Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mysteries of the Bermuda-Triangle

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,553 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

NeoGenesis on May 6 2008, 02:49 PM, said:

Do you have a better statement on the events that have taken place at the Bermuda-triangle.

More to the point, do you have any actual evidence of anything out of the ordinary in that area, or do you just depend on the murky common perception of the area?

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#32    Callum-Da-Grouch

Callum-Da-Grouch

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 160 posts

• And as for me, ha,
    And as for me,
    I made my mind up,
    back in Chelsea,
    When I go,
    Im goin' like Eilsy,

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

Another theory is that there is a gas vault/leak under the B.T, and that the power from the engines blew the boats up!!!

Im not so sure as to how that can explain the missing planes??

HE HAD IT COMIN'
HE HAD IT COMIN'
HE HAD IT COMIN' ALL ALONG,
IF YOU'D HAD BEEN THERE,
IF YOU'D HAD SEEN IT,
I'D BETCHA YOU WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME
(POP, SIX, SQUISH, AH-AH, CICERO, LIPSHITZ)

#33    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence.

• 11,481 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

"I lived inside the Bermuda triangle for ten years and nothing ever happened to me."

Said the frog growing out of my butt.  grin2.gif

No, really, I did live in the triangle for ten years, but the frog has never spoken.  

Not out loud, anyway.  whistling2.gif

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#34    Dowisetrepla

Dowisetrepla

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:09 PM

I read Berlitz's book in the 70s during one of the Bermuda Triangle "fads".  I've also read Kusche's book, in which he claims to "solve" the mystery.  Kusche overreaches a bit, he fails to resolve several of the incidents ascribed to the Triangle.  Nonetheless, Kusche does show that a lot of the Triangle mystery is a result of sensationalism and bad research.

I think that there are some mysteries in the Triangle area, just like there are in every part of the world.  But I tend to look at theories based on UFOs or Atlantean Death Rays as far-fetched.

#35    MolonLabe

MolonLabe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:43 AM

Callum-Da-Grouch on May 6 2008, 02:01 PM, said:

Another theory is that there is a gas vault/leak under the B.T, and that the power from the engines blew the boats up!!!

While a gaseous eruption under a boat can lead to catastrophic loss of buoyancy, I don't see how that would translate to an engine blowing up a boat.

Im not so sure as to how that can explain the missing planes??

As for the planes, an introduction of methane gas into the air intake would cut out the engines and thusly lead to a crash into the ocean.

The planes aren't actually missing...they just haven't been found yet. Lots of ocean to search...and very little resources to do it with.

#36    Mostar

Mostar

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:47 AM

They had a program on this i think it was the Discovery channel.

Some theorize there is a black hole which sucks in all electrical/magnetic things in that area and that there is a White hole in the Dragons sea ( i think that whats its called) of the coast of japan.

= /

You're All Crazy

#37    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

Dowisetrepla on May 7 2008, 10:09 PM, said:

I read Berlitz's book in the 70s during one of the Bermuda Triangle "fads".  I've also read Kusche's book, in which he claims to "solve" the mystery.  Kusche overreaches a bit, he fails to resolve several of the incidents ascribed to the Triangle.  Nonetheless, Kusche does show that a lot of the Triangle mystery is a result of sensationalism and bad research.

I think that there are some mysteries in the Triangle area, just like there are in every part of the world.  But I tend to look at theories based on UFOs or Atlantean Death Rays as far-fetched.

Berlitz's book was full of down right lies. He moved events to suit his idea despite them not being anywhere near the Bermuda triangle.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#38    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:32 PM

Mostar on May 8 2008, 06:47 AM, said:

Some theorize there is a black hole which sucks in all electrical/magnetic things in that area and that there is a White hole in the Dragons sea ( i think that whats its called) of the coast of japan.

= /

This is why documentaries have nothing to do with science. Neither of these places have an unusual amount of disappearances or crashes or sinking.

YNWA

#39    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,553 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

Mostar on May 8 2008, 12:47 AM, said:

= /

Very subtle for a black hole, then, as it hasn't completely consumed everything around it.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#40    NigelTM

NigelTM

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:03 PM

Dowisetrepla on May 7 2008, 05:09 PM, said:

Kusche overreaches a bit, he fails to resolve several of the incidents ascribed to the Triangle.

While I don't have my copy of Kusche's book in front of me, I'll agree (by memory) that you're right--he does write about some cases that he doesn't solve.

But what's important is why he doesn't/can't solve them, and the biggest reason is lack of information. The Mary Celeste is one, even though it was nowhere near the Triangle. I recall Kusche "giving up the ghost" on that case, calling it a true maritime mystery.

Still and all, even if it's a true mystery, there's no reason to ascribe black holes, aliens, or other supernatural explanations to it, and that is one of Kusche's main points. The Triangle is a manufactured mystery.

#41    Dowisetrepla

Dowisetrepla

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:28 AM

Yes. Kusche is far from perfect.  His treatment of the MaryCeleste for example.  He includes it, even though the events occurred far from the recgnized boundaries of the Triangle.  His excuse is "those writing about the Triangle frequently mention it...".  And, of course, he can't reach a conclusive answer to that mystery.

Overall however, his book is a very useful antidote to the more factually suspect works on the subject.

#42    Theunexplained

Theunexplained

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:17 PM

Blind Atrocity on May 5 2008, 10:15 PM, said:

It's also said that the Bermuda Triangle and The Dragon's Triangle are the only two places where magnetic north and north are the same.

what and where is the dragons triangle?

#43    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:11 PM

Theunexplained on Jul 18 2008, 04:17 PM, said:

what and where is the dragons triangle?

It is another BS idea for an area with out anything unusal happening there and nothing to back it up.
It is the Devils Sea in Japan btw and the Japanese (like the Bermudan's) don't consider the area to be odd at all, nor do any insurance companies, airlines, shipping companies etc.

YNWA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users