Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mysteries of the Bermuda-Triangle

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16    NeoGenesis

NeoGenesis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

• Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

Blind Atrocity on May 5 2008, 09:15 PM, said:

It's also said that the Bermuda Triangle and The Dragon's Triangle are the only two places where magnetic north and north are the same.

Strange  happy.gif.Because the documentary I saw on the History channel explains that these triangles are places of magnetic turmoil. wink2.gif

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

There comes a point when a person may no longer be focusing on the merits of the argument, and simply be arguing for the sake of arguing - aquatus1

#17    The Gremlin

The Gremlin

Gnawing at the ankles of Falsehood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

• sniffing the finger of truth

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

I know its only Wiki but....

In popular culture, especially in the United States, the Devil's Sea is widely believed to be, together with the Bermuda Triangle, an area where ships and planes are said to disappear under mysterious circumstances. The Japanese, on the other hand, do not consider the Devil's Sea to be more mysterious or dangerous than other coastal waters of Japan.

Contrary to several claims, neither the Devil's Sea nor the Bermuda Triangle is located on the agonic line, where the magnetic north equals the geographic north. The magnetic declination in this area is about 6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Sea

I rarely talk about such things but I once shoveled 18 tons of material in 11 min-
utes. It was under ideal conditions which allowed use of the legs and gravity
but I know no one who could have matched it and I do know work
...Cladking
If you were a dragon wouldn't you rather eat fat, alocohol fill, Nordic giants, than stringy little Chinamen?   Draconic Chronicler.
You claim you do research and then disregard the fact the Pyramids were built by God, which is why no man-made computer can replicate it.  The Interpreter

#18    Callum-Da-Grouch

Callum-Da-Grouch

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 160 posts

• And as for me, ha,
    And as for me,
    I made my mind up,
    back in Chelsea,
    When I go,
    Im goin' like Eilsy,

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:47 PM

No one is certain on what happened in the bermuda triangle.

SOme say its the increase in magnetisim.

Another theory is that ufos r sinking the planes and ships,

and another wacky idea is that it acts like a portal, once u cross the triangles path u teleport to a place in Japan.

HE HAD IT COMIN'
HE HAD IT COMIN'
HE HAD IT COMIN' ALL ALONG,
IF YOU'D HAD BEEN THERE,
IF YOU'D HAD SEEN IT,
I'D BETCHA YOU WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME
(POP, SIX, SQUISH, AH-AH, CICERO, LIPSHITZ)

#19    NeoGenesis

NeoGenesis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:04 PM

Callum-Da-Grouch on May 5 2008, 09:47 PM, said:

No one is certain on what happened in the bermuda triangle.

SOme say its the increase in magnetisim.

Another theory is that ufos r sinking the planes and ships,

and another wacky idea is that it acts like a portal, once u cross the triangles path u teleport to a place in Japan.

HAHA LOL.We give you the fastest travel known to man,from New York to Tokyo in the blink of an eye. tongue.gif

There comes a point when a person may no longer be focusing on the merits of the argument, and simply be arguing for the sake of arguing - aquatus1

#20    Callum-Da-Grouch

Callum-Da-Grouch

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 160 posts

• And as for me, ha,
    And as for me,
    I made my mind up,
    back in Chelsea,
    When I go,
    Im goin' like Eilsy,

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

NeoGenesis on May 5 2008, 10:04 PM, said:

HAHA LOL.We give you the fastest travel known to man,from New York to Tokyo in the blink of an eye. tongue.gif

Yup all u have to do is risk ur life and belongings and........pop..............ull be eating sushi before u know it:L

HE HAD IT COMIN'
HE HAD IT COMIN'
IF YOU'D HAD BEEN THERE,
IF YOU'D HAD SEEN IT,

#21    NeoGenesis

NeoGenesis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

Callum-Da-Grouch on May 5 2008, 11:09 PM, said:

Yup all u have to do is risk ur life and belongings and........pop..............ull be eating sushi before u know it:L

Rolling On Ground Laughing laugh.gif.

#22    Callum-Da-Grouch

Callum-Da-Grouch

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 160 posts

• And as for me, ha,
    And as for me,
    I made my mind up,
    back in Chelsea,
    When I go,
    Im goin' like Eilsy,

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:21 PM

NeoGenesis on May 5 2008, 10:16 PM, said:

Rolling On Ground Laughing laugh.gif.

SO does that help explain ur theory, time travilling portals??? tongue.gif

HE HAD IT COMIN'
HE HAD IT COMIN'
IF YOU'D HAD BEEN THERE,
IF YOU'D HAD SEEN IT,

#23    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,864 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:25 PM

lil gremlin on May 5 2008, 04:01 PM, said:

apparently Shakespeare was heavily involved in the 'London Virginia Company.'     you know, a trading company...plantations, slaves, commodities etc.
Just think 'the bad guys in Pirates of the Carribean' and your'e on the right tracks...

I'm not aware of /any/ active involvement by Shakespeare with the Virginia Company -- the closet link I know of is that the Shakespeare's patron (and possible lover) Henry Wriothesley, 2nd Earl of Southampton was an investor in the company. Shakespeare wasn't a particularly rich man, and the only record we have of Shakespeare actually investing in in his own Company.

