Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

The Bloop and the Slow Down


  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Pol_Pot_will_killyou

Pol_Pot_will_killyou

    Apparition

  • Closed
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Joined:21 Apr 2008

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:01 PM

Has anyone ever tried to figure out what The Bloop was by using prehistoric animal's fossil measurements? i.e. the way they can tell what sound a parasaurolophus made by reconstructing its bones. Is there any way to sort of, reverse-engineer what the Bloop would sound like or come from, instead of just writing it off as "bigger than a whale"?
Also the Bloop was recorded somewhere off the southwest coast of South America but where was the Slow Down recorded?

-Pol


#2    Katherine of Aragon

Katherine of Aragon

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined:17 May 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • For every scholar that would vote for you, I could find a thousand that would vote for me.

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:07 PM

Sea creatures being one of the only types of cryptid I find plausible, I would be greatly interested to hear of any attempts to discover the origins of the 'Bloop'. It is too tantalising a find to ignore; although I would rather it remains a mystery than discover it to be prosaic in origin. original.gif

Posted Image

#3    makaya325

makaya325

    Government Agent

  • Banned
  • 3,716 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:long island, new york

  • uncle phil: geoffrey, fetch me my tools

    geoffrey: you mean your knife and fork, sir?

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:21 PM

Katherine of Aragon on May 21 2008, 09:07 PM, said:

Sea creatures being one of the only types of cryptid I find plausible, I would be greatly interested to hear of any attempts to discover the origins of the 'Bloop'. It is too tantalising a find to ignore; although I would rather it remains a mystery than discover it to be prosaic in origin. original.gif


why do we care about such a mystery today? the ocean im assuming is quite large, so i believe it can hold a few unknown guppies down there


#4    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

    Wizard

  • Member
  • 5,987 posts
  • Joined:20 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:KY

  • Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:58 PM

I've never heard of the "Slow Down" before. What's that?

Edit: Nevermind. (:

I found this for you: Slow Down was a sound recorded on May 19, 1997 in the Equatorial Pacific ocean by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The source of the sound remains unknown.


(The Bloop sounds really mechanical to me, so honestly, I don't know what to think. It's possible there's anything down there.)

Edited by Ebonykrow, 23 May 2008 - 12:00 AM.


#5    BigDaddy_GFS

BigDaddy_GFS

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined:05 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eastern USA

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:54 AM

The audio of the Bloop which was posted on the net was actually sped up, not slowed down.
Thr most plausible running theory is that it's the result of geological disturbance, like a gas discharge or volcanic activty in the ocean bottom.

I'm not saying it couldn't be an unknown leviathan. But we only have the sound to go on.

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-- George Orwell

"A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity. "
--Robert Frost

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson

#6    Pol_Pot_will_killyou

Pol_Pot_will_killyou

    Apparition

  • Closed
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Joined:21 Apr 2008

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:54 PM

I mean, if its bigger than a blue whale that has gotta only be a few known species throughout time...
If you know its massive, why cant you look at that small group of animals that were bigger than blue whales, and in indigenous to that area at some point in time, then make a somewhat guess as to which animal could have the lungs for that noise.
I just want a face to go along with the sound.
And someone please, where was the Slow Down heard at... I cant find a location for it anywhere.
-Pol


#7    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,393 posts
  • Joined:04 Oct 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eastern Nebraska, USA

  • Champanya?

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:26 PM

Pol_Pot_will_killyou on May 23 2008, 04:54 PM, said:

I mean, if its bigger than a blue whale that has gotta only be a few known species throughout time...
If you know its massive, why cant you look at that small group of animals that were bigger than blue whales, and in indigenous to that area at some point in time, then make a somewhat guess as to which animal could have the lungs for that noise.
I just want a face to go along with the sound.
And someone please, where was the Slow Down heard at... I cant find a location for it anywhere.
-Pol

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the blue whale is the largest animal known to have ever existed.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. -- W. Somerset Maugham
Posted Image

#8    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

    Wizard

  • Member
  • 5,987 posts
  • Joined:20 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:KY

  • Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:46 AM

Incorrigible1 on May 23 2008, 05:26 PM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the blue whale is the largest animal known to have ever existed.


