Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What Is Life?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,651 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:08 AM

This right here, could be a controversial question, but im just asking to all of you UM memebers "what do you think life is?" im sure there will be sarcastic people out there, and realistic ones.. but im just askin., to see what you all think..

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#2    Silmarillion

Silmarillion

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

• ho de anexetastos bios ou biotos anthropo ...Plato
    My translation: For completeness, the man must examine his life.

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:30 AM

LucidElement on Apr 30 2008, 09:08 AM, said:

This right here, could be a controversial question, but im just asking to all of you UM memebers "what do you think life is?" im sure there will be sarcastic people out there, and realistic ones.. but im just askin., to see what you all think..

What's the biological definition these days? Metabolism, locomotion, respiration, reproduction? That's life, not conscious life (necessarily).

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you... Saying 70 from the Gospel of Thomas

#3    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,651 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:35 AM

no, ur to indepth... im just asking more along the lines of.. "why are we here"? what is life? what purpose do we serve.. i no many people have asked this within the years..  but im just asking the broad question... "why are we here"? what is life?

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#4    Nucular

Nucular

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:21 AM

Is it opinions you're after?  Here's mine.

What we call life is a chemical process resulting from the chance coming together of chemicals, approximately 3.7 billion years ago on this planet, in such a way that those chemicals were able to attract like chemicals to themselves, creating self-replicas which themselves went on to replicate.

Over the billions of years, these replicator molecules have become more sophisticated through a process of natural selection, to the extent of building survival machines around themselves which aid with the replication process.  We call these survival machines organisms, and they are used to effect replication of their own replicator molecules (genes).

This is essentially Richard Dawkins' Selfish Gene interpretation of the data on natural selection.  I don't see much beyond that by way of 'meaning of life' or 'why are we here', other than what we humans invent to decorate that fairly harsh reality with.

However, the decorations we humans have invented are pretty much everything we have, and are important - human cultures and identities are not endowed to us by external reality, but created and agreed between us (partly as a way to aid with the replication process I described above), yet this doesn't remove any of their significance or importance, in my view.  We don't serve non-human, superhuman or formerly-human beings, we serve our own purposes.  As a rider to that, I believe that the sooner we all acknowledge that, the more effectively those purposes can be served.

#5    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:17 AM

LucidElement on Apr 30 2008, 08:35 AM, said:

no, ur to indepth... im just asking more along the lines of.. "why are we here"? what is life? what purpose do we serve.. i no many people have asked this within the years..  but im just asking the broad question... "why are we here"? what is life?

That is the big question, isn't it.  It is the question I go to sleep with and wake up with.  I've had more than 30 years to try and come up with answer to the question and I have yet to find it.  After all this time the best I can offer is I don't know.  Maybe the answer to the question is something you can only find within yourself. My answer to the question, while perfectly satisfactory for me, might not be the answer for you.

Edited by Razer, 30 April 2008 - 10:19 AM.

#6    Kerkido

Kerkido

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

• To be or not to be

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

Nucular on Apr 30 2008, 10:21 PM, said:

What we call life is a chemical process resulting from the chance coming together of chemicals, approximately 3.7 billion years ago on this planet

I'm with Nucular on this one yes.gif Life is just something that eventuated from a freak accident!

Nucular on Apr 30 2008, 10:21 PM, said:

However, the decorations we humans have invented are pretty much everything we have

And as human beings we've decorated our "origins" with as many frills possible: especially through religion.

Kérkido
Chris

#7    Silmarillion

Silmarillion

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

• ho de anexetastos bios ou biotos anthropo ...Plato
    My translation: For completeness, the man must examine his life.

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:35 AM

lmbeharry on Apr 30 2008, 09:30 AM, said:

What's the biological definition these days? Metabolism, locomotion, respiration, reproduction? That's life, not conscious life (necessarily).

The four Fs: Food, Fight, Flight, and Reproduction ...hehehe

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you... Saying 70 from the Gospel of Thomas

#8    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

We're here to die.

Think about it, no life = no death.

#9    Wombat

Wombat

Psychic Spy

• 1,481 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:04 PM

I would describe it as a manifestation of matter which arises when possible. Of course there is more detailed chemical explanation for it, but that's the essence of it as I understand it.

Edited by Wombat, 30 April 2008 - 10:05 PM.

The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

And do you think that unto such as you,
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew,
 God gave the secret, and denied it me?—
Well, well, what matters it! believe that too.

Omar Khayyam

#10    BlackFrost

BlackFrost

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

I believe Life is ~ to gain experience, to teach each other about love, and to expand our consciousness ~ and to just BE.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

#11    vikstar

vikstar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:56 AM

I love these type of questions  cool.gif

In my view life is there for a greater purpose of cosmos which we may only know after we die. There must be some evolutionary reason, wy do we store memories and have subconscious mind and have dreams. Also I believe that consciousness is energy which makes objects "animate", provided right set of physical bodily conditions are achieved. It is conscious energy that makes a cell "live"

Nucular, can you explain to me when sperm meets egg, is it a chance that baby or live cell is born?  Also the chemicals you are talking about, are these stored in egg and sperm, if not then where are these chemicals coming from?

#12    gigs

gigs

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:34 AM

I believe this is Hell on Earth and it is up from here.

Posted Image

#13    Rosewin

Rosewin

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:45 AM

BlackFrost on Apr 30 2008, 05:09 PM, said:

I believe Life is ~ to gain experience, to teach each other about love, and to expand our consciousness ~ and to just BE.

Your life has purpose I can tell~

As for the OP: Some people are getting closer to death while others are gaining more life. Are you living or dying? That is the question...

+ i wonder how many experience points i have now? i am ready to lvl woot!

#14    Wombat

Wombat

Psychic Spy

• 1,481 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:18 AM

gigs on May 1 2008, 05:34 AM, said:

I believe this is Hell on Earth and it is up from here.

Really? That's rather depressing, especially considering that there is no evidence to suggest that there is any other life but this.

My view is the exact opposite.

The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

And do you think that unto such as you,
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew,
 God gave the secret, and denied it me?—
Well, well, what matters it! believe that too.

Omar Khayyam

#15    Nucular

Nucular

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

vikstar on May 1 2008, 05:56 AM, said:

Nucular, can you explain to me when sperm meets egg, is it a chance that baby or live cell is born?  Also the chemicals you are talking about, are these stored in egg and sperm, if not then where are these chemicals coming from?

Hi vikstar, no, the production of an embryo following the meeting of sperm and egg isn't chance, it's a biological process like any other.

The chance I mentioned related to the ultimate origin of life on Earth billions of years ago - there are a few ways we know the replicating chemical could have been formed, and each scientific model has chance operating in the right conditions over a probably quite long period of time.

The chemicals I'm talking about were the chemicals which first began to replicate.  We, and all life on Earth, are the distant descendents of these replicators.  Over time, as evolution by natural selection took place over the epochs, these chemicals became increasingly complex and good at their job (i.e. replicating).  The equivalent 'stuff' inside us is the DNA which is contained in every cell in our bodies.  This is a chemical which still replicates itself inside of our bodies, and transmits half of those replicas into the sex cells (sperm or egg) for 'mixing' at conception.  It's the chemical blueprint for the person in whose cells the DNA is contained, and the genetic information it carries is what gets passed onto babies by the parents.

As soon as the egg is fertilised (i.e. sperm meets egg), the half of the genetic information from the father meets with half the mother's genetic information, and the process of gestation begins, where that new blueprint is worked up into a baby, using biochemical material supplied by the mother.

Did that address your question?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users