Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

ATLANTIS FOUND (By Me) In The SAHARA

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#46    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,257 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:43 AM

weareallsuckers on Apr 27 2008, 01:10 AM, said:

Yes, I also agree in a way with Essan. I also am in line with what you say. I also don't think most of Plato's story is real, but I do maintain this description is based in truth. Temporary inundation in that area, yes, castle, moat system, good thinking.

This could easily have been transferred into a 'legend' or a story that Egyptians knew, because also of the 'fact' that Egyptians seem to have originated in this area, it could have been kept as a legend that Plato heard and he has used it as a basis for his description of an early event prior to the Great Flood. An Egyptian told him the story and it is where the Egyptians originated and migrated East as the area dried up.

The description Plato gives of being like cut out with a lathe, and the actual site of Richat Structure where it has been cut out as like with a lathe by electrical forces is a big co incidence if he is not referring to it imo.

I think you are on the same wavelemgth Keithisco as me and so I really appreciate your time in following this through.

I sincerely think you are onto something here WAAS, it is an area that has hardly been looked at archaeologically or geologically. I will pmail any info I get first then perhaps we can discuss it? I live reasonably close to the area (I am in Madrid) and might perhaps be able to get out there with my camera this summer.

Edited by keithisco, 27 April 2008 - 12:44 AM.

#47    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,711 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:57 AM

keithisco on Apr 27 2008, 10:43 AM, said:

I sincerely think you are onto something here WAAS, it is an area that has hardly been looked at archaeologically or geologically. I will pmail any info I get first then perhaps we can discuss it? I live reasonably close to the area (I am in Madrid) and might perhaps be able to get out there with my camera this summer.

That is wonderful keith, thanks so much for putting so much faith into this idea.

Put into perspective, and simply to clarify, it is basically the story of Creation for the people of that area after Poseidon creates the Structure. Like I said I think the carving out of it is relative.This is how Plato sees their Creation. He even hopes that the Gods will like his rendition and hopes he doesn't offend them if it is incorrect. Then it proceeds to tell how they became dominant in the area. The link between these ancient people in the area of the Richat Structure which could encompass up to Tassili and beyond, and Egypt, then Greece is a major factor also. I do think that trading was involved and they because of that they were becoming a proper civilisation. As far as I know the things Plato mentions they have, grew and were available in that area. From the pulse crops to the elephants and gold, or could easily have been traded there by close sources. Then they left there after it dried up which coincided with the end of the last high sea level in the Mediterranean around 3000-2500BC and the climate change that made it dry, monsoons. At this same time, a bit later, we have Mt Etna in Sicily, which is very close to Gabes, erupting, first on record at 1800BC, which could have closed up the passage into Gades and also been in the story as the earthquakes etc. Water would go from Gabes to the west coast of Mauritania through the Erg Oriental, passing through Tassili, Richat Structure and out into the Atlantic.
Minoan culture starts around this time. 1800BC.

So geologically and archaeologically that would be the main factors I would look for.

So, then around 1450BC Thera erupts also. End of Mycenaean civilisation shortly after this. So if the Minoans who would have interbred with Mycenaeans were related to the people of the Richat Structure area, we have a bull sacrificing link, with the Atlanteans having a bull sacrifice and the Minoan/Mycenaean island of Crete being renown for it's bull history, I do believe the bull was sacrificed after Minoans had done the leaping of it from archaeological records.

Possibly the Atlanteans, the people from Tassili and Mauritania were the the ancestors of the Minoans/Mycenaeans and then are punished eventually for being too extragant. With the earthquake and flooding. Like...... see what happens if you get too indulgent! Because the whole story is actually a moral tale, that's why there is no 'physical' war, the war is that Athens, being virtuous and wise becomes the dominant power in the Mediterranean because of it, and they got rid of or beat the indulgent people who were becoming dominant over them, via a retribution of obliterating them through God wanting to wipe the earth clean of the immoral. You can see a similar story in the Bible of God wiping the immoral off the earth by the use of a flood leaving the virtuous and wise, the Isralites of course, from the Pentateuch Plato read.

That is the way that the original Richat Structure inhabitants moved north spread through Spain, I believe Berbers and Garanches have unusual beginnings, and then settled Egypt and well as some of them heading into Crete, becoming Minoans, taken over by Mycenaeans which is a remnant seed of the Greeks, the Mycenaeans were in Greece, so it would be natural for them to breed with the Dorians and other Greek ancestors once they arrived. By that, it means they would be ancestors to Egyptians and also the Greeks. From what I know Berbers, Garanches and Minoans all have ancestry no one is really sure of. Or at least no clear answer is provided.