I don't doubt he had heard of the wreck of the Sea-Venture, but sea wrecks are a long-standing part of his work, from the beginning of his career (and an inheritance of Greek and Roman plays). Furthermore, he would likely have been just as aware of the failures of the Roanoke colonies, especially the 1585 one.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#24    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,116 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:59 PM

lil gremlin on May 5 2008, 04:01 PM, said:

does the subtext of The Tempest include such themes that would have relevance to this....? Yes.

Is Prospero the 'cause' of the Bermuda triangle?   .... No.....did he cause the 'Tempest' ?  No.

The area is known for its storms, but this alone is not justification for 'the Tempest' nor is it an attempt at explaining a 'bermuda triangle' phenomenon.

But, as we all know, Shakespeare based "The Tempest" on "Forbidden Planet," where Robbie the Robot and Dr. Morbius (along with a nubile skinnydipping daughter) lived and worked after the expedition that brought them there died of mysterious causes.

Harte

Edited by Harte, 06 May 2008 - 08:51 PM.

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#25    MolonLabe

MolonLabe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/...6631498889.html

Bermuda Triangle mystery solved? It's a load of gas

By Jason Dowling
October 23, 2003

Massive gas bubbles rising from the sea floor may be capable of sinking ships and could explain the disappearance of a vessel in a North Sea "Bermuda Triangle", Melbourne researchers have concluded.

In a report published in the September issue of the American Journal of Physics, Monash University's Professor Joseph Monaghan and honours student David May said that a trawler discovered resting in a large methane crater off the east coast of Scotland may have been sunk by a huge gas bubble. The possibly lethal gas bubbles are created by underwater deposits of methane that have built up over thousands of years.

"It's long been known that there are pockets of methane gas, known as methane gas hydrates, beneath the ocean floor that could erupt if they're disturbed or if their internal pressure becomes too large," Professor Monaghan said.

The massive gas bubbles had the potential to cause aircraft to crash, Mr May said yesterday. "In the Bermuda Triangle, methane gas is known to be present and the release of that gas could cause not only boats to sink, as shown in our study, but also aeroplanes to crash," he said. The gas could cause an explosion if it came in contact with the hot engine of a plane.

Oil-drilling platforms are aware of the dangers of ocean floor gas bubbles and have safety procedures to follow if they hit a methane pocket. But the discovery of the fishing trawler in the North Sea suggests that not all vessels were as well prepared. Sonar surveys of the ocean floor 150 kilometres east of Scotland have revealed high levels of methane and gas eruption sites. At a site known as the Witch's Hole, a documentary film crew in 2000 discovered a wreck resting in the centre of an underwater crater, likely caused by a huge methane gas release. The wreck was a 22-metre, steel-hulled fishing trawler, built between 1890 and 1930. The trawler was relatively undamaged and was horizontal on the sea bed.

From laboratory experiments, the Monash University researchers were able to conclude that large gas bubbles, theoretically, had the ability to sink ships. "It is quite possible that the trawler languishing in Witch's Hole was sunk by a bubble with a radius equal to or bigger than the trawler's hull," Professor Monaghan said.

Mr May said they had made a small perspex boat and conducted a number of experiments examining how the size of the bubble related to the size and position of the boat.

They found that if a ship was directly above a gas bubble it was relatively safe, but a vessel on the edge or in the trough of a bubble may be swamped.

"The sinking occurs because a mound of water is raised above the region where the bubble reaches the surface," Professor Monaghan said.

"The flow from the mound creates a deep trough on each side of the mound, and the flow from the mound carries the boat into the trough."

Then you have the Glomar Challenger drilling platform hitting a Methane Hydrate pocket in 1981 and almost sinking as a result. Total loss of buoyancy in but a few minutes

Edited by MolonLabe, 06 May 2008 - 07:33 PM.

#26    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

I don't believe there is any mystery to the Bermuda triangle. There is no disproportionate amount of disappearances there. There is nothing unusual at all in fact.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#27    NeoGenesis

NeoGenesis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:49 PM

Mattshark on May 6 2008, 07:36 PM, said:

I don't believe there is any mystery to the Bermuda triangle. There is no disproportionate amount of disappearances there. There is nothing unusual at all in fact.

Do you have a better statement on the events that have taken place at the Bermuda-triangle.

#28    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

NeoGenesis on May 6 2008, 08:49 PM, said:

Do you have a better statement on the events that have taken place at the Bermuda-triangle.

Well flight 19, which is the start of the Bermuda triangle mystery, was pilot error. The flight leader was known to have made many navigational errors before and his refusal to believe his equipment and his incompetence cost him and his flight group their lives. The only reason the it was considered mysterious was due to complaints by Lt Charles Carroll Taylor's (who had ditched his plane through being lost twice before) mother which the Navy decided to acknowledge to help her in a sad time for her (and probably to stop her moaning).
Nothing else unusual about it. The number of vessels disappearing there is normal for a coastal region.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#29    NigelTM

NigelTM

Psychic Spy

• 1,314 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

I suggest picking up a copy of Larry Kusche's Bermuda Triangle Mystery--Solved for a skeptical point of view. Kusche delved into newpaper articles, Lloyd's of London shipping reports, and even US Navy records to determine the fates of ships and planes.

http://www.amazon.com/Bermuda-Triangle-Mys...d/dp/0879759712

#30    NigelTM

NigelTM

Psychic Spy

• 1,314 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

Double post

Edited by NigelTM, 06 May 2008 - 08:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users