Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

emotional connection to a different era

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#46    morrigan

morrigan

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

• do or do not...there is no try

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:32 AM

I've always had a facination for ancient Rome. I've read many books on the subject and I love watching shows on TLC and The History Channel about it. I'm not too sure on the whole past lives thing, but who knows. I suppose most anything is possible.

Posted Image
The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself. - Sir Richard F. Burton
Politics is the conduct of public affairs for private advantage.  - Ambrose Bierce
Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. - Vincent Van Gogh

#47    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

• States are domed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.

- Antisthenes.

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

I've had a longing to the eras of The Pax Romana, The early & late ages of Medieval Europe. I am skilled with a sword, and I always wanted to venture off on an adventure, and the early middle ages would be the perfect time. As for the late middle ages, I'm drawn to it particularly thanks to the Renaissance. Besides that, I've always felt a connection to the Pax Romana as many great thinkers were in that time.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#48    Asphodel

Asphodel

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

• "I'm a perfect devil. Tell me how bad I am. It makes me feel so good!" -Lestat de Lioncourt ;-)

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:20 AM

One of my problems with past lives is people romanticizing "their" era. I'll admit there were a few nice things about all of these eras, but most of it was crap. Almost always definitely more so than now. Few people mention periods within the 20th century, which would make the most sense. It's always ancient or medieval this or that. I tend to think that the more recent years would be the most fresh in our consciousness. I also tend to think that these remembered years might be spaced in lifetimes, rather than here and there throughout the time line. Now, I know we can't remember all, but some things just make more sense.
If I was anyone in a past life, I already know who. There are too many feelings and likenesses to be coincidence. I wish I could know more about her. It's nothing far fetched, either. Local, and as realistic as such a thing can be. I wish more people shared accounts like that. I'd find them much more believable.

Asphodelus ramosus
-White Asphodel-
-Food For The Dead-

~Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me~

#49    momentarylapseofreason

momentarylapseofreason

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,132 posts

• Warning: This member may contain traces of Nut

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:48 AM

telirium on Apr 4 2008, 02:28 AM, said:

okay this might sound weird but i have strong emotional connections to the past and i don't know why. for instance, i feel most strongly about the early to mid 1800s. everytime i see or read anything related to this particular era i feel nostalgic. weird i know. i love everything about this era. the clothes, the housing, the still undiscovered landscape, etc. i also feel nostalgic with the mid to late 1700s. but i cannot stand anything after 1910 and i especially hate the 50s, 60s and 70s. samething with those eras with the lifestyles, clothing, housing. is this normal and does anybody else get connections to the past like this?

I have the same thing since childhood.I feel connected to the 19th century, Renaissance time, 1920's-30's & esp. to Britain, a part of Russia and the Basque area. There is doctor or Professor or something that claims we have "genetic memory from our Ancestors that has been passed down.

I don't know if this is true but it may be a good explanation of these feelings.

This guy also does past life regression and this is his theory.

Maybe it is influenced through the media somehow ? (on a subconscious level)

Edited by momentarylapseofreason, 27 June 2008 - 01:51 AM.

If religion contained any truth, it could be ridiculed, insulted, even defiled without being diminished in any way. Its truth would shine through undimmed, unblemished, shaming those who abused it into silence. But that's not how things are. Religion is prickly, it's intolerant, it's ultra-defensive precisely because it's brittle and fragile.- Pat Condell

#50    WARRIOR FOR THE LIGHT

WARRIOR FOR THE LIGHT

Poltergeist

• 2,321 posts

• It is good to give him thanks and praise...

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:08 PM

telirium on Apr 3 2008, 09:28 PM, said:

okay this might sound weird but i have strong emotional connections to the past and i don't know why. for instance, i feel most strongly about the early to mid 1800s. everytime i see or read anything related to this particular era i feel nostalgic. weird i know. i love everything about this era. the clothes, the housing, the still undiscovered landscape, etc. i also feel nostalgic with the mid to late 1700s. but i cannot stand anything after 1910 and i especially hate the 50s, 60s and 70s. samething with those eras with the lifestyles, clothing, housing. is this normal and does anybody else get connections to the past like this?