Take that premise and add some proof and that's it. I would appreciate any pmail or info you provide working with that idea. The beginning part is really all that related geographically to the structure, that ancient people were there in the time of the primeval man, Evenor, who fathered Cleito. For Cleito was already there when Poseidon got there. Everyone else is Cleito's ancestor...Minoans, Egyptians and Greeks.

"The agony and the irony, they're killing me"
Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger

#48    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,711 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:00 AM

Mattshark on Apr 26 2008, 07:21 AM, said:

A very large proportion of the Sahara is not in the tropics, it is mainly sub-tropical.

True, but it was very different then and it was still very humid nevertheless.

#49    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,711 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:06 AM

Essan on Apr 26 2008, 10:09 PM, said:

There is no geological evidence to support the notion that the Sahara has been a sea in modern geological times (though it was some millions of years ago).  However, Lake Chad was once much more extensive and, as already noted, there were numerous smaller lakes and rivers flowing across the region during the African Humid period (approx 10,000 to 5,000 years ago).   Also bear in mind that for much of this period sea levels were lower than today, as the main N American ice sheet only finally disappeared around 6,000 years ago.  

The location of Lake Tritonis may have been towards the Libyan coast, possible even an area of marshland subsequently submerged by rising sea levels.  I think Iain Wilson makes that suggestion in his book 'Before the Flood' (one of the better Atlantis books, IMO).

Yes, I agree, at the moment is is no real indication that there was a sea, but a larger freshwater river like a large sea from huge inundations from the weather, or the risen sea after 5500BC when it had to have risen to flood the Black Sea is the times I indicate as being when this could have occured.

I have referenced Lake Tritonis in Herodotus, but I will make an effort to check out the book you mention.

#50    darkbreed

darkbreed

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:07 AM

There are not exactly many things suggesting there ever were any great civilization that could equal that of the legend of Atlantis in Africa. Perhaps Egypt, but didnt Plato hear his story about Atlantis from the egyptians in the first place? And, would i not make more sense to just say "And Atlantis was a bit further down here in our continent, head south" instead of something completely different that rather points to a path beyond africa and over the oceans, which will make you reach the americas. And there you have things that suits a advanced civilization and the end of the same civilization and possibly great destructions such as those that might have created the mexican gulf, where interesting things still may be.

For the egyptians to know about this place, it means they must have been there, or at least heard some convincing stories from others whom had been there. My personal guess is that it might be that the egyptians themselves were survivors of Atlantis, ended up in north africa and thus carried with them some of the knowledge in regards of stone masonry which is pretty interesting in its own, and so is the masonry of latin americas where I think that knowledge came from as well as the story about it.

Then it seems possible that some of them had escaped and ended up in africa while some still were left in the latin americas and continued their work there and eventually it split into two different groups of people with differen cultures and gods etc, though there are many similarities there too.

Also:

Some have advocated that Ancient Egyptians may have traveled to the New World. Evidence for such claims involves the mystery of the "Cocaine mummies", mummies reported to have contained substantial quantities of coca and nicotine.[5] The initial discovery was made by a German toxicologist by the name of Dr. Svetla Balabanova, after examining the mummy of a female priestess called Henut Taui. She states:

The first positive results, of course, were a shock for me. I had not expected to find nicotine and cocaine but that's what happened. I was absolutely sure it must be a mistake.

Follow up tests by way of the hair shaft - performed to rule out contamination - offered the same results. The significance of these finds lie with the fact that both coca and tobacco plants are indigenous to the Americas and thought not to have reached Africa until after the voyage of Christopher Colombus, in 1492.[6][7] Subsequent examination of numerous Sudanese mummies undertaken by Balabanova, mirrored what was found in the mummy of Henut Taui.

Balabanova suggested that the tobacco may be accounted for since it may have also been known in China and Europe, as indicated by analysis run on human remains from those respective regions. Balabanova proposed that such plants, native to the general area may have developed independently, but since have gone extinct.[8] This view is strongly disputed by botanists due to the lack of evidence to support it. Other explanations were that of possible fraud[9] or transportation of seeds by way of an African Swallow, with the former hypothesis being discarded by curator Dr. Alfred Grimm of The Egyptian Museum in Munich, after carefully reviewing the evidence. Sources of nicotine other than tobacco and sources of cocaine in the Old World are discussed by the British biologist Duncan Edlin in A look at the Evidence for Cocaine in Mummies

Most mainstream scholars remain skeptical, seeking more conventional explanations, while many alternative historians see this as proof of ancient contact between Africa and the Americas, well before Columbus.

