Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What if our world was merely a simulation?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31    saturnrings

saturnrings

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:27 PM

Aero 360 on Jun 19 2008, 04:06 PM, said:

Scientists agree that there is a 20% chance of us living in a simulated reality.  Maybe all of this is just a program running on a super computer ran by post-humans or an advanced alien civilization.  I mean think about it, just think about how Earth is SO "coincidentally" well-fit for life, and how we got here which was completely luck.

I'm a video game fan, and I play games constantly.  There's one quote that really makes me ponder.  It's this:  "Do you ever feel like you're not in charge of your own destiny, like...you're being controlled by an invisible hand?"

That makes me think... How do I know I'm not being controlled, and that all of this isn't some insane MMO played by advanced aliens who get entertainment out of all this, much like we get entertainment out of controlling a character in a game?

There could be a chance also that this is all one massive MMO, sure, it's far-fetched and sounds stupid, but I like thinking about it.  I mean how does my character in a particular game know he's controlled?  What if he thinks everything he does is on his free will, everything he says he just randomly thinks up, and when I log him off he's asleep or in a state of limbo?  I mean someone could be making me type this, but the program is making me believe I'm actually typing this on my free will.

Another fun question is that if our creators in the "physical world", are they REALLY in the real world?  Or yet another simulated reality?  Will we get to the point of running a simulated reality, a universe such as the Sims series, but much more evolved? Yes, actually, we will, very soon we will have computers fast enough to run such a program, and we will be able to see our own little worlds, evolving, growing, and perhaps living long enough to make their own simulated reality.  And then the process repeats.

Simulation-argument.com

I believe that the argument in your post is actually fair because i have expereinced lapses of time in my mind. when everything stops and looks like a hologram........ineresting feeling to go with it as well. it seems as if you look thru a glass but cannot locate your body. i might be sounds adventurous if i say that it feels as another type of astral projection?????????......hmm i leave it at it............... alien.gif

#32    Blueguardian

Blueguardian

Poltergeist

• 2,248 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:28 AM

I once had a theory that we could all somehow be in coma's somehow connected or something like that, but its too much for me to comprehend. But it would make sense. Sadly I would rather this reality to be fake then real. I'm a sad kid tongue.gif

Posted Image

(((Just My $00.2 cents)))

#33    John from Lowell

John from Lowell

Psychic Spy

• 1,770 posts

• Self Love Unlocks the Magic Inside

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:08 PM

Blueguardian on Aug 21 2008, 04:28 AM, said:

I once had a theory that we could all somehow be in coma's somehow connected or something like that, but its too much for me to comprehend. But it would make sense. Sadly I would rather this reality to be fake then real. I'm a sad kid tongue.gif

May be it would help to know that we create reality simulations so that we can study energy.

Humans are designed to think and feel that their reality is limited. Our 5 senses do a wonderful job of confining our grander senses. Is it so hart to trust that we do this with great forsight and purpose?

John

What We Are Never Changes !!

Who We Are Is Always Changing !!!

#34    Gunmunky

Gunmunky

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:09 PM

It's a great theory, because until we know for sure, there is always a chance.

LoL DONTEATUS

#35    Wookietim

Wookietim

Alien Abducter

• 4,907 posts

• Search on the Android App Store for "Mothras Unexplained Mysteries" for the app I am very proud of...

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

Aero 360 on Jun 19 2008, 11:06 AM, said:

Scientists agree that there is a 20% chance of us living in a simulated reality.  Maybe all of this is just a program running on a super computer ran by post-humans or an advanced alien civilization.  I mean think about it, just think about how Earth is SO "coincidentally" well-fit for life, and how we got here which was completely luck.

I'm a video game fan, and I play games constantly.  There's one quote that really makes me ponder.  It's this:  "Do you ever feel like you're not in charge of your own destiny, like...you're being controlled by an invisible hand?"

That makes me think... How do I know I'm not being controlled, and that all of this isn't some insane MMO played by advanced aliens who get entertainment out of all this, much like we get entertainment out of controlling a character in a game?