I beleive in reincarnation so it could be past memories of a very loved life you had then....
Food for thought original.gif

#51    DarkWolfSpirit

DarkWolfSpirit

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

• Dont annoy me, im running out of places to hide the bodies

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

In school a while ago we were watching a video of the Pompeii eruption and I felt like I knew what was happening. It was like I had heard the confusion and noise before and it was very strange.
Maybe you just like that era, but i belive in past lives so maybe you were there. But i dont know, it depends on your point of view.

Let fenris cry, aaa-oo, aaa-oo
The varg thats free is always true.
A mountain song, aaa-eee, aaa-eee
When darkness fills the world with lies,
she falls like snow from troubled skies.
Deliverer, Deliverer

~David-Clement-davis 'The Sight'
Posted Image

#52    twisterjester

twisterjester

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:59 AM

telirium on Apr 3 2008, 06:28 PM, said:

There can be a lot of emotional connections with times and places.  Whether or not those affinities mean anything significant is open to interpretation.  Your tentative query hints that you're thinking reincarnation, which could be an explanation.  So could a latent memory of a trip to the museum when you were too young to consciously recall, or just plain old imagination - or even more plain just liking something for the sake of liking it!

I am not dismissing any ideas you have.  They're as valid as mine. grin2.gif  I just think the best way to answer your own questions is to go looking not only to other people, but also inside yourself.

The body needs food, water and air to subsist; so does the soul need love, laughter and imagination.

#53    ValkyrieVoice

ValkyrieVoice

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

• "Bubble, Bubble Toil And Trouble;
    Fire Burn, And Cauldron Bubble.
    Double, Double Toil And Trouble
    Something Wicked This Way Comes."

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:04 AM

telirium on Apr 3 2008, 08:28 PM, said:

I posted on this very thing in another catagory. I literally break down and weep whenever I see a picture, video, documentary, etcetera of/on Avalon, and I become extremely emotional toward Ireland. Neither place mentioned have I ever been in this lifetime, I assure you. However, I am emotionally attached to the Medieval era and can relate to most things Medieval, and believe that I was a dancer for men in that era in another lifetime. Now, I don't have any proof of this, but, yes, the emotions and the knowings and the relatings are indeed a part of me.

"You Look Up When You Feel The Need For Elevation And I Look Down Because I Am Elevated. ..."

Thus Spake Zarathustra

-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

#54    Blue Box

Blue Box

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

• You live and learn. At any rate, you live.

~Douglas Adams

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:55 AM

telirium on Apr 3 2008, 09:28 PM, said:

I do too, get the connections with eras from the past.  I like you have a not really hatred really but a dislike to things from the 50s, 60s and 70s.  I get odd connections of pride from things from the past or the country of Scotland (especially before and during the Medieval era).  I can not explain it at all I'm from the US and have never even been to Scotland (nobody in my family really ever talks about Scotland or Scottish things), but yet I have a since of pride for it.    I also have been drawn to the Elizabethan era and during her father's reign also (it interests me I guess, not so much pride but just interest).  I'm also intrigued by the Nazi Germany time frame all sorts of interesting not to mention horrible things happened.  Hitler has forever intrigued me, what made him tick, what happened in his life to make him do what he did (there are many theories out there)?   I also have been interested in the Jews at this time what they went through and such.  When I was younger I also had memories or daydreams/dreams that I was at one time an American Indian, but I never felt a big draw to that type of life only pride there too.
If I really had to guess I would think that I once lived in a past life in Scotland (before or during the Medieval era or both who knows) that I really loved my country at that time and that my life was a good one then.  As for the English one I have always held a odd sense of fear but was oddly drawn to it maybe I had a past life there too although maybe not a happy one and that I lived in constant fear.  The intrigue that has come from the Nazi Germany era I think was just natural intrigue since I have never felt anything for it but questions and curiosity.  The Amer. Indian one I feel that I might have had a past life as an Indian but that I may have been pretty young when I died then.
As for the 50s, 60s and 70s I'm not too sure they have just never interested me in fact they disgust me at times I'm really not sure why.  Maybe I had another past life at that time and it was a horrible one who knows.

