Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Does earth's magnetic field cause suicides?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Ignus Fatuus

Ignus Fatuus

Poltergeist

• 2,678 posts

• Republicans and Democrats and Satan oh my!!!

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:08 PM

I was looking for some information that I had read before this morning on the earth's geomagnetic field when I came across a new article from NewScientiest.com.  According to the article, Oleg Shumilov of the Institute of North Industrial Ecology Problems in Russia says that he has looked at activity in the Earth's geomagnetic field from 1948 to 1997 and found that it grouped into three seasonal peaks every year: one from march to may, another in July and the lst in October.  Suprisingly he stated that the peaks matched up with the peaks in the number of suicides in Northern Russia over the same period.  He stated that the correlation does not necessarily mean a causal link but points out that several other studies have suggested the same thing.  For example a 2006 review of research on cardiovascular health in the geomagnetic field in the Surveys in Geophysics concluded that a link was possible and the effects were more pronounced at higher altitiudes.  The reviews author stated that geomagnetic health probles affect 10 to 15 percent of the population.  Psychiatrists too have noticed a correlation between geomagnetic activity and suicide rates.  A review of 13 years in South Africa produced data on suicides and geomagnetic storms and in 1994 a study was published suggesting a 36.2 percent increase in the number of men admitted into hospitals for depression in the second week after geomagnetic storms.  Even though scientists do not fully understand the link between these two, the theory that has risen to the top for the association is that geomagnetic storms can desynchronise circadian rhythms and melatonin production(makes sense) says Kelly Posner who is a psychiatrist at Columbia University.  

A few months ago I wrote a post on the correlation of geopathic stress and cancer.  Since then I have found reports saying that geopathic stress can cause "cancer" in trees and plants, as well as the humans that I first reported on.  Looking at all of the available information, I am finding it hard to believe that these earthly and heavinly stresses do not have more to do with our healths as a human race than many people seem to imagine.  I say look out for an outflow of information in these scientific fields in the near future.

Find this article at:

www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn13769&print=true

Edited by bogcreeper, 25 April 2008 - 01:11 PM.

#2    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

I know to use a sunlamp for too much darkness, but what would people use do you think for magnetic induced depression? First thing that popped into my head were those pyramids people built back in the 70s to sleep in, but I doubt those would do any good.

What do you think might help them?

Posted Image

#3    Ignus Fatuus

Ignus Fatuus

Poltergeist

• 2,678 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:29 PM

Bella-Angelique on Apr 25 2008, 09:16 AM, said:

I know to use a sunlamp for too much darkness, but what would people use do you think for magnetic induced depression? First thing that popped into my head were those pyramids people built back in the 70s to sleep in, but I doubt those would do any good.

I have not a clue.  Stupid logic concludes me to say that since in theory and with conclusive evidence from many people around the earth and my grandmother that since copper braclets protect against arthritis from geopathic stress that maybe using a similar technique would help.  Maybe setting magnets at certain points on the body could "like the braclets and geopathic stress" interfere with the geomagnetic interference.  Beats getting drugged...

#4    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

Ah, like putting copper wires into structures to block wireless hacking.
Good idea.

Posted Image

#5    cladking

cladking

Telekinetic

• 7,563 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

Is there any evidence or theory on what causes the seasonal variations in electromagnetic fields?

Do you know if this is directly related to "ley lines" or if it affects their placement or intensity?

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#6    Wombat

Wombat

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

Sounds extremely dubious. You can find correlations between almost any two things, but it does not imply causality.

Also, there is no mechanism by which magnetism can affect humans, as far as I know.

Bella-Angelique on Apr 25 2008, 02:16 PM, said:

Sunlamps make the skin produce vitamin D. It is not comparable to magnetism. And of course, you are baselessly assuming that magnetism does have some effect.

Edited by Wombat, 27 April 2008 - 06:49 PM.

The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

And do you think that unto such as you,
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew,
 God gave the secret, and denied it me?
Well, well, what matters it! believe that too.

