Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Here is the difference between orbs

cpjason

There are many threads on here asking about orbs since they are so common. I have explained many times what real orbs look like in my opinion. My opinion may not be the same as yours, but any skeptical paranormal investigator would probably agree with me.

These are real orbs..taken at a haunted site in Indiana

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

These pictures below are not real orbs...

linked-image

This one is dust particles reflecting the camera flash. I know because it was staged and taken on purpose.

linked-image

This one is rain reflecting camera flash. I know because it was staged and taken on purpose.

I wanted to post these so any new people visiting this forum would know the difference between a bad photograph and a real piece of evidence. There are so many ways to get photographic anomalies when you use a flash around reflective objects it can sometimes be hard to tell the difference. Even a particle of dust can reflect light if it's close enough to your camera.

To be honest sometimes rain orbs can look so real they can fool even me (the rain orbs above look fairly real). The key to knowing if they are real is occasionally only known by the person who took the photos. As an example I know the first 3 I showed you are real because it wasn't raining when they were taken, and dust orbs do not glow in such a way. Rain orbs that look real are fairly rare though, and most of the time you can tell the difference between a fake orb and a real orb right away if you have a trained eye.

Edited by cpjason

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Radian

• New School Percussionist

• NoahJaymes

• Lady Otterwynnd

In all honesty I think even with a trained eye they look almost identical. I'm of two minds about orbs anyway.

CP...the first few are moisture, and the last one before the fake ones is an insect....If you want to know why I think I know this I have over 150 experimental photos that LOOK IDENTICAL to those.

CP...the first few are moisture, and the last one before the fake ones is an insect....If you want to know why I think I know this I have over 150 experimental photos that LOOK IDENTICAL to those.

We can debate if they are paranormal for sure but they are not moisture. Notice the trails behind them, they are moving upwards. If they were water drops the tails would be on top as gravity pulled the moisture toward the ground.

The shudder speed was set to normal, and there was very little humidity in the air. I also often wipe the lense of my camera before I take pictures. I am open to theories.

I am not a expert in photography, so there may be an explanation. Even the guys at TAPS believe these types of orbs are genuine as I have heard Grant talk about them before.

Edited by cpjason

We can debate if they are paranormal for sure but they are not moisture. Notice the trails behind them, they are moving upwards. If they were water drops the tails would be on top as gravity pulled the moisture toward the ground.

The shudder speed was set to normal, and there was very little humidity in the air. I also often wipe the lense of my camera before I take pictures. I am open to theories.

I love the second one down. Some of those orbs are too cool, and IMO not pollen, dust or moisture. The color and location seem more consistent with paranormal..IMO...JN

and by what comparison is paranormal? There is no comparison so how can one lean toward paranormal if there is no chart to distinguish?

Also, as far as the trails being the way they are, if the area was moist and it is hot or humid outside, the moisture will rise causing such trails. Doesn't have to be droplets.

and by what comparison is paranormal? There is no comparison so how can one lean toward paranormal if there is no chart to distinguish?

You make a good point. From my perspective they are paranormal when I cannot explain them by normal means. That doesn't mean they are paranormal in truth, but I lack the skills to debunk them so you have genuine paranormal photos and ones that you believe are because you cannot disprove them personally.

The skeptic in me still wonders about them, as they were taken outdoors. Indoor photos are usually a much more controlled environment for good photography.

Moisture goes upward.. not downward. Evaporated water moves upward, not downward..

im not very big on ghosts and demons and all the paranormal, so would someone like to explain to me what are orbs and what they symbolize? as well as anything else relevant?

Orbs, some believe are spirits, or balls of spirit energy that's captured on film.

However, moisture, dust, pollen, humidity, etc can cause such orbs. Which tells you a lot about what people are working with. Yet, people cling to this "orb phenomenon" like its "Jesus in a Bottle"

i see, so its nothing threatening or dangerous at all?

How do we say that one is paranormal and other is not.. when we really can't put any validation to it. The top two, I've seen insects caught on film that looked like that.. so..

i see, so its nothing threatening or dangerous at all?

No, i wouldn't think so.. nothing dangerous about it at all.. imo.

:lol: that is true. because i see some orbs here and there with my naked eye... and i see things as well. so good to know its not dangerous :ph34r: if not ill use kung-fu ninja skills to protect myself

Karate chops just splices them in two....so my suggestion is you use Blow N' Bubbles...ya know when lil kids blow those annoying bubbles everywhere...those can catch orbs that you see with the naked eye....I think I saw Ryan from Paranormal state practicing this at a conference as a demonstration....weirdddd

:lol: that is true. because i see some orbs here and there with my naked eye... and i see things as well. so good to know its not dangerous :ph34r: if not ill use kung-fu ninja skills to protect myself

Well, ive never heard personally of any orbs chasing people & hurting them.. now, its NOT to say that it hasn't happend..

I'd be more scared of shadow people, and spooks showing up around my bed.

Karate chops just splices them in two....so my suggestion is you use Blow N' Bubbles...ya know when lil kids blow those annoying bubbles everywhere...those can catch orbs that you see with the naked eye....I think I saw Ryan from Paranormal state practicing this at a conference as a demonstration....weirdddd

sounds like fun, ill try it if it starts following me :lol:

Well, ive never heard personally of any orbs chasing people & hurting them.. now, its NOT to say that it hasn't happend..

I'd be more scared of shadow people, and spooks showing up around my bed.

an orb following you.... sounds like fun :lol: ill have an imaginary friend that actually follows me

now shadow people... im happy i havent met any yet :rolleyes: but the spooks showing around bed... ive had some of those... except they were white silhouettes instead of black... awkwardness... i kept looking at it and it was just... there... staying on my wall. i got a bit spooked but before i knew it i was fast asleep... and when i sleep... i dont wake up until my 10 hours of sleep are over B)

I have never seen a visible to the naked eye orb, but I know people who claim to have seen them. I have only a few photos like the "real orbs" I posted. Be they collections of paranormal energy or a complicated camera anomaly that I do not understand, they seem to be quite a rare occurence in my experience.

I haven't been able o reproduce an effect exactly like those first few orb photos and I have tried. I appreciate everyones interest.