Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

God

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

Poll: Do u believe God/Jesus really existed? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Do u believe God/Jesus really existed?

1. Yes. (7 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. No. (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. I don't know. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#16    Diebytheflyguy

Diebytheflyguy

Poltergeist

• 3,185 posts

• It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:49 PM

Im new here and I am not trying to start some riots here... i dont know what any rules on religious topics but i dont see why people get angry.. state your opinion and vote on the poll; no one has to get upset here. Some people are uptight and anytime something "controversial" come up people always have to go crazy.(not being insulting)

Edited by Diebytheflyguy, 27 February 2004 - 09:52 PM.

#17    shirini

shirini

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (Diebytheflyguy @ Feb 27 2004, 07:59 PM)
I compare them to the mafia.

Dude, i'm sure ou just trying to give us your point of veiw.  But you gotta understand, campring poeple religon to the mafia, is gonna piss them off.  I sugget if you really wanna have a dicusstion on weather the bible is anccurate account or not, you do in diffrent manner. Or the Mods will shut down this thead.

#18    Diebytheflyguy

Diebytheflyguy

Poltergeist

• 3,185 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:55 PM

lol, ok i'll take the mafia part out but if you want a good debate someone has to spark some controversy. I dont believe in God, and you dont see me getting angry when people try to prove that God does exist. But if I say something about how he dosent exist or comment on the church, religous people get angry. Just because you do believe in some God it dosent give you the right to get mad and whoever dosent... And the funny thing is that the Church clergy people are pretty much ccrrupted right now. If they actually did believe in God and hell, then why would they start molesting little kids.

"The Diocese of Yakima, Wash., said in a news release yesterday that the survey compiled by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice found 4,392 of the 109,694 clergy who served over that five-decade period faced allegations of abuse.

The survey was overseen by the National Review Board, a lay watchdog panel the bishops formed at the height of the abuse crisis. Dioceses across the United States received 10,667 abuse claims since 1950, the news release said. Of those, claims by 6,700 were substantiated. Another 3,300 were not investigated because the accused clergymen were dead. Another 1,000 claims proved to be unsubstantiated, the diocese said."

---From the Toronto Star Newspaper.

Edited by Aslan, 27 February 2004 - 10:17 PM.

#19    stillcrazy

stillcrazy

Poltergeist

• 2,172 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:00 PM

(Diebytheflyguy @ Feb 27 2004, 07:59 PM)
I compare them to the mafia.

I agree with Shirini, Comparing anyones beliefs to a crimminal organization will inflame others.  

Each and every religion that I know of has it's good and bad side. There is always a group of people who will take any pure idea and bastardize it for power or other reasons. That's one of the reasons I don't believe in "Religion" I have my faith but not in a church or line of thinking of others. I have my faith in what I believe is true. If I'm wrong, so be it. I didn't cause harm to others because of my faith.

Edited by stillcrazy, 27 February 2004 - 10:04 PM.

#20    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Diebytheflyguy @ Feb 27 2004, 08:55 PM)
lol, ok i'll take the mafia part out but if you want a good debate someone has to spark some controversy. I dont believe in God, and you dont see me getting angry when people try to prove that God does exist. But if a say something about how he dosent exist or comment on the church, religios people get angry. Just because you do believe in some God it dosent give you the right to get mad and whoever dosent.

Thats because you act like a immature child attempting to irritate a parent who, regardless of how much you bother them will not change there opinions because they believe they are right.

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#21    DreamRebel

DreamRebel

Psychic Spy

• 1,038 posts

• Knowledge is the weapon of choice. Those who possess it shall prevail.

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:07 PM

[Edit] Post removed

#22    Jasu

Jasu

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

• "It was so great, that I am going to have to make up a word to describe it. It was scrumptrilescent."
    - Will Ferrell

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:07 PM

I voted that they do exist. I could be wrong here, but I think I saw something on the Discovery Channel where they proved the existence of Jesus. And stories from the Old Testament, such as Noah's Ark, shouldn't be taken literally, but should be viewed as guidelines for leading a good life.

For the last time, no means yes.

Sometimes I think I've gone too far. Then I turn on the T.V.

Some people say that the glass is half empty. Some people say that the glass is half full. I say that the glass is twice as big as it is supposed to be.

I got this awesome tickets, and all it cost me was 20% of my brain function. Life is greaawwwaaaaa........aaaaaaa. - Homer

#23    shirini

shirini

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:08 PM

the OT is very inersteading.  You can really see the how diffrent Ot  is then to the other religons around at the time. Most had very fantasic battles and scence in how there the world, and other stuff was created, but in the OT, there is just the will of god.  

