do it out of common decency and respect for my fellow man. A lie is a lie and a liar is just that and is not someone I would call a friend or even associate with. Even if I was totally wrong with what I believe I can honestly say I did not intend to deceive anyone but spoke the truth as I knew it.

Irish

#30    MUM24/7

MUM24/7

All Words And No Action !!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

• When I'm hungry, I EAT

When I'm thirsty, I DRINK

When my coffee is strong, I ADD sugar

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:15 AM

IronGhost on Mar 18 2008, 04:24 AM, said:

, I will never reveal the name of the religion I created because A: I am bound by an air-tight legal contract to never do so, and B: My entire private world would be instantly exploded if everyone found out it was I who created it.

Next time I visit my local bookstore and head straight for the aisle labelled 'Religions : Flavour of The Month', I'll look for the book with grammatical errors and I'll know it's yours......

The above highlighted sentence should read, "My entire private world would explode in an instance......" OR "My entire private world would instantly explode..."

Don't give up your day job.... wink2.gif

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence,

Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users