Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Well i'll be damned!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Im-postle-able

Im-postle-able

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:31 AM

Article from New Scientist! AMAZING!!  http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundam...t-activity.html

We're right to be terrified, say physicists. Children generate poltergeist activity by channelling energy into the quantum mechanical vacuum.

Pierro Brovetto, whose last known address was the Instituto Fisica Superiore, in Cagliari, Italy and his colleague Vera Maxia wanted to explain the origin of poltergeist phenomena, characterised by objects flying around the room "of their own accord".

Brovetto and Maxia hypothesise that the changes in the brain that occur at puberty involve fluctuations in electron activity that, in rare cases, can create disturbances up to a few metres around the outside of the brain.

These disturbances would be similar in character to the quantum mechanical fluctuations that physicists believe occur in the vacuum, in which "virtual" particle and antiparticle pairs pop up for a fleeting moment, before annihilating and disappearing again.

Brovetto and Maxia believe that the extra fluctuations triggered by the pubescent brain would substantially enhance the presence of the virtual particles surrounding the person. This could slowly increase the pressure of air around them, moving objects and even sending them hurtling across the room.

I never thought i'd see the day we had some solid theories & evidence... i guess i was wrong...

Skeptics, hold your tongues  wink2.gif

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#2    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:43 AM

Perhaps they have a high zinc blood level.
There was an interesting post about a battery, zinc, and a levitation machine anyone can make at home that posted by another poster earlier.  original.gif

Posted Image

#3    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,199 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:04 AM

You can download the paper from

http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/0801.0382

It appears to be a speculative theory paper, with no evidence being presented that what its authors think could happen really does happen. At least it appears not to be an April Fool's joke.

Michael Persinger is on the journal's editorial board. You remember him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/godonbrain.shtml

and this is Brian Josephson's (mentioned in the New Scientist article as also on the editorial board) Nobel write-up from 35 years ago

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1973/

Edited by eight bits, 01 April 2008 - 01:17 AM.

Posted Image

#4    Atheist God

Atheist God

Alien Abducter

• 5,438 posts

• At war with the evil Drug Enforcement Agency for over a decade!

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:43 AM

Im-postle-able on Mar 31 2008, 07:31 PM, said:

Article from New Scientist! AMAZING!!  http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundam...t-activity.html

I never thought i'd see the day we had some solid theories & evidence... i guess i was wrong...

Skeptics, hold your tongues  wink2.gif

I will have to read he report first before I can comment on the study.

Seems to me like it's all theory to me. No real hard evidence is presented.

Posted Image

A site I write my own articles. sw-gm check em out.

#5    Blueguardian

Blueguardian

Poltergeist

• 2,248 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:00 AM

They try to come up with something for everything, sleep paralysis, esp etc. I guess this only proves to people that we can all move objects at will given the right circumstances.

Posted Image

(((Just My $00.2 cents)))

#6    inkblot

inkblot

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:09 AM

Someone should try to test their theory.

#7    True Believer

True Believer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:21 AM

inkblot on Mar 31 2008, 08:09 PM, said:

Someone should try to test their theory.

While I would love for a scientific study to be done on psychic phenomena this article is not such. I hate to sound like the local skeptics, but this is no more than a hypothesis here. Unfortunately the people that get a lot of credit for doing scientific analysis on the subject (CSI) seem to have a personal bias which stops them from always doing real science. Society is afraid to believe so they refuse to study it and people who do believe often times falsify stuff as well leading to a total disregard for science in the field of unexplained phenomena.

/rant off

If these scientists would do experiments to prove their hypothesis though I would love to see it.

#8    Sporkling

Sporkling

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:07 AM

Well its April fools day.

#9    Cyrhax

Cyrhax

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

it is true it's 1 april foolish day or however you say that in english, but still I HEARD(!) about a kid using energie on a thermometer to make it get hotter while he was half a meter away from the thermometer... ofcourse you hardcore sceptics will come up with some theorie he had condenced water under it or something but I think that guy just threw a psiball to the thermo meter and with that heating it up. So why wouldn't you consider it to be real?

If I made ANY english mistakes in my post please correct them, you never stop learning.
Why correct them? Because I'm 15 and still have english as a subject at school
"Energy flows wherever attention goes."
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." Robert Monroe

#10    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,199 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

I guess this only proves to people that we can all move objects at will given the right circumstances.

The paper, so far as I can see, does not address the issue of moving objects at will. It proposes a novel mechanism by which objects might move in the vicinity of some people because of their (supposed) physical situation, not particularly because of the person's wish that the object move.

If the paper's theory were true, it would place poltergeist events within the realm of physical phenomena, comparable in metaphysical import with my "ability" to affect radio reception by walking around the receiver's antenna.

Well, if the theory were true and poltergeist events were established to happen in the first place.

Posted Image

#11    bleedingelite

bleedingelite

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

Hm, for some reason it's only letting me see the abstract.

#12    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,199 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

If you're using my link, over the paper title and abstract, but under the banner and file reference, on the left is a set of five small icons: pdf, postscript, and three other formats. I downloaded the pdf version (first icon).

Posted Image

#13    She-ra

She-ra

~♥ Princess Of Power ♥~

• 10,859 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

Hmm, well there are MANY theories out there on different subjects in the scientific world. I would like to see this put into practice with test subjects. I'm sure there would be video documentation to view. Anyway, nice post. Thank you, Jody

Posted Image

#14    bleedingelite

bleedingelite

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:10 PM

Wow, that's neat stuff. I'm not even going to pretend to understand the mathematics, and I'm certainly no scientist, but I think it's a pretty cool theory from what I understand.

As far as experimentation goes, I think it would be difficult to find a particular pubescent kid who can cause it to happen.

Just for reference, I'm all for opening up a kid's brain if it's necessary. I don't like kids.

#15    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,129 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:18 PM

I've seen several attempts at trying to scientifically explain the Poltergeist effect - from ion flow to negative Casmir radiation.

I've yet to find one that can explain how some Poltergeists can articulate themselves and have distinct personalities.

NaNoWriMo 2014 - Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users