Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Interesting experimental results

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,834 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

About an hour ago I was in a lab alone finishing up an experiment. When cleaning up I decided to try a couple things with the oscilloscope. I tried the following experiment two different ways. One where I was grounded to the oscilloscope, and one where I was not. I positioned the probe about 5 cm from my cupped left hand. No matter how hard I tried or what I thought about, I did not succeed in changing the waveform on the oscilloscope. The electric field at that position never changed, no matter how much I "willed" it to. Just so you guys know...

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#2    MarkSteven

MarkSteven

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

nothing has to come from your hands, place the probe near your head (brain) to see if you get other results, then you have to tune the scope to the correct frequency. worth the try anyhow lol.

Warning:
anything that i say is based on my personal feeling of the topic at hand.
my opinion is mine and i'll try to be clear and to the point. i may be wrong, but that's my opinion.

This forum is called Unexplained-Mysteries, however some people think it should be called "Everything is provable with science"

check this - http://www.astralvoyage.com

#3    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,834 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

I tried placing it to my head also... nothing happened.

Hahah, funny, tune the scope to the correct frequency... yeah, you dont really know what on oscilloscope is, do you?

----Seraphina

#4    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:32 PM

Pictures Please  grin2.gif

Posted Image

#5    AngelOfMusic

AngelOfMusic

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 195 posts

• Super Duper effort there, pal.

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

What's an oscilloscope, and what are you trying to prove?

Please repeat it in dumb language please, for us non-good-at-science-people please?

Angel x

You'll give your love to me, for love is blind.

The phantom of the opera is now, your mastermind

#6    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,834 posts

-Patton

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:14 PM

An oscilloscope is something that measures electric fields/currents, etc. I showed that you cant alter any sort of electric field at a distance with meerly your thought.

----Seraphina

#7    AngelOfMusic

AngelOfMusic

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 195 posts

• Super Duper effort there, pal.

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:16 PM

aaaaaaaaah...thanks, i knew i'd heard about it in physics!

Angel x

You'll give your love to me, for love is blind.

The phantom of the opera is now, your mastermind

#8    Im-postle-able

Im-postle-able

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:56 AM

AngelOfMusic on Apr 3 2008, 08:36 AM, said:

What's an oscilloscope, and what are you trying to prove?

Please repeat it in dumb language please, for us non-good-at-science-people please?

Angel x

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rC8HBcsNm2g
Nerdy factual demo of an oscilloscope

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s1eNjUgaB-g
Awesome "hacking" of an oscilloscope for funky looking pictures

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#9    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Stellar on Apr 2 2008, 09:52 AM, said:

About an hour ago I was in a lab alone finishing up an experiment. When cleaning up I decided to try a couple things with the oscilloscope. I tried the following experiment two different ways. One where I was grounded to the oscilloscope, and one where I was not. I positioned the probe about 5 cm from my cupped left hand. No matter how hard I tried or what I thought about, I did not succeed in changing the waveform on the oscilloscope. The electric field at that position never changed, no matter how much I "willed" it to. Just so you guys know...

Good think no one walked in on you...I can only imagine the look on the faces of your colleagues as you tried to explain you were attempting to measure a " psi-ball"...or better yet, attaching a probe to your head... laugh.gif You would never live it down if I was the one that caught you!

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

#10    druman7

druman7

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

i would suggest thinking this through a little more carefully before reaching conclusions.  

how to make better measurements:
- what was the scope probe gain? 1X? 10X? 100X?  i would even suggest not using a probe, but something with a large surface area.  As you know, the electric field is in volts/meter, hence something with a large surface area will give you a larger magnitude.  
- construct a faraday cage around yourself to block out noise.

- draw a schematic.

if someone can answer this:
i know that our neurons can produce electric fields, but how does a self-sustaining electric field travel through space without any observable charge carriers?

#11    MarkSteven

MarkSteven

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

Stellar on Apr 2 2008, 10:14 PM, said:

An oscilloscope is something that measures electric fields/currents, etc. I showed that you cant alter any sort of electric field at a distance with meerly your thought.

only that your scope or probes aren't sensitive enough to pick up brain waves, those are measurable, also you are able to tune the scope but the range is not sensitive enough to measure thought (electrical impulses). you would need a Electroencephalogram for that.

Edited by MarkSteven, 03 April 2008 - 04:51 PM.

Warning:
anything that i say is based on my personal feeling of the topic at hand.
my opinion is mine and i'll try to be clear and to the point. i may be wrong, but that's my opinion.

This forum is called Unexplained-Mysteries, however some people think it should be called "Everything is provable with science"

check this - http://www.astralvoyage.com

#12    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,834 posts

-Patton

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

Quick post before I head off to work.
1. It didnt look all that bad when I was doing it.
2. Noise is not a concern. No faraday cage is needed. The noise is miniscule, and would not block out any sort of electric field that would be strong enough to accomplish what some people say they can do.
3. A bigger surface area on the probe is not necessary for the same reason as above...  Plus... if the strength is 1 V/m, the induced current will be 1 volt at 1 m from the source, regardless of the size of the probe.

----Seraphina

#13    bleedingelite

bleedingelite

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:27 AM

Stellar on Apr 2 2008, 06:14 PM, said:

I know I'm just being irritating, but you actually showed that YOU can't alter any sort of electric field at a distance with merely your thought.

#14    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,834 posts

-Patton

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:49 AM

bleedingelite on Apr 4 2008, 04:27 AM, said:

I know I'm just being irritating, but you actually showed that YOU can't alter any sort of electric field at a distance with merely your thought.

So are you suggesting that psions are physiologically different? They have an organ capable of doing that which I dont have?

----Seraphina

#15    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,150 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

Well, Stellar, B has a point there. You made a casual attempt to investigate someone else's claim. You did things in good faith, what you imagine a claimant would do, and you got no result.

What can be inferred from this? You are not currently able to do this feat. The possibility remains that you could do it, or that indeed you cannot do it, but that others can.

Example: I cannot currently write with my left hand. I am convinced, however, that there are other people who can. I do not think that these people are "physiologically" different from me, except perhaps at the level of the subtle details of synaptic connections, etc.

Moreover, I know at least one person like me, a rightie, who learned to write with her left hand when she injured her right wrist. Therefore, I do not rule out the possibility that even I might accomplish the feat if I worked at it more than a single session of desultory screwing around, ending with "nope, that doesn't work" when I lost interest in trying further.

I hold no brief for the ability that you investigated, and admire both that you tried it for yourself and that you reported what happened. Nevertheless, there is only so much that can be inferred from any sample of size one, and surely not a universal generalization.

You win the experimental method prize, B gets the logic laurels.

Edited by eight bits, 04 April 2008 - 10:02 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users