As far as everything I can find, the blue whale is the largest known animal. (And sort of, certain recordings of a blue whale sound really similar to the Bloop--the version that isn't sped up, I guess if you're looking to make that connection.)




And Pol, I posted already where the Slow Down was found.

Edited by Ebonykrow, 24 May 2008 - 12:48 AM.


#9    Pol_Pot_will_killyou

Pol_Pot_will_killyou

    Apparition

  • Closed
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Joined:21 Apr 2008

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

The blue whale is the largest marine mammal, there was bigger dinosaurs than that.
And thanks for the location.

-Pol


#10    Kamazar

Kamazar

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined:06 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

Only about 5% of the ocean has been explored, so practically anything could live down there, escaping the changes of evolution. Heck, there could be an underwater city for all we know. Shame we should go on exploring other planets and galaxies without paying mind to our own planet.

Calvin: "See any UFOs?"
Hobbes: "Not yet."
Calvin: "Well, keep your eyes open, they're bound to land here sometime."
Hobbes: "What will we do when they come?"
Calvin: "See if we can sell Mom and Dad into slavery for a star cruiser."
Posted Image

#11    -Jaded.Silhouette-

-Jaded.Silhouette-

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Oklahoma City

  • "...what is truth for us today may be just a stepping stone to a higher understanding that may be given to us tomorrow." -Jwnody

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:25 PM

For those that haven't heard the Slow Down: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Down_%28...tified_sound%29

That was the easiest for me to find. I have to agree, though interesting, the Bloop really does sound mechanical. The Slow Down, however, sounds more like a really drawn out groan.


#12    Xeaphon

Xeaphon

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined:30 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Wrythe, Austenasia

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:37 PM

Pol_Pot_will_killyou on May 24 2008, 08:19 PM, said:

The blue whale is the largest marine mammal, there was bigger dinosaurs than that.
And thanks for the location.

-Pol




there could have been bigger dinosaurs, but there is no proof

average blue whale is 33metres
largest dinosaur found was supersaurus, 30 metres long



however, i found this out from a book which may be wrong, please correct me if i am wrong


#13    Otterclaw

Otterclaw

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Joined:02 Apr 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Atlantas

  • Trust the Unseen...

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:50 PM

Really, you'd think everyone in the Navy and science community would make a more serious-sounding and complicated name, but somehow they settled on "Bloop." Anyhow, I love the sound of Bloop, in the slow-down. The other "mechanical" noise just sounds a bit like a bubble popping. I think it would be very cool if we discovered a huge unknown animal living in the ocean.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. " ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posted Image
The egg loves you. You should click it. -Prod- -Prod- ^^

#14    Mattshark

Mattshark

    stuff

  • Member
  • 16,985 posts
  • Joined:29 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, UK

  • Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

    If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:50 PM

Kamazar on May 24 2008, 10:18 PM, said:

Only about 5% of the ocean has been explored, so practically anything could live down there, escaping the changes of evolution. Heck, there could be an underwater city for all we know. Shame we should go on exploring other planets and galaxies without paying mind to our own planet.

High pressure and extremely limited nutrients mean that giant life down there is pretty much impossible. Deep sea fish are small in general and before anyone mentions giant squid they live mainly in middle depth waters and spend a lot of time in the photic zone.

They also have no skeleton to crush.

Edited by Mattshark, 03 June 2008 - 08:51 PM.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#15    Otterclaw

Otterclaw

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Joined:02 Apr 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Atlantas

  • Trust the Unseen...

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:52 PM

Mattshark on Jun 3 2008, 04:50 PM, said:

High pressure and extremely limited nutrients mean that giant life down there is pretty much impossible. Deep sea fish are small in general and before anyone mentions giant squid they live mainly in middle depth waters and spend a lot of time in the photic zone.

They also have no skeleton to crush.



And yet we have seen hundreds of amazing creatures who can do things that we never thought could ever be possible, or have special attributes to help them do things we never even thought mattered, so why could Bloop not be one of those exceptions? And besides, is it not possible that any creature like that could be spending some time in the photic zone, as well?

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. " ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posted Image
The egg loves you. You should click it. -Prod- -Prod- ^^




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users