The Olmec civilization of Central America, based along the Gulf Coast of south-central Mexico, existed roughly from 1200 to 400 BC. Some Olmec sculptures appear to represent faces with Negroid features. Seventeen monumental basalt stone heads, each weighing ten to forty tons, have been unearthed in Olmec sites along the Mexican Gulf Coast. José Melgar, who discovered the first colossal head at Hueyapan (now Tres Zapotes) in 1862, subsequently published two papers that attributed this head to a "Negro race".[10] The great majority of scholars who specialize in Mesoamerican archaeology and history regard these speculations as incorrect.

According to van Sertima, the first evidence of a black presence in the America was given to Columbus by the natives, who allegedly indicated to the Spanish that they were trading with black people. [12] His book claims Columbus later recorded that “The Indians of this Española said there had come to Española a black people who have the tops of their spears made of a metal which they called gua-nin". In his book, Columbus sent samples of this to Spain to have them examined, where it was later found that of 32 parts, 18 were of gold, 6 of silver and 8 of copper; similar in composition to comparable metals of West African origin.[12]

Quotes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian...ontact_theories

Various other evidence such as linguistic evidence, botanical evidence, cultural evidence etc further supports such theories. Read more about that in New York Posts article "Africans, not Europeans, first in America?" at http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...amp;oref=slogin

www.PleiadianTalk.tk/ - Perspectives from a member of the Great White Brotherhood
American Atlantis Research - Documenting pre-colombian world migration and Atlantis-America
Increase your astral proection skills - Here at Unexplained Mysteries Forums!

#51    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,711 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:46 AM

Sorry, I had to edit what I wrote some more. Will repost soon.

Edited by weareallsuckers, 27 April 2008 - 07:25 AM.

#52    darkbreed

darkbreed

Psychic Spy

• 2,052 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

I noticed someone posted an old map here of Africa with a huge lake on i and a tiny island. Is there any known geological or other evidence for such a lake, if so can anyone point me to somewhere with more information? An interesting map if its anything to it..

www.PleiadianTalk.tk/ - Perspectives from a member of the Great White Brotherhood
American Atlantis Research - Documenting pre-colombian world migration and Atlantis-America

#53    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

darkbreed on Apr 27 2008, 09:46 AM, said:

I noticed someone posted an old map here of Africa with a huge lake on i and a tiny island. Is there any known geological or other evidence for such a lake, if so can anyone point me to somewhere with more information? An interesting map if its anything to it..

It is not a map of all of Africa it merely North East Africa and it is possibly lake Victoria.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#54    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,711 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:39 PM

Mattshark on Apr 27 2008, 10:31 PM, said:

It is not a map of all of Africa it merely North East Africa and it is possibly lake Victoria.

It does appear that way.

#55    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,711 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:35 PM

darkbreed on Apr 27 2008, 03:07 PM, said:

There are not exactly many things suggesting there ever were any great civilization that could equal that of the legend of Atlantis in Africa. Perhaps Egypt, but didnt Plato hear his story about Atlantis from the egyptians in the first place? And, would i not make more sense to just say "And Atlantis was a bit further down here in our continent, head south" instead of something completely different that rather points to a path beyond africa and over the oceans, which will make you reach the americas. And there you have things that suits a advanced civilization and the end of the same civilization and possibly great destructions such as those that might have created the mexican gulf, where interesting things still may be.

For the egyptians to know about this place, it means they must have been there, or at least heard some convincing stories from others whom had been there. My personal guess is that it might be that the egyptians themselves were survivors of Atlantis, ended up in north africa and thus carried with them some of the knowledge in regards of stone masonry which is pretty interesting in its own, and so is the masonry of latin americas where I think that knowledge came from as well as the story about it.

Then it seems possible that some of them had escaped and ended up in africa while some still were left in the latin americas and continued their work there and eventually it split into two different groups of people with differen cultures and gods etc, though there are many similarities there too.

