Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 10 votes

Could Atlantis be under Greenland's Ice?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1166 replies to this topic

#76    Raven1971

Raven1971

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

• "And WHAT have the Romans ever given us?!?"
    "The Aqueduct?"

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

THAT GUY on Apr 3 2008, 08:53 AM, said:

Aren't the ice sheets on Greenland over one hundred thousand years old?

Yes, they are; they're over 120,000 years old, actually, according to core sampling.

Posted Image Campećo da Libertadores / Mundial / da Recopa

#77    M.A.D CapeBretoner

M.A.D CapeBretoner

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:32 AM

this is funny this is the 3rd one in a row on atlantis you guy must miss me.

i siad this before and here it is again may god our father bless you and all for it seems to me all and you are blind to the truth that has been put forth on this web site.

and that started in 06,jan 31 and when the time spane has reached 3 and a half you and all will know much ,much,more.

#78    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,556 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:48 AM

M.A.D on Apr 3 2008, 09:32 PM, said:

this is funny this is the 3rd one in a row on atlantis you guy must miss me.

i siad this before and here it is again may god our father bless you and all for it seems to me all and you are blind to the truth that has been put forth on this web site.

and that started in 06,jan 31 and when the time spane has reached 3 and a half you and all will know much ,much,more.

...MAD, you go through a whole post without mentioning Cape Breton Island is Atlantis. Are you feeling okay?

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#79    M.A.D CapeBretoner

M.A.D CapeBretoner

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:52 AM

i didn't have to you did and i thank you .

owe i feel good and you.

#80    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

• 9,556 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:55 AM

M.A.D on Apr 3 2008, 09:52 PM, said:

i didn't have to you did and i thank you .

owe i feel good and you.

I will say that you've convinced me that if Atlantis is anywhere, it's Cape Breton.

--Jaylemurph

edit: grammar

Edited by jaylemurph, 04 April 2008 - 04:55 AM.

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#81    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 11,073 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:54 PM

I'll tell you where Atlantis is - I can't stand this anymore.

GEOGRAPHICALLY Atlantis is in the Crimea. If you follow history and all information you will come to that place yourself, once I did that, there is a lot of evidence that this is where it is. Kerch, to be exact on Mithridat Hill. You only have to look at the history of the Black Sea, that it was a lake, rising of the seawaters to a Sea, which the Black Sea has some unusual qualities from this event, the Strait that leads out of it, the Bosphorus is where the water flooded in. Now look at the shape of the Peninsular, if you look at the Black Sea as the main sea mentioned in Plato and the Straits of Hercules as the Bosphorus Strait, the island outside it would be Crimea. It is only joined by a narrow land bridge to Ukraine, it very well could have been a complete island at any time during these rising and falling waters when the Black Sea was born from a freshwater lake.
Evidence of people there since 8000BC and quite an advanced people too for the time, the Greeks called it Tauri.

I got there by following many clues of Tantalis (Atlantis acronym), Solon's visit with King Croesus in Lydia, (which is the moral as well as some description of the richness of the palaces)the flooding of the Black Sea, Tauri legend has it the first humans came from Tauri (Atlantis) , it makes sense when you read up on all these things. See, Plato has mixed a story of true events as he states, but hidden in a story that is parts of many stories, one being Solon's actual life, the virtuous, as well as moral lessons through Solon's life such as the story he told to Croesus, which humbled Croesus in the end after his defeat by the Persians.

PHILOSOPHICALLY I can find endless links to Plato's riddle of what makes us a wise and virtuous person through humbleness and redemption, parallels to many Bible stories, explanation of the 10 plagues of Egypt, the Flood and pretty much everything that is applicable to Atlantis, even down to the earliest men springing up from Tauri. You have to look at everything as a riddle. At the same time it does indeed seem to be a historic account of man from primordal beginnings. (from Atlantis) Tauri. But it's not just this story that makes up Plato's narrative.

Regarding 'what makes a man happy?'  here's one I found: (because that's what Plato is asking us as well as other questions)
Let's look at this sentence by Plato: Tell us, said the other, the whole story, and how and from whom Solon heard this veritable tradition.
Let's look at what Solon told Croesus when asked who thehappiest man he ever knew was, (if it wasn't the rich and powerful King Croesus of Lydia)

Solon replied: "Yes, I have, and that was Tellus, a citizen of Athens.  He was an honest man who left his children well provided for and with good will in the city.  He lived to see grandchildren by his sons.  Then he died gloriously, fighting for his country."  

