Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why no proof?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1    Moonie2012

Moonie2012

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

So. We have a rather large group of people here that claim to have various psi powers, yet not a single piece of good evidence (that I've ever seen).

Why is this? Let's examine some various arguments as to why this is.

1. "It's not my job to prove it" - this excuse doesn't cut it. It IS your job to prove any claims you make, other wise they are nothing but that - claims.

2. "Nobody will believe me, they will say I faked it" - also not a good excuse. If you are careful, plan and document your experiment well, there should be no room for mistakes. The test should have clear, visible results.

3. "I don't need to prove it, because I know it's real" - please see #1.

Now, I know if I discovered I had some special power that could be proven, I would stop at nothing to prove it, skeptics be damned. I would document the evidence and provide it, and if people still want to call fake I would just provide better evidence. If they still don't believe, hey - at least I tried, which is far more than can be said about the majority (if not all) of the claimants here.

If you want people to believe (as I believe all posters who claim psi powers do, otherwise why post at all), the burden of proof is on you. Seeing as how even the most easily proven claims have yet to be shown, the only conclusion I can come up with is either people are lying, or they are mistaken. I can understand if somebody has these powers and wants to be quiet about it, but with all the claims we have here I can't help but think at least ONE of the claimants would be excited enough about it to provide evidence - which they don't.

Therefore, in my opinion, it's all fantasy/lies/in people's heads, and until I see ANY evidence to go on, I have no choice but to think this.

If anybody has a better excuse (other than 1, 2, or 3 and variations thereof) on why there's no evidence, I'd love to hear it. I'd also like to see any evidence that people have posted/found.

Edited by Moonie2012, 05 May 2008 - 08:25 PM.

#2    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,063 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:12 PM

Don't hold your breath waiting. I have been asking for evidence for over 3 years for all these claims. NOT one has ever been backed up.

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#3    drakonwick

drakonwick

Government Agent

• 4,198 posts

• There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:10 PM

Notice most of these claimants are:

1.) Teenagers, for whom want something cool.

2.) Religious, ie. they follow beliefs based on a book that requires faith.

3.) All the above.

There are possibly quite a few reasonings. But, you get the gist.

Personally, I feel there are to many people that take an odd happening, and blow it way out of proportion.
Or they do not understand all the parameters that come into play. (ie. physics).

I remember the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says: "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." - J. Robert Oppenheimer.

#4    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,063 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:14 PM

Moro Bumbleroot on May 5 2008, 05:10 PM, said:

Notice most of these claimants are:

1.) Teenagers, for whom want something cool.

2.) Religious, ie. they follow beliefs based on a book that requires faith.

3.) All the above.

There are possibly quite a few reasonings. But, you get the gist.

Personally, I feel there are to many people that take an odd happening, and blow it way out of proportion.
Or they do not understand all the parameters that come into play. (ie. physics).

thumbsup.gif

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#5    Sporkling

Sporkling

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

Moonie2012 on May 6 2008, 01:14 AM, said:

So. We have a rather large group of people here that claim to have various psi powers, yet not a single piece of good evidence (that I've ever seen).

1. "It's not my job to prove it" - this excuse doesn't cut it. It IS your job to prove any claims you make, other wise they are nothing but that - claims.

And claims. Whats wrong with a claim? Nothing but a claim yes. But I believe. Other people on this board believe. We talk, share opinions. Why should I spend my precious time making a vid when I could be doing other  more useful things. And making a video for skeptics is on very high on my "do list". And speaking about the "its your job" why should it be. I have better things to do than to make people believe. HAving a few more people to believe is not what I want, nor what I wish for.

2. "Nobody will believe me, they will say I faked it" - also not a good excuse. If you are careful, plan and document your experiment well, there should be no room for mistakes. The test should have clear, visible results.

Its quite true. There are so many ways in which a video can be faked. No matter what it is. The science in which we all hold in such high esteem is the cause of photoshop, invsisible string. And so many others. As long as there is a possiblity, there is a way in which people can call foul. Therefore, how can a video prove anything?

Ahh the usual. Of course. If I know its real its not enough. But the believers here do believe. Which is more than enough for me. Skeptics, making a thread to ask for a vid, Not the first time, Nor will it be the last. But it won't work.

Edited by Saru, 06 May 2008 - 03:12 PM.
Fixed quote tags

#6    WiCkEdWENDIGO

WiCkEdWENDIGO

Lil Pet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

• mmmmmmmmmmmmmm cow

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

Moonie2012 on May 5 2008, 12:14 PM, said:

Now, I know if I discovered I had some special power that could be proven, I would stop at nothing to prove it, skeptics be damned. I would document the evidence and provide it, and if people still want to call fake I would just provide better evidence. If they still don't believe, hey - at least I tried, which is far more than can be said about the majority (if not all) of the claimants here.

