Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How Safe Do You Feel?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: How Safe Do You Feel? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

How Safe Do You Feel?

1. Great, I am not worried about anything. (5 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

2. Good, Life is fine, all is well. (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

3. No real worries. (6 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

4. I am worried, but I think we have the threats under control. (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

5. The world is unsafe, and I am afraid. (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

6. The terrorists are going to attack and nothing can be done to stop it. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. It's the end of the world we're all gonna die. (4 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31    Scorpius

Scorpius

Universal Researcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

• Harness the energies around you and you'll be able to do wondrous things.

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:12 PM

Those who chose the first answer, must be living a life of luxury.  Those who aren't living a life of luxury would be choosing the other answers--well in a general respect.  However, not all rich people are happy.  And hollywood, can surely back-up this statement.

I would subdivide security between, public, social, and personal security.

Furthermore, each answer would be based on the lifestyle of his or hers.  But this is stating the obvious.  rolleyes.gif  

Posted Image
Avatar and Signature designed and animated by me.  
Do not speak for those who can speak, but speak for those who cannot.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."  - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881-1955)

#32    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 21 February 2004 - 10:49 PM

And if it comes to the worst I intend on being one of the ones that survives 

I plan to live forever  thumbsup.gif  

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#33    Scorpius

Scorpius

Universal Researcher

• 1,821 posts

• Harness the energies around you and you'll be able to do wondrous things.

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (Talon S. @ Feb 21 2004, 04:49 PM)
And if it comes to the worst I intend on being one of the ones that survives 

I plan to live forever  thumbsup.gif

I'll be checking to see if this happens once I die, so if you ever encouter a ghost later on in life.  It just may be me.   grin2.gif  tongue.gif

Posted Image
Avatar and Signature designed and animated by me.  
Do not speak for those who can speak, but speak for those who cannot.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."  - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881-1955)

#34    thepsychoticseaotter

thepsychoticseaotter

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

• Ice, Snow, Blood and Iron!!!

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:48 AM

All in all I feel pretty safe. Alot of it is due to that fact there would have to be a pretty big attack of any sorts to affect me. As far as economic hits and things like that goes this is not one of the richer areas of the US so we are used to there not being much money so drops in the economy need to be near rather high to be felt here and even if things do get tight we can handle it for some time.

It's alot like living in the Hank Williams jr song "a country boy can survive"

Ravens KeepA forum for Classic D&D, AD&D and the upcoming Castles and Crusades.

Soon it's over, all the dwarfs defeated
The silence of the caverns stand still
Orcs took the command of the caves and depths
The darklord has reached his will ---Battlelore

Fill my mug, I just want to forget
All the troubles and fighting
And the ghosts in my head --Battlelore

#35    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 01:18 AM

I'll be checking to see if this happens once I die, so if you ever encouter a ghost later on in life. It just may be me.   

Oh I might not be alive myself  grin2.gif , simply being alive is not the only form of immortality. In fact there is an obvious way which anyone can become immortal, it just takes a lot of work to achieve it. But until science comes up with something better its the only method we have.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#36    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,419 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:08 AM

Oh I might not be alive myself  , simply being alive is not the only form of immortality. In fact there is an obvious way which anyone can become immortal, it just takes a lot of work to achieve it. But until science comes up with something better its the only method we have.

*carefully unscrews lid on can to expose air to worms*

Of course you could
also accept that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins and become immortal through the forgiveness thereof. original.gif

*...hmmm, this lid doesn't seem to be going back on.....*

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#37    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:36 AM

Of course you could
also accept that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins and become immortal through the forgiveness thereof. 

Hardly, Jesus became immortal in the same sense I wish to be, like Socrates and Plato before him, and in recent years Marx and ever though fascists Hitler and Stalin. The only way humans can achieve immortality is to become unforgetable, to go down in history, your acts and deeds remembered thousands of years after you are dead. That is the only current method of achieving an immortal state.

#38    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,419 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:08 AM

Hardly, Jesus became immortal in the same sense I wish to be, like Socrates and Plato before him, and in recent years Marx and ever though fascists Hitler and Stalin. The only way humans can achieve immortality is to become unforgetable, to go down in history, your acts and deeds remembered thousands of years after you are dead. That is the only current method of achieving an immortal state.

*emptys can of worms onto table*

I didn't know that Socrates, Plato or Marx were resurrected from the dead and
are now alive.  They are dead like Hitler is dead.  Remembered...but dead.
Jesus is alive.   thumbsup.gif  original.gif  

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#39    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:53 AM

Jesus is alive.   

Correction, according to your religion he's a live, nobody elses. You have no way of proving your religioon is the correct one so we cannot automatically assume that is true.

What we do know is true, and as you say, Socrates etc are remembered, dead, but remember. Humans living forever is (until technology comes around t make it otherwise) immpossible, you when you die will be forgotten, and nobody in a few hundred years will no your name. That is the fate of most people, 2,000,000,000 humans have walked the Earth and yet only a small percentage are ever immortalised in the memories of society. They are the true immortals, for be they good or evil they shall be remembered long after we are gone, Socrates and Plato alone are still studied 2,400 after they died.

Going down in history, is the only current method of immortality. And I have set myself goals in life to best gain a chance of doing the same.

#40    Stamford

Stamford

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

• Here's to better days

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:35 AM

#Sigh#

How the hell did this topic get onto religion?

Maybe we have a new Unexplained Mysterey on our hands - Topics that end up in Left/Right, Religious and Pro/Anti-War slanging matches.

disgust.gif  

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Jim Morrison

"When you laugh about people, so very, very lonely their only desire is to die, well I'm afraid it doesn't make me smile. I wish I could laugh. But that joke isn't funny anymore, it's too close to home and it's too near the bone... "

The Smiths

#41    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• 1,428 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:04 PM

Because the last 5 posters are Talon and joc wink2.gif

#42    mowo

mowo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:36 PM

*grabs the steering wheel and swerves wildly out of the forest and back onto the road*

I feel very safe. Too safe. In fact, in the words of Marilyn Manson, "Without the threat of death, theres no reason to live."

Life has never been this safe. So boringly safe in fact, that its no wonder that lots of people enjoy working themselves up into a frenzy over the threat of terrorists and war.

#43    DespondentDave

DespondentDave

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

• I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Posted 23 February 2004 - 02:26 PM

I suppose living or working in a large city will always leave you more vulnerable to terrorism. Working in Manchester, as I do, I accept that it's the second most likely terrorist target in the country.

I think the biggest worry would be the release of biological agents, and it was especially an issue in the aftermath of September 11th 2001. However I suppose people have become a bit blase about it all now. The threat's been here for some while, but nothing has happened. You can't spend your entire life worrying about an event that in all probability may never happen in your vicinity.

Which ever way you look at it though your average person in London, Manchester or Birmingham is never going to be as safe as someone who lives in an obscure mountain region in Scotland or Wales. That's just something we all have to accept.

#44    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:46 PM

How the hell did this topic get onto religion?

It didn't someone mentioned they'd survive the terorist apocoloypse, I stated I intend to live forever by going down in history tongue.gif , then Joc and I began agruing if going down really counts as immortality. See  tongue.gif  

#45    Stamford

Stamford

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

• Here's to better days

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:51 PM

Because the last 5 posters are Talon and joc 

..or, as PsychicPenguin noted.  wink2.gif  

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Jim Morrison

"When you laugh about people, so very, very lonely their only desire is to die, well I'm afraid it doesn't make me smile. I wish I could laugh. But that joke isn't funny anymore, it's too close to home and it's too near the bone... "

The Smiths

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users