Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The largest number ever to exsist?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    tali

tali

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

Taken from a website- what puzzles me is that the number is bigger than all the atoms in the universe, i assumed as a layperson, nothing could be a larger number.How the hell did he arrive/ calculate such a large number-the largest ever to exsist?
Roger Penrose, a famous British mathematician and a close friend of Stephen Hawking, wondered about this question and tried to calculate the probability. Including what he considered to be all variables required for human beings to exist and live on a planet such as ours, he computed the probability of this environment occurring among all the possible results of the Big Bang.

According to Penrose, the odds against such an occurrence were on the order of 1010123 to 1.

It is hard even to imagine what this number means. In math, the value 10123 means 1 followed by 123 zeros. (This is, by the way, more than the total number of atoms 1078 believed to exist in the whole universe.) But Penrose's answer is vastly more than this: It requires 1 followed by 10123 zeros.

Roger Penrose: "This number tells us how precise the Creator's aim must have been."

Or consider: 103 means 1,000, a thousand. 10103 is a number that that has 1 followed by 1000 zeros. If there are six zeros, it's called a million; if nine, a billion; if twelve, a trillion and so on. There is not even a name for a number that has 1 followed by 10123 zeros.

In practical terms, in mathematics, a probability of 1 in 1050 means "zero probability". Penrose's number is more than trillion trillion trillion times less than that. In short, Penrose's number tells us that the 'accidental" or "coincidental" creation of our universe is an impossibility.

Concerning this mind-boggling number Roger Penrose comments:

This now tells how precise the Creator's aim must have been, namely to an accuracy of one part in 1010123. This is an extraordinary figure. One could not possibly even write the number down in full in the ordinary denary notation: it would be 1 followed by 10123 successive 0's. Even if we were to write a 0 on each separate proton and on each separate neutron in the entire universe- and we could throw in all the other particles for good measure- we should fall far short of writing down the figure needed. 26

The numbers defining the design and plan of the universe's equilibrium play a crucial role and exceed comprehension. They prove that the universe is by no means the product of a coincidence, and show us "how precise the Creator's aim must have been" as Penrose stated

#2    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:42 PM

tali on Apr 15 2008, 03:49 PM, said:

Taken from a website- what puzzles me is that the number is bigger than all the atoms in the universe, i assumed as a layperson, nothing could be a larger number.How the hell did he arrive/ calculate such a large number-the largest ever to exsist?

Cannot say how he arrived at the number.  1E10123,  (not 1010123...the notation is confusing, what you wrote says 1 million, 10 thousand, 1 hundred twenty-three, a number which is way smaller than 1E10123).

It's certainly a humongous, ridiculously immense number.   But it's nothing compared to 1E1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 for instance, which is infinitely larger.

There is no such number as the largest number to exist.   All numbers exist, as large as you want to make them.   They don't actually mean anything, since they're so large that they're utterly unfathomable, but no matter how large a number you can imagine...there's always a larger one.

Further, no matter how large you go...it's never any closer to infinity than "1".

Mind boggling, eh?

#3    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,143 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:50 PM

From the site's Terms and Conditions:

2c. Copyrighted   material: If you quote text from        another web site then please properly credit the source. Not doing so        constitutes plagiarism, always include a source link with quoted        material. Members are asked to copy only as much as is necessary when        quoting copyrighted material from other web sites, do not copy and paste   entire articles or web pages.

Could you please include a link to the website you took this from, please?

Thanks in advance,

Tiggs
[Forum Mod Team]

#4    NoahJaymes

NoahJaymes

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:09 PM

MID on Apr 15 2008, 05:42 PM, said:

Mind boggling, eh?

I'd say..my head hurts just reading that

#5    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

CryWolf on Apr 15 2008, 07:09 PM, said:

I'd say..my head hurts just reading that

original.gif

It happens when we contemplate such things...

Most people don't think of numbers as being anything other than finite, but the fact is there is no largest, or smallest number.   Numbers can be ever larger, and ever smaller...never reaching "0", and never reaching infinity...or even getting close.

Asprin, or a stiff drink,  often helps in the contemplation process concerning such things!

thumbsup.gif

#6    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,112 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

MID on Apr 16 2008, 04:18 PM, said:

original.gif

It happens when we contemplate such things...

Most people don't think of numbers as being anything other than finite, but the fact is there is no largest, or smallest number.   Numbers can be ever larger, and ever smaller...never reaching "0", and never reaching infinity...or even getting close.

Actually, numbers "reach" zero in precisely the same sense that they reach any other number.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#7    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,943 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:23 AM

I've seen similar numbers and wonder what the hell they're smoking.  

When an otherwise well respected "Scientific American" announced a few years back that there were other worlds exactly like Earth because of the laws of probability I computed how many monkeys would be required to get a readable copy of "War and Peace on the first try.  It came out 4.2 x 10^807,000th.  

It ain't gonna happen.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#8    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:36 AM

This is just a case of the weak anthropic principle of cosmology taken to the extreme. While I can't fault the math, using the probablity to calculate anything with so many variables, the odds of it being even the least bit near correct *or able to falsify it like with all science) is kind of remote. It isn't like someone else can put in those numbers and variables expecting a similar outcome, and even if they got one, if they got one of the variables wrong it would throw the whole thing into question...

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#9    Wookietim

Wookietim

Alien Abducter

• 4,907 posts

• Search on the Android App Store for "Mothras Unexplained Mysteries" for the app I am very proud of...

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

There is no limit to the size of a number - imagine the biggest number, then just add one and continue...

#10    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

probably an 8 trillion+ digit number as my guess

thats a very interesting story about the shark and how it tried to eat you, but it still doesnt answer my question.  where the hell is my sandwitch!?

#11    DevaDevil

DevaDevil

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

• Without Music, Life would be a Waste

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:21 PM

Wookietim on Apr 17 2008, 08:31 AM, said:

There is no limit to the size of a number - imagine the biggest number, then just add one and continue...

indeed. Hence the mathematical use of "infinity", and not a specific maximum

Am I supposed to be a sceptic, just because I'm a scientist?
-------------------------------------
http://www.tkoc.net - cool game

#12    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:34 PM

thought it was going to be a word, like thousand, million, google, etc...

whatever the biggest number is, I'll take two.

#13    MusicIsLife

MusicIsLife

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:25 PM

So, you're basically saying that life is impossible?  Or are you trying to prove that their has to be a creator in order for life to actually be a success.  My head hurts from reading that.  Life is impossible, yet here we are discussing the impossibility of life? *confusion*

#14    muddpuppy

muddpuppy

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

• The search for enlightenment is a long winding road.

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:27 PM

10,000 is the highest number, because thats as high as I can count without a calculater  laugh.gif

Edited by muddpuppy, 21 April 2008 - 08:27 PM.

I only express my personal opinions and have no evidence to back my claims or statements.
WARNING POST A SILLY TOPIC EXPECT A SILLY POST!!

#15    goodog

goodog

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

can you add a link to a website with the number...
that would work tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users