Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Waterloo: The Blood Sport World Cup

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you support Blood Sports? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support Blood Sports?

1. Yes (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. No (14 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    DespondentDave

DespondentDave

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

• I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:18 PM

I honestly don't see how anyone can agree with blood sports, but I have had discussions with people that do, although that was on fox hunting.

It's amazing that these people actually believe that is acceptable, that it is better for them to have a quick death than slowly being poisoned by farmers trying to keep them off their land.

If that's all it's about then why do they turn up to watch it, and get 'enjoyment' out of it?

Personally I'd feed them all to the lions. They'd soon change their opinion about how much fun it is.

#17    Thistle

Thistle

Mighty Midget Queen of the Faeries

• 2,284 posts

• Stick Girl

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Scar @ Feb 26 2004, 07:13 PM)

How many cookies could a good cook cook if good cook could cook cookies ?

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

lol Scar .....dammit stop making me laugh.  I'm trying to be serious ( for once )

It could also be argued that the people who participate in the shoots are as bloodthirsty as those who go to watch Hare coursing.

* goes back to trying to say Scar's tonguetwister *   whistling2.gif  

#18    Scar

Scar

Forum Bum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

• No man is an island, but some of us are pretty long peninsulas.

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:27 PM

An idea !!

We need Meat right ?

These folk want to see blood right ?

Lets KILL EM  rolleyes.gif  and pump them full of morphine so they can watch as we set dobbermans on them ??  thumbsup.gif

Seriously why not let the bloodsport people kill the meat for our Dinners ?

then we would get our meat fix , and they would get there blood , then we can KILL EM !

Or not  tongue.gif  

****!!1one1one

#19    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:36 PM

why does the Hare being coursed have more of a right to live than the cow/pig/chicken etc that is served up for dinner every day of the week?

Well I only eat chicken and fish so I don't like they have more right  tongue.gif

But I could say its because those farm animals aren't wild and their species only exist becaus we selectively breed them into the current form to eat. Out in the wild these animals would die, hares wouldn't... plus they aren't cased around by dogs for the fun of the crowd, plus we don't eat them... well really hungry tv women aparently do  wacko.gif

It could also be argued that the people who participate in the shoots are as bloodthirsty as those who go to watch Hare coursing.

Oh, I don't agree with peasant shoots either  grin2.gif , as again it serves no purpose, most of the birds are wild, and even in areas where the birds as raised for the hunt it can't be justified letting them go simply to be shot. Also most downed birds arn't eaten  grin2.gif

grin2.gif  grin2.gif  grin2.gif  

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#20    Thistle

Thistle

• 2,284 posts

• Stick Girl

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (Talon S. @ Feb 26 2004, 07:36 PM)

Also most downed birds arn't eaten

They're not ???????

How do you know this TalonS? I've been to several shoots....... damn I'm an open target now  laugh.gif..........and can honestly say that every bird that was downed was taken home to somebody's kitchen.  It is also incorrect to say that the shoot serves no purpose......in many shoots, the sole purpose is to " take out " the old cock pheasants who are holding territories with no hope of breeding.  By culling them, it allows a younger male to take over the area and rear young.

BTW..........I don't hold with "peasant" shooting either........just cos they're poor doesn't mean we can kill them  wink2.gif  

#21    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:59 PM

BTW..........I don't hold with "peasant" shooting either........just cos they're poor doesn't mean we can kill them 

Okay, I'll admit that hasn't been done in abgout 200 years

How do you know this TalonS? I've been to several shoots....... damn I'm an open target now ..........and can honestly say that every bird that was downed was taken home to somebody's kitchen. It is also incorrect to say that the shoot serves no purpose......in many shoots, the sole purpose is to " take out " the old cock pheasants who are holding territories with no hope of breeding. By culling them, it allows a younger male to take over the area and rear young.

I'd copy paste, but I don't seem able  wacko.gif anyway, second paragraph

http://www.lancslacs.co.uk/pheasant_shooting.htm

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#22    Thistle

Thistle

• 2,284 posts

• Stick Girl

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE "The remaining 16 million are shot, of which only half are thought to be eaten."

Note the use of the word " thought " .....in other words, this is NOT proven fact.  I have no doubt that there are many shoots which are badly managed but I repeat that on the shoots I have attended NO bird is wasted.  

Speaking from a purely personal level.....I would far rather eat a bird which has led a life in the wild and been killed quickly and humanely than a chicken which has lived in cramped squallid conditions and been killed on a conveyor belt.

thumbsup.gif  

#23    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (Seraphina @ Feb 25 2004, 07:33 PM)
drag hunting is practiced instead of fox hunting for example (for those who don't know, drag hunting involves a human runner, marked out in some way by a strong cent, usually anacede.