Also:

Quotes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian...ontact_theories

Various other evidence such as linguistic evidence, botanical evidence, cultural evidence etc further supports such theories. Read more about that in New York Posts article "Africans, not Europeans, first in America?" at http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...amp;oref=slogin

Hi Darkbreed. I am a great believer in ancient sea travel especially from the Africa to the Americas. I debated fiercly that the Olmecs did come from Africa. There is evidence of an 8,000 year old scull in Brazil showing Australoid/African traits.
On a scale of Plato let's look at this part.

" This power came forth out of the
Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and

there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by

you called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya

and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from

these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which

surrounded the true ocean;
for this sea which is within the Straits of

Heracles is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other

is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a

boundless continent.
"

-I think he could know about the Americas and describes them as the boundless continent.
You get there by the islands that are near the island of Atlantis.

So in my opinion, how could the Americas BE Atlantis?

No one ventured out of the Straits by Plato's time much, it was seen as the end of the world as they knew it. That's why the Atlantic was not navigable in my scenario, there had to be another trading port entrance at one time that when it was blocked by a shoal of mud it made the Atlantic unnavigable in Plato's time, which it was, in a way.  If they went out the Straits why and where from there to America is it unpassable in Platos time? If the shoal of mud from Etna blocked the entrance at Gabes, which Plato may have thought was in relation to the island sinking, the resulting tsunami from Etna would have first went through at Gabes into the inland sea channel and easily covered the Structure's plateau, remember the tale is thousands of years old, it works.
The island imo is the large sandstone flat that the Richat Structure is on including the plains that would have gone on to be channels to the sea.

"For

which reason the sea in those parts is impassable and impenetrable,

because there is a shoal of mud in the way; and this was caused by the

subsidence of the island."

If the island of Atlantis was near the mouth of a channel that led to the sea at Mauritania, there are the Cape Verde islands, they are the closest islands to mainland America. North East South America, funny enough where Lucia was found, dating back to approx 9,000 -11,000 years old.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/sci/tech/430944.stm
Contrary to what that report says, I believe trading routes and routes in general were made through the inland sea through the channels and past Cape Verde Islands and onto the north east South American continent, hence why the oldest skull is found there, you would expect older finds in North America had they come via Bering Strait.

So I do think sea travel from Africa at least 10,000 years ago was possible and I also think it may have occurred even earlier with the Tierra Del Fuegans who possess similar traits but stayed Stone Age, similar to the Australian Aboriginals, coming strait from West Africa.

So I think it is possible Plato knew or was aware of the myth of ancient sea travel to Americas but I don't think he saw it as the place of Atlantis.

BUT I don't think it's Atlantis, simply from his description above that Atlantis leads to other islands that leads you to the 'boundless continent', which I think is the Americas.

Edited by weareallsuckers, 27 April 2008 - 04:22 PM.

#56    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,711 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

Let's also look at this:
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/CapeVe..._volcanics.html

Cape Verde is a volcano hotspot.
So it could also account for geological activity at the mouth of where I claim sea came out into the ocean, possibly blocking this end with a shoal of mud.

also:

From: http://forums.atlantisrising.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000958.html

Scattered though the references may be, an interesting picture emerges from the numerous references to Thoth in the writings of the ancient Egyptians. And that picture fits the theory of an Atlantean origin for this intriguing character.

Thoth was born in a distant country to the west which was across a body of water. Its main city was by the sea (Plato's metropolis). The land possessed volcanos and, like Atlantis, had a low mountain or large hill in the center. This land is sometimes referred to as the Isle of Flame. (Book of the Dead, Hymn of Rameses IV and Pyramid Texts)

A catastrophe occurred which darkened the sun and disturbed the gods, but Thoth led them across the sea to an eastern country [Egypt]. Thoth is depicted as the "controller of the Flood," (Leyden Papyrus) and the Theban Recension includes the Island of Flame in the Flood story. (Papyrus of Ani, Chap. CLXXV)

In Chapter L***V of the Book of the Dead, Thoth rules the "Western Domain," and by the end of the New Kingdom he is called "Lord of the West". (Seth, 1912) Thoth is said to be the inventor of writing, astronomy, and civilization in general. The question is pertinent: Was Thoth an Atlantean?

http://forums.atlantisrising.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000958.html

Nu, the Egyptian god of the Primeval Sea, is represented on the marble sarcophagus of Seti I as being up to his waist in water with arms upraised to carry the Solar Boat across the Sky. He is said to have held the royal occupants of this boat above the flood waters engulfing their mountainous island home in the West. Nu had been ordered to bring about this very flood by Atum in order to purify the world (Budge, 1960). Does this primeval flood scene depict the first migration from the Lands of the West to Egypt because of the inundation of Atlantis?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE LAND OF THE WEST

Secondly, I noticed that Manetho says that the Egyptian god-kings (which I believe to be identical with the ten kings who ruled Atlantis) reigned in a foreign land. The Egyptian hieroglyph set which is commonly translated "foreign land" is extremely interesting.