"Wibbly wobbly explodey wodey."~Doctor Who

#55    TheLivingDead

TheLivingDead

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

• I'm your huckleberry.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:23 AM

Asphodel on Apr 3 2008, 11:07 PM, said:

I primarily feel attached to the 1960s (England), 1910s (America), 1800-10s (France), and 1770s (France). I feel attached to the Elizabethan period (England), high renaissance (Italy), and ancient Greece as well, but to a slightly lesser extent. It probably sounds ridiculous, all those years. A lot of my interests and preferences reflect those particular years.
The 1960s gives me a sense of interest and of youthful belonging.
The 1910s gives me a bittersweet feeling.
I love the 1800-10s, and the 1770s. They feel very "me". If you knew me, you'd understand.
^^^ I love furniture, fashion, music, and lifestyle from all of the above. I enjoy the art to an extent. I don't like much of the art from the 60s.
I doubt my interests/attachments mean anything, though.

Are anyones periods of interest linked to nations?

Europe, mainly the UK.  I am particularly interested in the 1300s-1800s.  Other than that, I could really care less.  I especially could care less about American history even though I live here.  Its just not interesting to me.  I am very attached to London and I don't know why.

The 1910's give me a bittersweet feeling too, so I know how you feel.  I LOVE the art and furniture from the 1700s and 1800s also, it is absolutely beautiful.  I wish I could have lived back then.

#56    Oderint

Oderint

Psychic Spy

• 1,651 posts

• Buggere Alle this for a Larke.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:46 AM

I'm drawn towards the late 1800s here (europe/norway).
Don't know why, but I think we have these fascinations because certain eras represent certain traits within ourselves.
For example when I say late 1800s I think of the "gentleman-era", with men in hats, a suit and possibly a cane, woman with big dressed and kids running around in the streets pestering the grown-ups original.gif
It just seems like a more quiet time than what we have today.

The Legend of the Ice people
Reviews here
Formerly known as Prawus

#57    Aranel

Aranel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

• "Which is it-a memory or us?"

-Tifa Lockheart,FF7:Advent Children

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:49 AM

Maybe it has to do with reincarnation.

"When single shines the triple sun,what was sundered and undone shall be made whole,the two made one,by Gelfling hand or else by none."

-Wall of Prophesy,the Dark Crystal

#58    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:52 AM

1973 I was watching OJ, Bob MacAdoo, and The French Connection play for my local sports teams.

Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, FLoyd, Eagles, Bowie, Stones.....

Edited by The Mule, 16 July 2008 - 12:54 AM.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#59    MaggieDruydess

MaggieDruydess

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

• "Perception is more pleasing then the Truth."

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:57 AM

I have a strange obsession with the 1920's New England. The Latchis Theatre to be exact.  The first time I went there I felt like i knew every inch of the place and feel incredibly drawn to it.
I also have a strange fascination with 1300s Ireland, County Cork is the modern name of the area i seem drawn to.
There are a few other times and places as well but I will not leave a long list.

"Civilization is a conspiracy to disguise the mutilation of nature."

#60    shutter speed

shutter speed

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

• I am a man, and whatever concerns humanity is of interest to me.

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:24 AM

I feel a strong connection to medieval Europe and in particlar the Celts. If you ask this question of my wife though, she would say with my uncanny resemblance and behaviour of a caveman, i would fit right in with all my bros in the stoneage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users