When you said "drag hunting" I pictured something totally different. tongue.gif

That's just me though... whistling2.gif  

Attached Images

• CJSISW.jpg

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#24    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:50 PM

Note the use of the word " thought " .....in other words, this is NOT proven fact. I have no doubt that there are many shoots which are badly managed but I repeat that on the shoots I have attended NO bird is wasted.

But out of all the shoots out there how many do you attend? Also how do you garantee all the birds are taken home and eaten?  huh.gif

Speaking from a purely personal level.....I would far rather eat a bird which has led a life in the wild and been killed quickly and humanely than a chicken which has lived in cramped squallid conditions and been killed on a conveyor belt.

I avoid consuming battery products for just that reason, anyway I wouldn't call being cased out of their hidding places by dogs and then shot a humane death. As for the conveyer belt...most actually have their necks broken... tongue.gif which isn't particularly better  wacko.gif  

#25    Thistle

Thistle

• 2,284 posts

• Stick Girl

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Talon S. @ Feb 26 2004, 08:50 PM)

But out of all the shoots out there how many do you attend? Also how do you garantee all the birds are taken home and eaten?  huh.gif

I probably attend about 20 shoots per season......sorry no idea what percentage of the total shoots in this area that is.  I can guarantee that all the birds are used on the shoots I attend because I know everyone that attends the shoots......only those people who are going to use the birds take them home.

As for chickens having their necks broken.....I'm afraid not.  I would love to share with you the method used by the majority of places for killing chicken but I fear it may turn the stomachs of many people reading this thread...........not very nice at all  crying.gif  

#26    Scar

Scar

Forum Bum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:16 PM

I agree with Thistle ,

Everytime I've cocked my gun and went hunting Birds you can guarentee that they will be eaten  wink2.gif

As for hunting game , I go hunting occasionally and hunt to kill and Eat. Personally I dont see the diffrence between Hunting and fishing.

At least there dead when i pull the trigger, and dont get beat about about the head with a club or left to suffocate in a mass of their relitives sad.gif

And before the old fish dont feel pain etc, Recent studies have shown that fish do feel stress and pain like any other animal that lives on this earth  

****!!1one1one

#27    Thistle

Thistle

• 2,284 posts

• Stick Girl

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Scar @ Feb 26 2004, 09:16 PM)

Everytime I've cocked my gun and went hunting Birds you can guarentee that they will be eaten  wink2.gif

w00t.gif  w00t.gif

* tries and fails to suppress a shameless snigger *

Yay Scar, nice to know somebody agrees with me  thumbsup.gif  

#28    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:38 PM

Why not just buy dead birds out of shops instead of going and killing some poor animal personally? Tons of dead animals are thrown away a year because they are not eaten, what a waste of life.

And before the old fish dont feel pain etc, Recent studies have shown that fish do feel stress and pain like any other animal that lives on this earth

Indeed... who said they didn't?  blink.gif

On a side note, do you at all feel sorry for the life your ending? huh.gif And I mean that as a proper question, not an attack.

#29    Thistle

Thistle

• 2,284 posts

• Stick Girl

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (Talon S. @ Feb 26 2004, 09:38 PM)
Why not just buy dead birds out of shops instead of going and killing some poor animal personally? Tons of dead animals are thrown away a year because they are not eaten, what a waste of life.

Precisely Talon  thumbsup.gif

Tons of animals are slaughtered every year to FILL SHELVES in shops !!!!!!!! it is this mass production that is causing excessive wastage and is precisely why I prefer ( when possible ) not to buy my meat from supermarkets.  

Buying meat from a shop does not alter the fact that an animal has died for your dinner either, it just makes people feel less guilty about eating meat because they then do not have to think about where it came from.  At least I can honestly say that what is on my plate led a healthy life and had a quick death.

As for whether I feel sorry for the life I am ending, yes I do........but at the same time I am a meat eater and make no apologies for that fact.  I take no pleasure in the death of any animal but at least I refuse to hide behind polystyrene packaging to make my meat more acceptable.

thumbsup.gif  

#30    Scar

Scar

Forum Bum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (Talon S. @ Feb 26 2004, 08:38 PM)

Indeed... who said they didn't?  blink.gif

On a side note, do you at all feel sorry for the life your ending? huh.gif And I mean that as a proper question, not an attack.

First off I said "Before" meaning anyone that says otherwise

Second no, I enjoy the thrill , I enjoy the hunt, I enjoy the food . In fact i take pleasure in the fact that  I have put the killed my dinner with minimal pain.

If you eat meat there is no argument, if your'e a vegtablearian (my wee brothers term) then i respect your'e view

When you (if) you watch nature program and see a Predator mauling prey is that sick bad etc. I don't condone blood sports. But i have no problem with hunting for food, its Instinct which has been supressed since we allowed other poeple todo it for us  

user posted image C'mere Turkey user posted image

****!!1one1one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users