Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

comet planet heading for earth

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:19 PM

well im only 14 years old and if i asked any of my friends if they knew what galaxies will colide with our galaxy in the distant future they wouldnt have a clue.

thats a very interesting story about the shark and how it tried to eat you, but it still doesnt answer my question.  where the hell is my sandwitch!?

#32    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

almost forgot to mension that it isnt a comet after all, i only found out a couple of weeks after i posted this topic, but i can show you the orbit of it going around our solar system if you want me to show it.

well actually it is a predicted orbit

thats a very interesting story about the shark and how it tried to eat you, but it still doesnt answer my question.  where the hell is my sandwitch!?

#33    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,217 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

dr alien on May 8 2008, 10:22 PM, said:

almost forgot to mension that it isnt a comet after all, i only found out a couple of weeks after i posted this topic, but i can show you the orbit of it going around our solar system if you want me to show it.

Go ahead, I need a laugh.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#34    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,217 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

dr alien on May 8 2008, 10:19 PM, said:

well im only 14 years old

14 and you don't know the difference between sound and radio. Boy science education has deteriorated.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 08 May 2008 - 09:24 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#35    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

my physics teacher has only taught my class about magnets and crap.  nothing about radiowaves or space

#36    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:29 PM

dr alien on May 8 2008, 02:30 PM, said:

well how much i know for my age.
this is starting to become a good arguement

At 14, I should think that you would be interested in learning, not argument...
Knowledge is a key to actually being able to argue.

Might I suggest you take Waspie's words to heart...after all, he's been studying the topic twice as long as you've been on the planet.

Kindly recall that I responsed to your original post:

What is a "comet planet"?

No, I don't think it can happen. You're talking about Comet "Lee" (1999/H1), which won't be around again in the life time of anyone on this planet currently...nor in the next 30 to 40,000 generations...let alone in 2012.

The "prophecies" regarding this very long period comet arose from something called the Millenium Group (a name which, since the 1996-1999 TV show "Millennium", has become a somewhat catchy for alot of organizations).

This particular "Millennium Group" appears to be a bunch of pseudo-scientists who not only watched a pretty darn good TV series, but took it far too seriously, and thus create lots of doom and gloom theories about things they can't substantiate.

Comet 1999/H1 is gone...forever, as far as anyone on Earth is concerned.

You never responded to that....

#37    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:29 PM

Attached File  planetxorbit1.jpg   8.03K   22 downloads

#38    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:32 PM

MID on May 8 2008, 09:29 PM, said:

At 14, I should think that you would be interested in learning, not argument...
Knowledge is a key to actually being able to argue.

Might I suggest you take Waspie's words to heart...after all, he's been studying the topic twice as long as you've been on the planet.

Kindly recall that I responsed to your original post:

You never responded to that....

i've never heard of the show.  i do like learning new things.  i do watch programmes like the universe and anything else i can find related to the cosmos

#39    Moonie2012

Moonie2012

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

Holy GOD that picture is conclusive!

Call the papers! We all gonna die from planet X!

Edited by Moonie2012, 08 May 2008 - 09:35 PM.

#40    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

dr alien on May 8 2008, 05:28 PM, said:

my physics teacher has only taught my class about magnets and crap.  nothing about radiowaves or space

What grade are you in, Dr.?

9th?  

Earth and Space Science used to be a course offered in the 9th and 10th grades...as I recall.   That's a good primer.   Introductory Physical Science is at your level.   Do they have that in your school?  

Look...if you think magnets are crap, and haven't learned much about space or light waves...perhaps you might want to go to the Space Q&A thread and pick some brains??

There's a bunch of pretty qualified folks here who know something about that stuff!

#41    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:41 PM

dr alien on May 8 2008, 05:32 PM, said:

i've never heard of the show.  i do like learning new things.  i do watch programmes like the universe and anything else i can find related to the cosmos

Well, I'm sure you haven't heard of the show.  You were 2 when it came out, and 5 when it ended.
But that wasn't the point of my post.

I am pleased you like learning new things, and that you watch educational programming.

Here's something for you:

You just posted a picture which is a representation of an elliptically orbiting item around the Sun that had nothing on it but a caption "The Orbit of Planet X".

There are no references as to where it came from, or scale, or period, or anything...just a statement.
Understand that this means absolutely nothing...if you're attempting to show that "Planet X exists".  It's a non-descript picture that could've been made up by anyone.

#42    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,217 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

Ok, so you have posted a picture. It means nothing. Anyone can draw that.

What is the source of that picture? What ACTUAL evidence is their for such a body? For an orbit to be plotted that accurately the object must have been observed. Who observed, using what instruments and when?

I can answer all of these questions for you accept the source of the picture.

Q.What actual evidence is their for planet -X.
A. None.

Q. Who observed it.
A. No one.

Q. Using what instrument.
A. See above.

Q. When.
A. See above.
---------------------------------

You see the real difference between science and superstition is that superstition relies entirely on belief. Science relies on available evidence. That doesn't mean that the superstitious appraoch is always wrong or that the current scientific belief is always right, just that science is right faf FAR more often.

Science continues to ask questions. It is self doubting, self correcting. New ideas will emerge and challenge the old. The hypothesis that best fits the observed facts will be accepted whilst those that don't are rejected. As such science continually moves forward. Science is not about claiming that something is te absolute truth, it is a constant quest for the truth.

Superstition does not do this. It says, "this is how things are, this is the absolute truth". It ignores the observed facts when they don't fit the idea. It rejects reality in favour of unfounded belief. In this way superstition never moves forward. It drags mankind into the past rather than propelling him into the future.

It is for this reason that I say again, read some good science books. Learn to tell the difference between science and superstition.

Posted Image
Click on button

#43    NeoGenesis

NeoGenesis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

• Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun.

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

dr alien on May 8 2008, 10:29 PM, said:

Attached File  planetxorbit1.jpg   8.03K   22 downloads

Question.Where did you get that picture from.

I advice you to be a bit more thorough in your research.The picture that you posted does not have a distance measurement scale.So to give you a hint on the distance that this picture represents in astronomical terms it would miss us by a long shot not to count for our solar systems save guard JUPITER with its massive gravitational field witch would most likely pick up the comet and hurl it back into the fastness of space.

Oo and Moony2012 as a friendly gesture please do not jump to conclusions to quickly.

I am not a skeptic.I only live by PROOF and HARD FACT.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

There comes a point when a person may no longer be focusing on the merits of the argument, and simply be arguing for the sake of arguing - aquatus1

#44    Tommy2007

Tommy2007

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

• Add water, makes it's own sauce!

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

dr alien on May 8 2008, 05:28 PM, said:

Then you really shouldn't be spouting off about what you do not know about. Talk about what you DO know about and you'll be fine.  Otherwise you won't appear too smart. Comets are reall neat objects, google comets and learn!

#45    Moonie2012

Moonie2012

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:54 PM

NeoGenesis on May 8 2008, 04:55 PM, said:

Oo and Moony2012 as a friendly gesture please do not jump to conclusions to quickly.

It was a joke...wait, are you joking too? Sarcasm can be hard to convey over the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users