Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Humans...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    RipeFRuit

RipeFRuit

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

• Life is all but ripe.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:51 PM

In our quest for understanding our origins the most common questions are usually "Did we evolve?" or "Did God create us?"

IMO we evolved...

It just makes so much sense, looking back at all the evidence and theories readily available.  I don't want to go into great detail because this post is just so i can find out what you think  yes.gif.
I look froward to reading your responses.

Posted Image

#2    Funky Poacher

Funky Poacher

Poltergeist

• 2,316 posts

• Scientists get funky about having their research poached

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:54 PM

Maybe God created apes to evolve ! ohmy.gif MIND TRIP!!

do your palms ever itch?

#3    Twisted_Dragon

Twisted_Dragon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 87 posts

• "Paradise. He's building a paradise. And I'm playing the part of the Serpent?"

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

Not sure how far this thread is going to go, as it essentially becomes a creationism vs. evolution debate.  I'm personally an atheist, but either way I'm an evolutionist.  I believe that even if there is a higher power, it created the essentials and they moved along on their own, eventually developing into what is currently in existence.  In reference to the title, Primates aren't even a species, I think it's actually the family that encompasses apes and monkeys, then it is further broken down into the different genus, then species.  But humans are a distinct species, as one of the defining characteristics of a species is being able to breed successfully, and I do not believe they can interbreed with other apes.  To the best of my understanding, a human cannot successfully mate with a chimp or a gorilla, so I'll say separate species.

Posted Image

#4    Nucular

Nucular

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:49 PM

Twisted_Dragon on Jun 12 2008, 07:45 PM, said:

Not sure how far this thread is going to go, as it essentially becomes a creationism vs. evolution debate.

Yes, there about a hundred of these acive on this board already, aren't there?  Always an interesting subject, but surely there can only be so many threads on the subject at once!

To the best of my understanding, a human cannot successfully mate with a chimp or a gorilla, so I'll say separate species.

That's right, chimps and gorillas are surprisingly strong wink2.gif

#5    RipeFRuit

RipeFRuit

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

• Life is all but ripe.

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:20 AM

Twisted_Dragon on Jun 12 2008, 11:45 AM, said:

I'll say separate species.

Any evidence that backs this up?

Posted Image

#6    Radian

Radian

Καρδιά ενός &a

• 8,002 posts

• Καρδιά ενός δράκου

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:29 AM

RipeFRuit on Jun 6 2008, 06:51 PM, said:

In our quest for understanding our origins the most common questions are usually "Did we evolve?" or "Did God create us?"

Who's to say that God didn't intend for us to evolve? Maybe that is part of the entire creation process, evolving.

Posted Image <-- my attack bee

#7    lars123456789

lars123456789

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

• well yes... why not? could be plausible

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:31 AM

a fairly discussable subject (without underestimating:P) But i believe in evolution. But from what i have heard our evolution was a little faster than the other species, and then i allways end up asking why?... But what the heck

well yes, why not?... could be plausible

#8    Twisted_Dragon

Twisted_Dragon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 87 posts

• "Paradise. He's building a paradise. And I'm playing the part of the Serpent?"

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:18 AM

My evidence is in the form of what it means to be a separate species.  Humans cannot interbreed with other primates to produce viable offspring, which is a defining characteristic of a species. So humans are, by definition a different species, and are classes as such.  There is no room for debate in that regard.  Questioning it any further than that is going beyond the concept of a "species" as mere nomenclature, which leads me to believe you have a misunderstanding of the word.

Posted Image

#9    RipeFRuit

RipeFRuit

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

• Life is all but ripe.

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:29 PM

Twisted_Dragon on Jun 13 2008, 09:18 PM, said:

My evidence is in the form of what it means to be a separate species.  Humans cannot interbreed with other primates to produce viable offspring, which is a defining characteristic of a species. So humans are, by definition a different species, and are classes as such.  There is no room for debate in that regard.  Questioning it any further than that is going beyond the concept of a "species" as mere nomenclature, which leads me to believe you have a misunderstanding of the word.

First, who are you to say what is a debate topic or not?
Second, everyone know that humans cannot interbreed with primates.
Third, the meaning of this topic is to read what other think about evolution.

Humans cannot interbreed with primates now, because we evolved but before we became the 'Homo' species we were regular ol' primates, who did something amazing at the time, stood up, witch this is when we became a separate species.  Anyway, I just wanted to know what everyone thought on the subject of evolution, just as my first post states.

Just so we are clear Twisted_Dragon this is the question I am asking; Did Humans evolve?

Edited by RipeFRuit, 15 June 2008 - 11:30 PM.

Posted Image

#10    Twisted_Dragon

Twisted_Dragon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:48 AM

I wasn't so much labeling it a debate topic as I was noting its potential to be so.  No need for the apparent hostility.

In any case, I'm a staunch evolutionist, and personally believe that humans evolved.  After having to read multiple books on the topic I just feel that there is an overabundant amount of knowledge and evidence within the fossil record to indicate that they evolved.

Posted Image

#11    RipeFRuit

RipeFRuit

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

• Life is all but ripe.

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:29 PM

Twisted_Dragon on Jun 15 2008, 05:48 PM, said:

I just feel that there is an overabundant amount of knowledge and evidence within the fossil record to indicate that they evolved.

I would have to agree with you on this  original.gif  
And it explaines why some people look like apes  grin2.gif

Posted Image

#12    Rosewin

Rosewin

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:36 PM

A better question is are we a finished product or will we continue evolving...

#13    RipeFRuit

RipeFRuit

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

• Life is all but ripe.

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:50 PM

Clovis on Jun 23 2008, 01:36 PM, said:

We will probably continue to evolve probably at a slower rate but still evolving nonetheless? How long have humans been evolving? some X thousands or millions of years, why stop?

Posted Image

#14    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

Alien Abducter

• 4,583 posts

• "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:34 PM

Shankpin on Jun 14 2008, 04:29 AM, said:

Who's to say that God didn't intend for us to evolve? Maybe that is part of the entire creation process, evolving.

If that were true, why aren't there any religious texts that explicitly describe evolution as our origin?

Clovis on Jun 23 2008, 09:36 PM, said:

Human evolution will only stop when we're no longer humans or no longer reproducing.

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.

#15    uknow_me72

uknow_me72

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:51 PM

Planet of the Apes was a movie. It was intended for us to compare ourselves to the Monkeys so the Evolution theory will be subconciously enforced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users