Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Urban Legends of Turnbull Canyon(Whittier Ca.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    NwtyNwty

NwtyNwty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:17 AM

View PostMax.L, on 31 October 2008 - 05:43 PM, said:

Paragraphing would make your story easier to read

Sorry ,but I just had to comment on this.... Yes you are very correct but ,if you would have thought about it for just maybe long enough to put yourself in his shoes and how he was recalling and reliving that night over again. I know you have either been really frightened or maybe excited about telling something that happened, We all have.
  Come on why be so criticaL, he was just typing away and thinking about what happened and getting it out and heard . Not even thinking about paragrahing or correcting. I mean really was that needed to be said?  I'm sure he knew that. Obviously he just wasn't thinking , probably deep in thought....!

#17    Aim4TheHead

Aim4TheHead

Government Agent

• 3,979 posts

• This tragedy is all my fault.

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:05 AM

Yeah it was kind of hard to read it all, but anways, don't think I saw it in your post but there were suppose to be a lot of satanic rituals going on over there. At least that's what people told me when they would tell us not to go there.

#18    Emin

Emin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

If you run from cops that's reason enough to get arrested. Point made.

I am an Emin of truth!

#19    Jimmy Debunker

Jimmy Debunker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

I grew up in Whittier, CA, and spent pleny of time in Turnbull Canyon. It is a creepy place, without a doubt.

I tend to be a debunker at heart. This is not because I doubt the existence of the supernatural, but simply because most of the time I think people's accounts of such things are full of you-know-what.

As for this story, I can't take it too seriously. Here we have a group of people who go through an experience like this, have a bunch of cops show up, and nobody wants to talk to the police? Then, there's the matter of the backpacks and such right there to be scooped up after all of this. And with multiple people witnessing this "event," nobody thinks to pick up these items and take them to the authorities, or report this incident at all? Sorry, but that's just far too implausible to even begin to buy.

Again, don't take this as a guy who is skeptical of the supernatural. I'm just skeptical of people.

#20    DeezNuts

DeezNuts

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

I was high but I know what I saw that night and I will never forget it.

It started when a group of us were bored and high. We were looking for something to do, and decided to check out Turnbull Canyon. So we went, we were driving up and we kept getting lost. At first we were looking for the Gates of Hell, and we couldnt find it at first. So we just went to water tower and decided to smoke more... on the way up the road, i kept looking back for some reason. I didnt see any car behind us or on the road. Something felt sketchy though, I had that gut feeling that someone was watching us. We couldnt find the tower so we just reached the top and parked on the side and started walking up some trail. We were standing at the top, passing around the joints and whatnot when I decided to look at the road behind me. It was a pretty long way up and I remembered that there wasnt any cars behind us or on the road..but for some reason there were about 15-20 head lights right behind each other racing towards us at the last turn. Right when we started bugging out we heard alot of movement in the bushes around us. We all started to run to the car and took off. The only thing was when we were all in the car going back down the road, there werent any cars or anything. It was quiet and empty. On the way down, we took a wrong turn and somehow im guessing we ended up at the Gates of Hell and there were dogs sitting infront. When we seen that, we just stepped on the gas and finally got out and went home. No one talked the whole ride home.

Can someone help explaining to me what I saw that night?

#21    Lycanthropyst

Lycanthropyst

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:39 AM

there is definitely something strange going on in that place, satanic rituals maybe :devil:

#22    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 13,040 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

View PostPlease-Forgive-Me, on 22 February 2010 - 12:33 AM, said:

It has a lot of the same elements as the time space word account that happened in Modena back in the seventies to those four teenage girls driving through the Gadyanton Canyon.
that's what leapt to my mind as well. I wonder how close/related the two places are geologically.

ETA: What's with all the first-post people in this thread? My bsometer is going off now.

Edited by Wearer of Hats, 15 September 2011 - 07:34 AM.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#23    Lycanthropyst

Lycanthropyst

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

they probably signed up just to comment and tell their stories its no BS

#24    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 13,040 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

View PostLycanthropyst, on 15 September 2011 - 09:51 AM, said:

they probably signed up just to comment and tell their stories its no BS
But all of them, in such a short space of time, all talking about the same region and offering roughly the same information? That's got an air, at the very least of damp concrete and day old goat if you get my drift.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#25    LocalLegend

LocalLegend

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

• "So many cases I have known
    Of men who, though not naturally rogues,
    Became so, through misfortune, by constraint"
    -Menander

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

I haven't explored all of Turnbull Canyon, yet, but I'm going to. From what I saw, it looked like if you were in danger it would be by the bored teenagers that hang out there. But Turnbull Canyon was called Hutukngna by the Gabrielino Indians before the Spanish came. Look, I'm no Psychic but I lived next to Puvungna, which is the holiest of their sites, when I went up their there was a juvenile western diamondback in the middle of the path that the trail Lead didn't see. The Gabrielino/Tongva believed the Rattlesnake was the incarnation of their Most Powerful God, Chinigchinich. I know there was a war there but it was territorial between the Tongva and I want to say Digueno, I'm not sure...and after walking a small portion I'm fairly certain this is the spot that the Tongva held their human sacrifice rituals. I don't have any evidence, I just have a hunch.
Most of the real bad that I keep reading about was done by people after Hutukngna lost it's name. Were they sacrificing people to keep the dark side of the spirit at bay? Who knows, there aren't any Gabrielino's alive nowadays who remember. Probably the last died out in the 1700's or were killed by the Spanish.
I intend to map that place up as a hobby because Google is sketchy, anyways, I wanted to share this really informative piece about the legends of Turnbull or Hutukngna for others who are curious about that place.

This one is really thorough, the guy could be full of chrap how he came about his conclusions: http://piceandreamer...=197504#t197760
The Pre-cursor to this forum:
http://www.ghost-mys...ll canyon&st=0

#26    Hidakupa

Hidakupa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

Local Legend, you really should check your facts before making statements, cuz you obviously don't know what you are talking about. The Tongva did not practice human sacrifice! The book "Chinigchinich" does not mention that anywhere! At any rate, the Chinigchinich religion was probably a response to early contact with Catholicism. You can see the influences. That book is also written by someone who understood little of what he saw, and looked upon the tribes with disdain. I was very closely affiliated with the Tongva for many years, and spent many hours doing research for them. It wouldn't hurt for you to do a little more research yourself, you will avoid spreading misinformation and sounding foolish that way. I have also spent many happy hours at Puvungna, and have taken my dog there many times with no weirdness.
  Also, I happen to live in Whittier, and this stuff is silly. I'm a 57 year old woman, and take that road often, by myself, sometimes close to midnight. I took it over the hill and back 4 times on Monday! I have hiked there numerous times, and have found only found something creepy once. Of course, anyone hiking out there at night is suffering from stupidity, but hiking during the day is fine. Many years ago, I was there on the lower canyon trail near Beverly with a son of the tomyaar (chief), and we hiked into a side canyon and found a deer's head mounted on a stick looking up at the sky. So, I'm not saying that stuff doesn't happen there, animal sacrifice to be specific, but most of this crap is just urban legend best ignored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users