Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Does your pet know when your sick?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,276 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:50 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I was wondering.  I caught a cold this week and my cat has been very clingy all week.  She has been rubbing legs and cuddling in my lap more than usual.  It is like she knows I don't feel good and need a little extra comfort.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#2    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,672 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:19 PM

Darkwind on Jun 4 2008, 11:50 PM, said:

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I was wondering.  I caught a cold this week and my cat has been very clingy all week.  She has been rubbing legs and cuddling in my lap more than usual.  It is like she knows I don't feel good and need a little extra comfort.

She does know. original.gif

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#3    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,136 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:45 PM

I'd say definately yes.

Here's a really interesting article on Epilepsy.com about seizure alert dogs.

http://www.epilepsy.com/articles/ar_1084289240

Dogs and probably cats too pick up on our behavior and emotions. We act differently when we're sick and it's no suprise that our pets respond to that.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#4    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,714 posts

• The giving of love is an education in itself.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:56 PM

Darkwind on Jun 4 2008, 03:50 PM, said:

of course she does dark... she wuvs you and is taking care of you. daddy dark.....

#5    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:29 AM

Supra Sheri on Jun 5 2008, 12:56 AM, said:

of course she does dark... she wuvs you and is taking care of you. daddy dark.....

Lol, sadly with this case and cats, THEY WANT YOUR HEAT MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry couldn't resist (Well cats are evil and proud of it)!

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#6    theGhost_and_theDarkness

theGhost_and_theDarkness

Tsavo Maneater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

• Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. - Norman Cousins

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:22 AM

Ugh, I know how you feel dark, I've been sick as well. My one cat has been clingy (actually the mean one!) and the usually clingy one doesn't really seem to care.  laugh.gif

I remember when I was about 13 (or 14), I was sick, and my parents had kept me out of school, but they let me stay by myself. . .and, I guess I had an allergic reaction to the medicine that I had taken, because I just suddenly couldn't breathe. . .Everything blacked out and the next thing I remembered, I was laying on the kitchen floor and we had this horribly mean and irrate siamese, and he had his head on me purring. . .and I just laid there for a minute, and watched him. . .the other animals had started getting curious and coming to "check me out" and he got really mad and started chasing them off and hissing at them. . .he let my little chihuahua near me, but I'm not sure why her and not the others. . .although my family did (jokingly of course) give her the nickname of "Nurse Bunny" (Bunny was another one of her nicknames because of her big ears) because whenever someone got sick, she was always right there, whether you had a fever or not. . .anyways, he let her near me, but none of the others. . .and he turned around and, I guess, noticed my eyes were half open, and he got right in my face and started tapping it with his paw. . .it reminded me of how, in movies, people will sort of gently slap people to make sure they were ok or to try and wake them up. . .It was a very strange experience to me. . .I never really understood it. . .As soon as he saw I was ok, he just walked off as if nothing had ever happened, and went back to being his normal ornery self.  I still don't understand it, but I do sort of find it sweet/humorous how the cat acted.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

#7    merril

merril

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:24 AM

Enjoy your pets, but keep an eye on them. I lost my old time male cat (a real romeo and twice all but demonstrated ESP. Like the day I decided to take him in and feed him.  At that moment, he turned around and stared me down and came running to my door).

A pack of big viscious dogs took him down. I ran outside, and witnessed it. I intervened immediately, but it all happened so fast. Another cat was puny and partially blind for years, and she bolted for the hills.

There is more of this sort of thing where I live. Adoptions are way down, road dogs are increasing and they run in packs. I have a lot less respect for canines as anything other than latent pack animals.

#8    Sixth

Sixth

Poltergeist

• 2,275 posts

• Scientists get funky about having their research poached

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:35 AM

Yes!! My small puppy always knew when I was depressed, sad, or dealing with some killer cramps. She came and made herself a general distraction from the pain / pain in the ****.

do your palms ever itch?

#9    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,276 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

Mattshark on Jun 5 2008, 02:29 AM, said:

Lol, sadly with this case and cats, THEY WANT YOUR HEAT MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry couldn't resist (Well cats are evil and proud of it)!

If you die in you house your hungry cat will wait until you're dead before they eat you, your hungry dog will start on you while you're still alive.  Now who is more evil.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#10    Dr. D

Dr. D

Alien Abducter

• 5,275 posts

• I love being me even though sometimes I'm still a stranger.

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:44 PM

Darkwind on Jun 4 2008, 11:50 PM, said:

"A dog is a better human than the average human."

The sensitivity of animals has been recorded time and again.  Their awareness of illness, pending illness and as in the case of the cat in the nursing home, see www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/25/death.cat.ap/index.html, even death.

#11    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

Darkwind on Jun 5 2008, 03:39 PM, said:

If you die in you house your hungry cat will wait until you're dead before they eat you, your hungry dog will start on you while you're still alive.  Now who is more evil.

That ok, I only have a cat, dogs are to needy.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#12    Vixxy

Vixxy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:30 PM

I'd say pets seem to definately catch on quickly when someone's ill or upset, faster than people in some cases.

But I do have a rather inattentive family. tongue.gif

#13    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,371 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

Darkwind on Jun 5 2008, 02:39 PM, said:

And you know this how exactly? Just a minute, on second thought...I'm not sure I want to know! unsure.gif

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#14    asc.rudeboy

asc.rudeboy

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

• I WOULD RATHER DIE ON MY FEET THEN LIVE ON MY KNEES!

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

yea animals know when something is up,they might not be able to help find the answer but they have no problem putting chasing their tails and other play on hold to sit next to you wile you think about it...

say what you want a bout dogs,i watched my rottweiler go threw depression when me and my live in gf broke up and my daughter moved out the house,,,he didnt eat he didnt sleep and would go to her room and cry because he missed her so much,,when my daughter came back home to live with me,his health went back to normal...cats could careless if your there or not...

#15    sbradj

sbradj

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

asc.rudeboy on Jun 5 2008, 02:58 PM, said:

...cats could careless if your there or not...

sorry but I have to disagree.  My son has been out of town for a week now and he has this annoying cat that no one can stand. But that cat has cried this annoying meow for the past week, she goes to his room looks around smells everything jumps in his bed an meows somemore. she is not a bit happy he is not here. when he is here she follows him everywhere naps whereever he's sitting pounces him. best play toy she has. so Im thinking she cares.

As for animals knowing when something is up rather it be sickness stress or even joy they pick up on it. My horse knows when something isnt "right"  dogs the same, specially my mastif he seems to know even when there has been bad news after a phone call. he will come over an try to comfort. weird. but true. when I am sick he wont leave my side. animals are so much more comforting the people ever could be. they seem to know exactly what to do.

If you wanna read nice things, then go to your local floriest and read their nice note tags  

"I'm your huckleberry" Doc. Holliday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users