Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Microbes in Venus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,352 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 26 September 2002 - 12:27 PM

Microbes Could Be in Venus Atmosphere

Reuters

LONDON (Sept. 25) - Venus, the nearest planet to Earth, is too hot to support life but American scientists believe microbes could be living in its atmosphere.

Dirk Schulze-Makuch and his colleague Louis Irwin at the University of Texas at El Paso have been studying conditions in a region of the atmosphere of the planet that has a high concentration of water droplets.

Using data from the Russian Venera space missions and the US Pioneer Venus and Magellan probes, they noticed oddities in its chemical composition that they think could be explained by the presence of microbes.

They noticed an unexpected absence of carbon monoxide and found hydrogen sulphide and sulphur dioxide, two gases which react with each other and are rarely found together unless something is producing them.

''Schulze-Makuch thinks that bugs living in the Venusian clouds could be combining sulphur dioxide with carbon monoxide and possibly hydrogen to produce either hydrogen sulphide or carbonyl sulphide in a metabolism similar to that of some early Earth bugs,'' New Scientist magazine said on Wednesday.

Other scientists are skeptical because more than tiny droplets of water are needed to support life.

But Schulze-Makuch believes the temperature of Venus was once much cooler and there could have been oceans on the planet.

''Life could have started there and retreated to stable niches once the runaway greenhouse effect began,'' he said.

Mental

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#2    azazel

azazel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

• I have crossed Oceans Of Time ....... Bram Stoker's Dracula

Posted 26 September 2002 - 02:19 PM

Hey there Mentalcase, interesting. It is possible that microbes have evolved and can survive in these condiitons on Venus.

It reminds of something I read a while ago about crabs and tuber worms being able to survive at the base of an oceanic volcanos, where tempa can reach several hundred degrees Celcius  :s01

Wonders will never cease as long as you never cease to wonder  ;D

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean......ST Coleridge

#3    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,352 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 26 September 2002 - 02:23 PM

Goes along with the same thoughts about Europa (Jupiter's moon), they believe that life could exist around geothermal vents under the "frozen ocean."

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#4    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 07:54 AM

venus is a very interesting planet.  it is very earthlike in some ways, but drastically different in others.  i wonder if humanity will ever find a way to terraform it?  that would be cool.

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#5    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 09:44 AM

"...studying conditions in a region of the atmosphere of the planet that has a high concentration of water droplets."

That shouldn't be hard to find, since Venus has more water droplets than any other terrestrial planet. Still, though, you would think even the hottest planet would have some kind of life.

MC,
There are a number of experiments in Antartica where they're drilling so far into the ice(practically all the way to hell) looking for signs of life either past or present. Perhaps if life can be found under 1000 ft of ice, it would be likely to find life on Europa.

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users