There could be a chance also that this is all one massive MMO, sure, it's far-fetched and sounds stupid, but I like thinking about it.  I mean how does my character in a particular game know he's controlled?  What if he thinks everything he does is on his free will, everything he says he just randomly thinks up, and when I log him off he's asleep or in a state of limbo?  I mean someone could be making me type this, but the program is making me believe I'm actually typing this on my free will.

Another fun question is that if our creators in the "physical world", are they REALLY in the real world?  Or yet another simulated reality?  Will we get to the point of running a simulated reality, a universe such as the Sims series, but much more evolved? Yes, actually, we will, very soon we will have computers fast enough to run such a program, and we will be able to see our own little worlds, evolving, growing, and perhaps living long enough to make their own simulated reality.  And then the process repeats.

Simulation-argument.com

How, exactly, does a person come up with a probability of "20%" for something that can't really be proven?

#36    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:47 PM

Aero 360 on Jun 19 2008, 08:06 AM, said:

Simulation-argument.com
If thats the case I would like to start over.

#37    saturnrings

saturnrings

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

Simulation-argument.com

oh rightio lets talk about the movie Matrix.......

#38    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

saturnriggs on Jul 24 2008, 04:27 PM, said:

I believe that the argument in your post is actually fair because i have expereinced lapses of time in my mind. when everything stops and looks like a hologram........ineresting feeling to go with it as well. it seems as if you look thru a glass but cannot locate your body. i might be sounds adventurous if i say that it feels as another type of astral projection?????????......hmm i leave it at it............... alien.gif

sounds like to me you got a tumor.LOL

#39    Fenzo

Fenzo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 135 posts

• Do you know Gods of Death love Apples?

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

I highly doubt it, even if you're right.. and we're being controlled by "alien likes"
Would they really let us think about the fact that we're being mind controlled? Would they even let us get close to their so called truth?

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
-Ernest Becker~

#40    John from Lowell

John from Lowell

Psychic Spy

• 1,770 posts

• Self Love Unlocks the Magic Inside

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

Fenzo on Sep 10 2008, 07:45 AM, said:

I highly doubt it, even if you're right.. and we're being controlled by "alien likes"
Would they really let us think about the fact that we're being mind controlled? Would they even let us get close to their so called truth?

What if the simulation was created by our highest-awareness so that our conscious awareness could focus on some energetic expression of interest to US.

What We Are Never Changes !!

Who We Are Is Always Changing !!!

#41    Fenzo

Fenzo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 135 posts

• Do you know Gods of Death love Apples?

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

John A Spera on Sep 10 2008, 05:12 PM, said:

What if the simulation was created by our highest-awareness so that our conscious awareness could focus on some energetic expression of interest to US.

That seems a little too far fetched to me tbh.
Besides.. we have a free will, good job controlling us..

The LHC Super Colider is said to bring an end to the world (by some)
Global warming, Nuclear wars etc.. they basically gave us the power to destroy their own simulated world?

Time for the GM's to interfere dontcha think wink2.gif

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
-Ernest Becker~

#42    Nessies 2nd Cousin

Nessies 2nd Cousin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

Would it have to be an MMO. Life could all be one large dream in which we all are some figment of an imagination. We only use a tiny proportion of our brain, so why could there not be a being with such brain power to imagine us all up.
We could say that our world has too much detail, but doesn't also our dreams, our fantasies, our plans?

The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.    
-Henri Bergson

A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things, but cannot receive great ones.    -Lord Chesterfield

We cannot see things that stare us in the face until the hour comes that the mind is ripened.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#43    pinkmonk98

pinkmonk98

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:31 PM

I actually had a simliar thought except i thought we were part of a long video... :] i guess we will never know.

And First POst!! Woot!

#44    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:46 PM

Scientists agree that there is a 20%

No a philosopher guessed that number. It is not scientific.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#45    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,001 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:58 PM

As I recall, 20% is a little on the low side. The original Simulation Argument makes very interesting reading.

"What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?" - Tiggs vs PA - Did Jesus Really exist? - The Formal Debate:
HERE
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users