Set: can mean foreign land, mountainous
land, or the underworld (Inscription
of Anebni, 18th Dynasty)

Amentet: can mean either West, or
Land of the West (Funeral Stele of
Panehesi, 19th Dynasty)

Now the "Land of the West" would be a natural Egyptian name for Atlantis. The Atlantic Ocean was referred to as the "Western Ocean". Did Manetho translate "foreign land" from this glyph? If so, we probably have ourselves a reference to Atlantis in the writings of Manetho. There were no mountains in western Egypt, yet this glyph represented a mountainous land to the west of Egypt.

That the glyph set also represented the "underworld," also fits, since this is the land where the sun shines after it has set (no pun intended) on the land of Egypt. It was believed in popular Egyptian mythology that the sun passed through the underworld on its way back to rise once more in the east.

We therefore have a glyph representing a western, mountainous land, a land where the sun went after it had set on Egypt, and whose earliest rulers were probably called "Auliteans" or "Aleteans". To top it off the reign of these kings ended around 9850 B.C. A lot of coincidences.

---Self explanatory really.

Thoth could have come from a foreign country, Cape Verde, isle of Flames, across the inland sea, finally arriving in Egypt.
The person who posted is not actually talking about what I am but the information in the post fits into my theory since I beleive the 'Atlanteans' were indeed the ancestors of Egypt as well as reaching the Mediterranean. High water is also mentioned and high water in Egypt also.  The first human king of Egypt, they said, was Min.
[3] In his time all of Egypt except the Thebaic district was a marsh: all the country that we now see was then covered by water, north of lake Moeris, which is seven days' journey up the river from the sea. http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/moc/moc10.htm

Edited by weareallsuckers, 27 April 2008 - 05:19 PM.

#57    darkbreed

darkbreed

Psychic Spy

• 2,052 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:32 PM

Thanks for your info, you have some interesting points there in regards of your theory.

Personally I've actually also been thinking of the possibility that Atlantis was an island somewhere in between Africa and Americas, and during its destruction some people managed to escape north and ended up in Africa, while others escaped west and ended up in the americas.

This would fit in with your own theory as I see it, the only thing is that Atlantis was per Platos description a very large mass of land, "larger than Libya and Asia put together", so there should be some remains of this huge continent / island somewhere between Africa and Americas then, which yet is to be found as far I'm aware of.

I still have problem seeing how Atlantis could be IN Africa though, as in the Sahara as you believe. The Richat Structure is interesting, actually I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it so I looked it up, strange formation and I can see why you would believe this could have something to do with Atlantis due to its circular features that resembles the descriptions related to Atlantis. But has anything at all been found there to suspect any lost civilization at that area? Certainly some remains should be left if that was actually the place, ruins, temples, artifacts and so on.

Until I see stronger evidence, I'm still going for the "americas theory" myself, as this seems most probable for me from what I've come across in my research, and other researchers have also come up with things that further supports that theory =) But you do have some interesting points and have given me some new insights I was not aware of at least, so I thank you for that.

Btw I just came across this, seems interesting: http://www.atlantisinamerica.com/ and http://www.lauralee.com/erikson.htm

Haven't had the time to check it out myself yet but looks like something worth checking out and I thought maybe you'd be interested too original.gif

Best of wishes and keep up the good work!

-EA

#58    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,711 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

darkbreed on Apr 28 2008, 09:32 AM, said:

Thanks for your info, you have some interesting points there in regards of your theory.

Personally I've actually also been thinking of the possibility that Atlantis was an island somewhere in between Africa and Americas, and during its destruction some people managed to escape north and ended up in Africa, while others escaped west and ended up in the americas.

This would fit in with your own theory as I see it, the only thing is that Atlantis was per Platos description a very large mass of land, "larger than Libya and Asia put together", so there should be some remains of this huge continent / island somewhere between Africa and Americas then, which yet is to be found as far I'm aware of.