Tellus........is the happiest man..according to Solon     -   these clues are not in there by accident. I have a whole thread of these clues about Solon...

Afterwards, King Croesus was defeated by King Cyrus of Persia.  Croesus  lost his kingdom and was taken prisoner.  He was tied to a stake, and was about to be burned alive for the amusement of Cyrus, when Croesus cried out Solon's name three times.  Cyrus stopped the proceedings and asked Croesus whether this Solon was a man or one of the gods.  Croesus answered: "He was one of the wise men of Greece, whom I invited to my palace.  Not that I might learn anything, but so that he might witness my good fortune at that time.  The loss of it now is more painful than its enjoyment was pleasant.  My riches were really only words and opinion, and now they have brought me to be burned at the stake.  Solon saw me in my foolish prosperity and foresaw my present misery.  He warned me that I should consider the end of my life, and not boast on slippery ground, since no man is happy until he has died well."   Cyrus saw the teaching of Solon confirmed by such a notable example.  He released Croesus and kept him at his court as one of his most honored counselors.

HISTORICALLY The 'declination of the Heavens' can be explained by the melting of glaciers during the end of the Ice Age that once melted took enormous weight off the continental shelf (Europe) and it lifted or tilted up. The whole history of man is woven into the work from his Creation in Timaeus then man's primordal beginnings at Tauri.

The (Black) sea was navigable in those days....before the flood, that was when it became 'inhospitable'. History does show us that this is the place of Atlantis. Do the research and try to refute it, you can't.

Links to Wiki and Googling info can give all the information you just need to follow the history...Solon, Solon the Lawmaker is a brilliant reference, Herodotus histories are essential to read, matching Plato with historic events - Croesus, Lydia, Sardis, Georgia, Black Sea, Bosphorus Straits,  Crimean history at Kerch, Greek Corinth and Peloponnese War, Persian War and of course, Plato's Timeaus and Critias.

Edited by weareallsuckers, 04 April 2008 - 03:59 PM.

"The agony and the irony, they're killing me"
Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger

#82    Egyptian-Illuminati

Egyptian-Illuminati

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

weareallsuckers on Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM, said:

GEOGRAPHICALLY Atlantis is in the Crimea.

No, where is your proof. Is there any relations at all from Plato that its in the black sea? It was stated "Atlantic Ocean", and therefore Atlantis and Atlanteans.
I do not for a second believe Atlantis is under the black sea...... i do however believe there are sunken cities.

Fri. Nov. 7th/08

"Our nearness to you grows each day and soon we shall walk shoulder to shoulder with you."

-SaLuSa
Extraterrestial from the Sirius Constellation, member of the Galactic Federation of Light.

#83    Raven1971

Raven1971

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

"The Aqueduct?"

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

Egyptian-Illuminati on Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM, said:

No, where is your proof. Is there any relations at all from Plato that its in the black sea? It was stated "Atlantic Ocean", and therefore Atlantis and Atlanteans.
I do not for a second believe Atlantis is under the black sea...... i do however believe there are sunken cities.

Yes, actually, there is an account from Plato stating that it could be the Black Sea; however, one must observe the tale of Atlantis from an emic point of view (ie from within the cultural context of the ancient Greeks). To the Greeks, the "ocean" was a great river that encircled the world - in other words, the "known" world. So, to them, beyond the Dardenelles, the Black Sea was indeed in the "ocean" - and as the only "ocean" they knew was the one named after Atlas, the Black Sea was, indeed, the Atlantic - and it was beyond the Pillars of Hercules, no matter which way you sailed past them, the river would eventually come round.

Raven

#84    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,522 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

name='Raven1971' date='Apr 4 2008, 10:22 PM' post='2230196']
Yes, actually, there is an account from Plato stating that it could be the Black Sea;

Can you tell us where in Timaeus or Critias  the black is mentioned as being the Atlantic?

however, one must observe the tale of Atlantis from an emic point of view (ie from within the cultural context of the ancient Greeks). To the Greeks, the "ocean" was a great river that encircled the world - in other words, the "known" world. So, to them, beyond the Dardenelles, the Black Sea was indeed in the "ocean" - and as the only "ocean" they knew was the one named after Atlas, the Black Sea was, indeed, the Atlantic - and it was beyond the Pillars of Hercules, no matter which way you sailed past them, the river would eventually come round.

So... are you saying that the Greeks were completely unaware of the Black Sea settlements, and that as such they were unaware of the Black Sea being landlocked?

#85    Raven1971

Raven1971

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

"The Aqueduct?"

