Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What if our world was merely a simulation?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46    Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Poltergeist

• 2,337 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:20 PM

Tiggs on Sep 10 2008, 10:58 PM, said:

As I recall, 20% is a little on the low side. The original Simulation Argument makes very interesting reading.

Interesting, but not feasible IMO. It makes too many assumptions, which the framework of the whole concept depends on. Or maybe I'm just intimidated by the idea. original.gif

The world needs more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.

#47    EyeWonder

EyeWonder

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:41 AM

If our existance is a simulation, then that means the controllers out there somewhere are making us think about the possibility of being controlled by them (because they'd control our thoughts and actions), which simply wouldn't happen.
Even if we did discover that we were being controlled by something or someone bigger than ourselves, it wouldn't change anything as as long as we are here and human, we'd still be nothing more than a simulation unless we could find a way to change our form and leave earth, which still wouldn't be our decision anyway.

Think of me tonite
For that which you savor
Did it give you something real,
or could you taste the pain of my death in its flavor?

~Wayne K. Tolson, from "Food Forethought"

#48    Godsnmbr1

Godsnmbr1

The Bee's Knees

• 2,317 posts

• There's someone in my head
    but it's not me

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:35 AM

RedThunder on Sep 21 2008, 03:41 AM, said:

If our existance is a simulation, then that means the controllers out there somewhere are making us think about the possibility of being controlled by them (because they'd control our thoughts and actions), which simply wouldn't happen.
Even if we did discover that we were being controlled by something or someone bigger than ourselves, it wouldn't change anything as as long as we are here and human, we'd still be nothing more than a simulation unless we could find a way to change our form and leave earth, which still wouldn't be our decision anyway.

Ok but you're assuming that our "simulation" has to be controlled by something.  Why?  It's the environment that would be simulated, not consciousness.  

When you think about what we know of the world, it's actually more likely than not that we really are a simulation.  For example, think about what version of The Sims will be coming out in 2100.   A perfectly replicated, and completely virtual, 3d environment inhabited by sentient programs.  Unless told by someone outside the game, the "artificial" characters that exist in this game will be as assured of their reality as we are of ours.  Now assuming that AI really can be created by man (which I think is likely) then this is a guarantee.  An entire universe could be (and like I said most likely will be) created and run through on a single supercomputer.  What if the AI (us) in this artificial universe were to eventually create their own simulation of the universe?  It would be an endless cycle.  So now honestly, what are our chances of being in the first, and only "real", universe?  Not very good.  

In the god-game of our future we will quite literally be able to experience what it would be like to be God.  Or at least something a lot closer than what we've got now...

Remember, we are all just acting out a grand old game here, where we agree to forget who we really are, that in the remembering, that we may find each other again, and know that we are One. That All of Life, is One.

#49    newbloodmoon

newbloodmoon

cosmic wombat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

• "Only through absolute loyalty to each other can the few control the many." - Peter J. Carroll

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

Would this be a viable defense in a court of law?  I can see it now, some criminal with his hot shot lawyer standing before a judge and when asked if he is guilty or innocent the defendant replies...

"Well you're honor it's really not my fault that I ran over 36 nuns with a bus, set a puppy on fire, and beat up all those homeless people at the park.  You see at first I thought it was just bad upbringing or a defect in my families genes.  Nope, I am being controlled by some sort of slug like malcontent who has  found this particular simulated universe on his computing station and he is controlling my actions.  So am I free to go?"

and let the insanity plea bargaining begin.    devil.gif

A newcomer asked to be shown the way to the monastery, and Chao-chou replied:  "Have you finished eating your rice?... Then go wash your bowl!"  Therupon the monk gained instant enlightenment.

#50    Hocus

Hocus

Psychic Spy

• 1,786 posts

• "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

the whole universe could very well be a simulation. if it were, we may not be being controlled as such we may have ai and be allowed to decide things for ourselves and our minds set to a certain level so that we cant work out the real truth. alot of things in this life make sense for this theory such as time slips that people say they occur, that time slip or dimension travel could be a glitch in the system. not ment to happen but ocassionally does becasue just like every computer it can and does mess up from time to time, and the dimension travel that they experience and say they have seen futuristic citys filled with humanoids or aliens for example may just be other simulations running of one big computer and there all connected but when it messes up you may end up in another simulation forever or maybe temporarily. its impossible to say wether we are currently living on one an interesting thought none the less though.

"To consider the earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow"
-Methodorus.
Greek philosopher of the fourth century B.C.

#51    Keldario

Keldario

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

The entire universe is a simulation for our souls. Our higher selves.
We have many lives and plenty of continues to learn the rules.

We have had teachers come to earth to show us how to be better players, did you listen to the instructions?
If not, then you probably won't make it very far without help.

What kind of character are you? One that is in a group at the local Inn talking about possibly going on an adventure or one that is actually adventuring and learning the powers inside you? Remember, only when you reach a certain level can you use the powers.

Everyone starts out at level 1. Even if you die, you retain a certain amount of experience and your level in your next life.

There are many challenges, but if you don't play the game because you are afraid of failure, you won't see the beautiful new expansion areas.

Like in any MMORPG, you have to gain experience in order to unlock new abilities.

Are you gaining experience?

Or..

Are you just and NPC?

Just like MMORPG, we are all in this together and PK give not experience points.

Edited by Keldario, 03 October 2008 - 06:44 PM.

#52    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,569 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:20 PM

Whoever's 'playing' me needs some cheat codes so I can level up already.  sad.gif

Embrace the impossible.

#53    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,353 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

RedThunder on Sep 21 2008, 03:41 AM, said:

Ah. But what if we are just an Artificial intelligence experiment - a simulation run to generate AI lifeforms?

#54    mojacee

mojacee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

ok..I gotta stop thinking now before I blow my brains out (will it say GAME OVER or sumtin if I do that) unsure.gif

#55    newbloodmoon

newbloodmoon

cosmic wombat

• 1,883 posts

• "Only through absolute loyalty to each other can the few control the many." - Peter J. Carroll

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

Maybe Agent Smith was correct.  Humans are just a virus, so thus couldn't we be a computer virus (like a worm) that just continues to propagate and attack the simulations code.  That would explain the glitches in the program, it is something we ourselves were programmed to attack and destroy.

A newcomer asked to be shown the way to the monastery, and Chao-chou replied:  "Have you finished eating your rice?... Then go wash your bowl!"  Therupon the monk gained instant enlightenment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users