I still have problem seeing how Atlantis could be IN Africa though, as in the Sahara as you believe. The Richat Structure is interesting, actually I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it so I looked it up, strange formation and I can see why you would believe this could have something to do with Atlantis due to its circular features that resembles the descriptions related to Atlantis. But has anything at all been found there to suspect any lost civilization at that area? Certainly some remains should be left if that was actually the place, ruins, temples, artifacts and so on.

Until I see stronger evidence, I'm still going for the "americas theory" myself, as this seems most probable for me from what I've come across in my research, and other researchers have also come up with things that further supports that theory =) But you do have some interesting points and have given me some new insights I was not aware of at least, so I thank you for that.

Btw I just came across this, seems interesting: http://www.atlantisinamerica.com/ and http://www.lauralee.com/erikson.htm

Haven't had the time to check it out myself yet but looks like something worth checking out and I thought maybe you'd be interested too original.gif

Best of wishes and keep up the good work!

-EA

Cool. Thanks darkbreed.  original.gif  I will check the links. Like I said to you, in Plato's work America seems to be the boundless continent if the island he is describing is Atlantis. If Atlantis is America the divers islands must be beyond it in the Pacific and then the boundless continent. I did give a definition of how I saw unknown Africa as the boundless continent in one of my previous posts. Madeira has some history, I have not checked it geographically though to see if it would have bigger when sea levels were lower, there is a great map done of the Azores like this by Christian O Brien on the web, and explaining it as Atlantis. The Canary Islands have the mysterious Guaranches, somewhere is some post on UM a link was made to them and Atlantis. If Azores was Atlantis, and again there is absolutely no links to ancient civilisations fitting it but geologically it's good, the islands of the Caribbean and the Lesser Antilles could be the diver's islands.
I think that maybe in the future something will be found under the sand in the Richat area.  This area is very isolated but there has been found some recent finds in the area, certainly not dated to pre 3000BC when the Sahara dried up completely though. In the Wadan area we find these comments from a tour site I forgot to get the address to copy to paste here. Anyways:

Day 4- CHINGUITI - WADAN. Full board. 120 Km (74 Miles), 4/5 hours.
Following the “Batha” (watercourse) bed we’ll get into the green vegetable gardens towards Erg Ouarane, one of the most beautiful landscapes of the Sahara. We’ll drive almost all the time across the sand dunes without any track as a reference. Fifty kilometres (31 miles) after we’ll reach the dead village of Tinigui where still a holy family lives close to a well. This family removes the devil from the soul with particular and effective techniques. Meeting with them will be unforgettable. The city of Wadan suddenly appears in a natural walled hill that dominates an oasis grew in the down watercourse. In the ghostly remains of the old village it can be felt the isolation of the missing cities of the desert.

Day 5- WADAN - TANUCHERT. Full board. 80 Km (50 Miles). 3/4 hours.
Nearby Wadan there is a peculiar crater landform called Guelb er Richat whose origin is uncertain, being the most accepted theory a meteorite crash. To have an idea of its dimension it should be seen from the air since from land is not possible. [b]The long valley of the Wadi of Wadan goes to the East close to the crater to get lost in the desert soon after. [b/]In that dry river-bed is The fort of Aghouedir, built by the sultan of morocco in the cross tracks used by the caravans. For that mission the Sultan sent some soldiers commanded by Xoder Pacha, an andalusian “morisco” (baptized Moor) that together with many others was thrown out of Christian Spain in XVII Century.

These descriptions clearly state that there is dry water beds there that you travel through.
Which still leaves it open for discovery. This says it all:
One could easily lose something precious in Mauritania’s million square kilometers (398,000 sq mi) of dune fields and rocky steppes, stretching north from the Senegal River and east from the Atlantic into the Sahara’s most desolate corners.
http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/2003...manuscripts.htm

#59    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,503 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

crystal sage on Apr 25 2008, 06:51 PM, said:

The ARE states:

Through satellite imaging and on-site arch aeological investigations, it appeared as though the present day Nile had changed its course, once flowing across the Sahara, through Africa, and into the Atlantic Ocean!

I'd like to see that satellite image.

What's the matter C.S.? Couldn't find it but decided the ramblings of a convicted fraud were still worth posting?

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#60    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,711 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:26 PM

Harte on Apr 29 2008, 12:23 AM, said:

I'd like to see that satellite image.

What's the matter C.S.? Couldn't find it but decided the ramblings of a convicted fraud were still worth posting?

Harte

Actually Harte, if you look at Herodotus map that Emma Acid posted about post 4 you can see the Nile goes from Egypt to the Atlas mountains.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users