Omar Khayyam

#7    BlackFrost

BlackFrost

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

bogcreeper.... good post... I believe the earths (and sun) electromagnetic fields 'directly' affecting our moods and 'anything' that has an electric current/field ~ such as the human body, all our technology (from atm's to our living room lamp)....  ever read Gregg Braden's work?

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

#8    Wombat

Wombat

Psychic Spy

• 1,481 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

BlackFrost on Apr 27 2008, 08:34 PM, said:

bogcreeper.... good post... I believe the earths (and sun) electromagnetic fields 'directly' affecting our moods and 'anything' that has an electric current/field ~ such as the human body, all our technology (from atm's to our living room lamp)....  ever read Gregg Braden's work?

Why do you believe that?

Omar Khayyam

#9    Mr.Dot

Mr.Dot

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

Interesting, It wouldn't surprise me if this were true. After all, external influences is the reason we are who we are, and are what we are, and do what we do.

#10    PulsE

PulsE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

• i wanted to learn as many things as i can so please teach me
    :P

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:01 AM

ok heres my thought about this topic
i have read somewhere that humans contains electricity, don't know how strong/weak it is
but if we do really contain electricity then magnets might have affect us in some way
as everyone knows magnets and electricity has something to do with each other

well just waiting for some thoughts
but keeping an open mind

evidence never lie, but the interpreter can possibly commit mistakes

#11    Ignus Fatuus

Ignus Fatuus

Poltergeist

• 2,678 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

BlackFrost on Apr 27 2008, 03:34 PM, said:

Have not read it, guarantee that I will

#12    lmbeharry

lmbeharry

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

• ho de anexetastos bios ou biotos anthropo ...Plato
    My translation: For completeness, the man must examine his life.

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

Mr.Dot on Apr 28 2008, 09:54 AM, said:

Interesting, It wouldn't surprise me if this were true. After all, external influences is the reason we are who we are, and are what we are, and do what we do.

It's a good hypothesis - with a major problem. We'd never be able to test it in a lab. You'd need to shield a control group from earth's B field for extended periods of time. We just can't pull that off.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you... Saying 70 from the Gospel of Thomas

#13    Wombat

Wombat

Psychic Spy

• 1,481 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

Mr.Dot on Apr 28 2008, 10:54 AM, said:

That doesn't make any sense logically. Just because some other things influence our lives doesn't mean that magnetism does.

PulsE on Apr 28 2008, 12:01 PM, said:

ok heres my thought about this topic
i have read somewhere that humans contains electricity, don't know how strong/weak it is
but if we do really contain electricity then magnets might have affect us in some way
as everyone knows magnets and electricity has something to do with each other

well just waiting for some thoughts
but keeping an open mind

The net electrical charge of humans is zero. And it wouldn't even matter if it was more than that, because magnetism would not affect it. This is an argument from ignorance from your part.

Edited by Wombat, 28 April 2008 - 01:02 PM.

Omar Khayyam

#14    Ignus Fatuus

Ignus Fatuus

Poltergeist

• 2,678 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

Wombat on Apr 28 2008, 08:59 AM, said:

That doesn't make any sense logically. Just because some other things influence our lives doesn't mean that magnetism does.

The net electrical charge of humans is zero. And it wouldn't even matter if it was more than that, because magnetism would not affect it. This is an argument from ignorance from your part.

Easy on the negativity bud.  I have found that a lot of people on this board, close their minds if the science is not measurable.  Notable scientists argue in the same way as both Einstein and other greats have been beat around for their theories, only to have them proven later.   As far as the science goes, the greatest step in making a point valid is to find correlations that prove it's validity.  Depression correlating with this geomagnetism may not be scientifically proven in the near future, but correlations are not a farce and few correlations are found to be non valid.

#15    Mr.Dot

Mr.Dot

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

Wombat on Apr 28 2008, 02:59 PM, said:

I didn't say magnetism does affect us, I said that I find this article Interesting and would not be surprised if it did. Im not trying to prove something here.

Your very offensive in this forum Wombat. But I guess thats just who you are.

Edited by Mr.Dot, 28 April 2008 - 03:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users