Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

World Wide Telescope

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:47 PM

I stumbled on this site the other day, just thought a few might be interested? Its a free download!

The WorldWide Telescope (WWT) is a Web 2.0 visualization software environment that enables your computer to function as a virtual telescope—bringing together imagery from the best ground and space-based telescopes in the world for a seamless exploration of the universe.

(Above taken from website. © 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved)

WWT Link

What you need to run it...

*  Microsoft® XP SP2 (minimum), Windows® Vista® (recommended)
    * PC with Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 2 gigahertz (GHz) or faster, recommended
    * 1 gigabyte (GB) of RAM; 2 GB RAM recommended
    * 3D accelerated card with 128 megabytes (MB) RAM; discrete graphics card with dedicated 256-MB VRAM recommended for higher performance
    * 1 GB of available hard disk space; 10 GB recommended for off-line features and higher performance browsing
    * XGA (1024 x 768) or higher resolution monitor
    * Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing and scrolling device
    * Microsoft® DirectX® version 9.0c and .NET Framework 2.0
    * Required for some features; Internet connection at 56 Kbps or higher through either an Internet service provider (ISP) or a network. Internet access might require a separate fee to an ISP; local or long-distance telephone charges might also apply

Mine run seamlessly, but I do have a 4 gig, dual core computer. But it is an amazing program.

#2    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

the disapointing part is that you cant look at planets sad.gif

thats a very interesting story about the shark and how it tried to eat you, but it still doesnt answer my question.  where the hell is my sandwitch!?

#3    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

dr alien on May 19 2008, 08:00 PM, said:

the disapointing part is that you cant look at planets sad.gif

You can zoom in and see them from the angle that they would be seen from the night sky!

#4    crtDzyn

crtDzyn

Bills • Sabres • Buffalo

• 4,222 posts

• Get to da choppa

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

I wish I had a computer fast enough to handle this because it's a very cool idea.

Posted Image

#5    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

Kryso on May 20 2008, 07:51 PM, said:

You can zoom in and see them from the angle that they would be seen from the night sky!

but it would have been a good idea to have them together in the solar system so it would be easier to find manualy rather than to type it in and to look at planets outside the solar system like pegasi b or something.

thats a very interesting story about the shark and how it tried to eat you, but it still doesnt answer my question.  where the hell is my sandwitch!?

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,779 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:38 PM

I'd like a interface to position my scope to the same position I am looking at on the screen. This software has its shortcomings but is probably one of the best planetarium softwares I have seen.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    mistressofnone

mistressofnone

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:44 PM

WOW. Definitely downloading this right now.

#8    Wootloops

Wootloops

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

• Life... it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:02 PM

I found it a bit disappointing. I thought it was going to be more of a 3D thing, not just a collage of pictures disgust.gif .

Posted Image

#9    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,779 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

Wootloops on May 24 2008, 02:02 AM, said:

I found it a bit disappointing. I thought it was going to be more of a 3D thing, not just a collage of pictures disgust.gif .

There are very few 3d images of space.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#10    Aanica

Aanica

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:30 AM

Kryso on May 19 2008, 01:47 PM, said:

I stumbled on this site the other day, just thought a few might be interested? Its a free download!

(Above taken from website. © 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved)

WWT Link

What you need to run it...

*  Microsoft® XP SP2 (minimum), Windows® Vista® (recommended)
    * PC with Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 2 gigahertz (GHz) or faster, recommended
    * 1 gigabyte (GB) of RAM; 2 GB RAM recommended
    * 3D accelerated card with 128 megabytes (MB) RAM; discrete graphics card with dedicated 256-MB VRAM recommended for higher performance
    * 1 GB of available hard disk space; 10 GB recommended for off-line features and higher performance browsing
    * XGA (1024 x 768) or higher resolution monitor
    * Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing and scrolling device
    * Microsoft® DirectX® version 9.0c and .NET Framework 2.0
    * Required for some features; Internet connection at 56 Kbps or higher through either an Internet service provider (ISP) or a network. Internet access might require a separate fee to an ISP; local or long-distance telephone charges might also apply

Mine run seamlessly, but I do have a 4 gig, dual core computer. But it is an amazing program.
WOW WOW WOW!!!! I know I feel like I am in a planeterium cant thank you enough sometime you get one right and you sure did on this... yes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users