You also have to remmber, that the OT is not giving all of nw info, it just re-telling almost all of the culture myths in a new way.    NT, is giving a account of a profit (before you all jump on just kepp reading), all other books of faith also give an re-account of their profits life, teaches, mirclaes, etc.  the NT gives almost idticial account of how the world will end, massive battle bad and good.

One more thing, the bible was translated...i know about you, but i don't truth translations.  

#24    Diebytheflyguy

Diebytheflyguy

Poltergeist

• 3,185 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:08 PM

Thats because you act like a immature child attempting to irritate a parent who, regardless of how much you bother them will not change there opinions because they believe they are right.

Thats what I mean by people going crazy...

Edited by Diebytheflyguy, 27 February 2004 - 10:10 PM.

#25    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:09 PM

Do I believe in god?  Well.. I believe in many gods...  Do I wirship the judio/christian/muslim god? No.  

Do I believe in Jesus?  I believe he could have existed.  However as the prophetic "son of god", no..  I think of him as I would Gandi... A man who wanted to bring a bit of peace into the world.

Who knows... Maybe Gandi was Jesus in a reincarnated pastlife way...

Then again, I believe gods, any god, were creations of the human imagination, only beings as strong as however many believe and worship in them.  Humans tend to *need* some kind of explination for something.  And gods were/are the easiest answer for alot of them.

*edit* Hello..My name is Freudian, Freudian Slip.

Edited by SilverCougar, 27 February 2004 - 10:12 PM.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#26    Diebytheflyguy

Diebytheflyguy

Poltergeist

• 3,185 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:12 PM

I voted that they do exist. I could be wrong here, but I think I saw something on the Discovery Channel where they proved the existence of Jesus. And stories from the Old Testament, such as Noah's Ark, shouldn't be taken literally, but should be viewed as guidelines for leading a good life.

Yes i saw part of that to... There is no proof Jesus existed. That show was the search for Noahs Ark and not Jesus. They believe they found the ark because of boat wreckage near a mountain. They are assuming this is the Ark but they have also said that it could be a Viking ship

#27    DreamRebel

DreamRebel

Psychic Spy

• 1,038 posts

• Knowledge is the weapon of choice. Those who possess it shall prevail.

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:13 PM

[Edit] Post removed

Edited by DreamRebel, 27 February 2004 - 10:18 PM.

#28    Jasu

Jasu

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

• "It was so great, that I am going to have to make up a word to describe it. It was scrumptrilescent."
    - Will Ferrell

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Diebytheflyguy @ Feb 27 2004, 09:12 PM)
Yes i saw part of that to... There is no proof Jesus existed. That show was the search for Noahs Ark and not Jesus. They believe they found the ark because of boat wreckage near a mountain. They are assuming this is the Ark but they have also said that it could be a Viking ship

No, it wasn't that one. The show also had something about a dagger that supposedly stabbed Jesus.

For the last time, no means yes.

Sometimes I think I've gone too far. Then I turn on the T.V.

Some people say that the glass is half empty. Some people say that the glass is half full. I say that the glass is twice as big as it is supposed to be.

I got this awesome tickets, and all it cost me was 20% of my brain function. Life is greaawwwaaaaa........aaaaaaa. - Homer

#29    Diebytheflyguy

Diebytheflyguy

Poltergeist

• 3,185 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:27 PM

Ok but i dont know if they would make two different episodes on the same topic but...

#30    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (Diebytheflyguy @ Feb 27 2004, 09:12 PM)

A viking's ship? On a mountain.

That has to be a pretty old viking's ship....

Not saying I think it is the Ark.. but, the viking's ship seems kinda just as far fetched.  

What I found rather intresting was, through all the stories and legends I've read, most being Native American, both North and South... that many old old..ok anceint.. areas have some kind of "flood" story.

Now, weither or not these are accual old old anceint stories, or influenced by the Spainards that started to try and convert the natives...  Hard to say since it's a common theme straight up to the NW coast...

In the NW, it was Raven that helped humans survive the flood... in the SW, Coyote...

South America it was one of their many gods.

Point of this?  How can Noah and everything in his ark be the only survivors, if there are many many tales of the same base, ei: huge flood that covered the whole world?

*edit* This should be in the Crypto: Have you seen and been attacked by the Typo Goblin?

Edited by SilverCougar, 27 February 2004 - 10:34 PM.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users