If you want people to believe (as I believe all posters who claim psi powers do, otherwise why post at all), the burden of proof is on you. Seeing as how even the most easily proven claims have yet to be shown, the only conclusion I can come up with is either people are lying, or they are mistaken. I can understand if somebody has these powers and wants to be quiet about it, but with all the claims we have here I can't help but think at least ONE of the claimants would be excited enough about it to provide evidence - which they don't.

Therefore, in my opinion, it's all fantasy/lies/in people's heads, and until I see ANY evidence to go on, I have no choice but to think this.

If anybody has a better excuse (other than 1, 2, or 3 and variations thereof) on why there's no evidence, I'd love to hear it. I'd also like to see any evidence that people have posted/found.

let me sleep over and ill let ya know if there is anything there.....i only dream about things when im sleeping in a certain place where something happend

i made u a cookie but i eated it

#7    Sporkling

Sporkling

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:26 PM

Well actually its like this. Quiet means you want people to know about it. But in a more secret sense. Because its like good to have a special ability and have people discuss with them about it than say it outright in the real world.

There is no such thing as no choice for, in life, there is always a choice

Edited by Saru, 06 May 2008 - 03:13 PM.
Fixed quote tags

#8    WiCkEdWENDIGO

WiCkEdWENDIGO

Lil Pet

• 1,216 posts

• mmmmmmmmmmmmmm cow

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

see i dont blame it on any of that i blame it if i was there i would but i can only dream im only right 85% of the time

#9    Moonie2012

Moonie2012

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:52 PM

Sporkling, your random nonsensical posts aren't needed here, thanks - unless you have some proof, you're just yelling excuses into the wind.

Edited by Moonie2012, 06 May 2008 - 01:55 PM.

#10    Sporkling

Sporkling

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:04 PM

Moonie2012 on May 6 2008, 01:14 AM, said:

If anybody has a better excuse (other than 1, 2, or 3 and variations thereof) on why there's no evidence, I'd love to hear it.

I wonder why you ask if you don't want to be told.

Edited by Sporkling, 06 May 2008 - 02:06 PM.

#11    Moonie2012

Moonie2012

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

Sporkling on May 6 2008, 09:04 AM, said:

I wonder why you ask if you don't want to be told.

I do want to be told - unfortunately, your garden variety excuses and nonsense isn't the truth - at least in the sense of why people don't post videos and other proof of their "powers".

The real reason they don't - it's all nonsense, and anybody who believes all these stories with absolutely no proof is the definition of foolish.

Edited by Moonie2012, 06 May 2008 - 02:14 PM.

#12    Sporkling

Sporkling

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

Moonie2012 on May 6 2008, 10:08 PM, said:

I do want to be told - unfortunately, your garden variety excuses and nonsense isn't the truth - at least in the sense of why people don't post videos and other proof of their "powers".

The real reason they don't - it's all nonsense.

It is the truth moon, at least, in my eyes. In my postion, things are different. However, this does not imply that what i've said is nonsense. Because what i've said is what I think is the reason people don't show their powers. And its what you are asking for. Maybe if you don't wish to be misunderstood, you can say what you want to hear instead of something so vague like " i want to know about other excuses".

#13    Moonie2012

Moonie2012

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

Sporkling on May 6 2008, 09:16 AM, said:

It is the truth moon, at least, in my eyes. In my postion, things are different. However, this does not imply that what i've said is nonsense. Because what i've said is what I think is the reason people don't show their powers. And its what you are asking for. Maybe if you don't wish to be misunderstood, you can say what you want to hear instead of something so vague like " i want to know about other excuses".

I have no need to respond to you anymore, as you never have anything good to offer to these discussions, only rambling excuses and trivial arguments - sorry.

Believe what you want - it doesn't make you right.

Later.

Edited by Moonie2012, 06 May 2008 - 02:23 PM.

#14    WiCkEdWENDIGO

WiCkEdWENDIGO

Lil Pet

• 1,216 posts

• mmmmmmmmmmmmmm cow

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

never really said i have powers i just see dead people in dreams and go tell people idk if its real im just oddly right alot

#15    WiCkEdWENDIGO

WiCkEdWENDIGO

Lil Pet

• 1,216 posts

• mmmmmmmmmmmmmm cow

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:26 PM

also its like proving what jesus did u eaither belive it or you dont..or like love or god....or why an bannana isnt spelled banana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users