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

keithisco on Apr 4 2008, 06:52 PM, said:

Can you tell us where in Timaeus or Critias  the black is mentioned as being the Atlantic?

So... are you saying that the Greeks were completely unaware of the Black Sea settlements, and that as such they were unaware of the Black Sea being landlocked?

I never said that it was directly mentioned; I simply implied that in his repetition of a story (Plato's isn't the original account, after all), he might have used the original context, rather than the conventional, from a time before the Greeks were aware of the Black Sea being landlocked - from a time when their "known world" might have considered the Black Sea as merely being the far extreme of the river that circled the world.

#86    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

• 9,556 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

Raven1971 on Apr 4 2008, 03:22 PM, said:

Yes, actually, there is an account from Plato stating that it could be the Black Sea; however, one must observe the tale of Atlantis from an emic point of view (ie from within the cultural context of the ancient Greeks). To the Greeks, the "ocean" was a great river that encircled the world - in other words, the "known" world. So, to them, beyond the Dardenelles, the Black Sea was indeed in the "ocean" - and as the only "ocean" they knew was the one named after Atlas, the Black Sea was, indeed, the Atlantic - and it was beyond the Pillars of Hercules, no matter which way you sailed past them, the river would eventually come round.

Raven

You and WAAS should get together; it seems like your tortuous version of Greek knowledge would mesh well.

The Kingdoms of the Bosporus were early (6th/7th Century BCE) Greek colonies on the North Shore of the Black Sea. They would have known The Atlantic Ocean and the Black Sea didn't connect. In fact, we can read explicitly in Hecataeus of Miletus that the Greeks were aware of this.

This is map based on his writings; res ipsa loquitur.

--Jaylemurph

edit: Grammar

Edited by jaylemurph, 04 April 2008 - 10:36 PM.

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#87    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 11,073 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

Raven1971 on Apr 5 2008, 06:22 AM, said:

Raven

Absolutely Raven - it is the whole context thing. I'm glad you see it, follow what I said in my whole post and it becomes clear that it is where he is talking about. Let's look at Jason and the Argonauts too. he went to the Earth's end or World's end, his quest took him to the east edge of the Black Sea, it's everywhere, those who cannot accept this just are simply taking Plato's tale too literally.

#88    Raven1971

Raven1971

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

"The Aqueduct?"

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:41 PM

Admittedly my knowledge of Greek history is limited; I work with living Amazon indians, not dead Greeks. However, I will state for a fact that I believe Atlantis to be a myth, not a real place. Sorry if that doesn't mesh with whatever it is you happen to believe. I was merely trying to refute that other bloke's questioning of a possibility of the Black Sea, at which I failed. My humble apologies; I shan't speak about the Greeks again (unless some idiot tries to claim that they were here in the Amazon building temples)...

Don't worry - your sacred soap box is not under threat (fdp)...

Raven

#89    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 11,073 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

jaylemurph on Apr 5 2008, 08:35 AM, said:

You and WAAS should get together; it seems like your tortuous version of Greek knowledge would mesh well.

The Kingdoms of the Bosporus were early (6th/7th Century BCE) Greek colonies on the North Shore of the Black Sea. They would have known The Atlantic Ocean and the Black Sea didn't connect. In fact, we can read explicitly in Hecataeus of Miletus that the Greeks were aware of this.

This is map based on his writings; res ipsa loquitur.

--Jaylemurph

edit: Grammar

We should. And you have such great knowledge do you? lol I see you in Plato's tale......one of those who thinks they are so knowledgable but in reality, is not at all. A true Sophist. Come off your pedestal J, it will do you the world of good my friend.

The mediterranean is just the harbour spoken of - the Black Sea is the Atlantic Ocean in his tale. What the greeks thought they knew and what was legend is history told by the Egyptian priest could be 2 totally different things, see, it is spoken that the Greeks have lost the tale, again, you take it all too literally and try to connect it up with facts, which you don't even know are part of the time frame in the piece Plato is speaking.

Edited by weareallsuckers, 04 April 2008 - 11:32 PM.

#90    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 11,073 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

Raven1971 on Apr 5 2008, 08:41 AM, said:

My humble apologies; I shan't speak about the Greeks again (unless some idiot tries to claim that they were here in the Amazon building temples)...

Don't worry - your sacred soap box is not under threat (fdp)...

Raven

Raven, don't do that, you must speak the truth if you feel it that way, don't give in to those who think they are so knowledgable but may indeed be completely ignorant, you have humbled yourself so are on the true path to wisdom. (If you are into Plato's philosophies).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users