Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Wesley Clark assails McCain's credentials

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:25 AM

WASHINGTON: With Senator Barack Obama planning to visit the Middle East and Europe in an apparent effort to burnish his foreign policy credentials, the credentials of his likely presidential rival, Senator John McCain, came under sharp attack Sunday from a man considered a possible Democratic vice presidential candidate.

The retired general Wesley Clark said McCain had not "held executive responsibility" and had not commanded troops in wartime.

McCain's experience in Vietnam, where he was a prisoner of war for five years, has seemed at times almost to grant him invulnerability to criticism of his security background. But on Sunday he was assailed by a fellow military man, a highly decorated one who was once the NATO supreme  commander.

McCain frequently points out that he led "the largest squadron in the U.S. Navy," but Clark said on CBS television that that was not enough to support a claim to the presidency.

Link

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#2    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:05 AM

It would be a great move on Obama's behalf to pick Clark. If anybody could have gotten away with that speech it would be him. Though why didn't he critize Obama for his lack of military service? McCain has that much on Obama in this little spat.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#3    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,279 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:09 AM

I've said before, he crashed into his carrier and almost destroyed it as well as being shot down and taken prisoner 40-50 YEARS ago. (back when they fought with bear skins and stone knives) Those are the highlights.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#4    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,279 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:11 AM

__Kratos__ on Jun 29 2008, 11:05 PM, said:

for his lack of military service

is not a prerequisite for being president. Not even being AWOL from duty as the current one was.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#5    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:17 AM

ninjadude on Jun 29 2008, 11:11 PM, said:

is not a prerequisite for being president. Not even being AWOL from duty as the current one was.

No, it isn't... But it helps. Everybody knows that at least. The '04 elections John Kerry brought up his military service a fair bit as I recall.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#6    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:41 PM

__Kratos__ on Jun 30 2008, 12:05 AM, said:

Though why didn't he critize Obama for his lack of military service?

Because Clark has endorsed Obama, and is also probably wanting to stay on the short list for VP

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#7    Aztec Warrior

Aztec Warrior

Ancient Order of Hibernians Grand Master

• 3,339 posts

• A neoconservative is a "liberal mugged by reality," one who became more conservative after seeing the results of liberal policies.Iriving Kristol

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

ninjadude on Jun 29 2008, 11:09 PM, said:

I've said before, he crashed into his carrier and almost destroyed it as well as being shot down and taken prisoner 40-50 YEARS ago. (back when they fought with bear skins and stone knives) Those are the highlights.

Jeese, talk about misinformation or ignorance.  Who ever told you McCain crashed his plane and almost destroyed the carrier?

McCain did NOT crash his plane as he was preparing to take-off at the time. If you bothered to do just a LITTLE research about the 1967 Forrestal fire you would have known that an electrical discharge led to the explosion of a zuni rocket. That rocket struck McCain's plane and exploded the fuel tank.

Posted ImageBlurring and Stirring the truth and the lies

So I don't know what's real and what's not
Always confusing the thoughts in my head
So I can't trust myself anymore
I'm dying again

#8    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:09 PM

Didn't McCain "wet start", causing the problems?

#9    Aztec Warrior

Aztec Warrior

• 3,339 posts

• A neoconservative is a "liberal mugged by reality," one who became more conservative after seeing the results of liberal policies.Iriving Kristol

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:26 PM

Celumnaz on Jun 30 2008, 10:09 AM, said:

Didn't McCain "wet start", causing the problems?

About 10:50 (local time) on the 29th, while preparations for a second strike were being made near [show location on an interactive map] 199′5″N, 10723′5″E,[3] an unguided 5-inch Mk-32 "Zuni" rocket, one of four contained in a LAU-10 underwing rocket pod mounted on a F-4 Phantom II, was accidentally fired due to an electrical power surge during the switch from external power to internal power.

The rocket flew across the flight deck, striking a wing-mounted external fuel tank on a A-4 Skyhawk awaiting launch[3], either aircraft No. 405, piloted by LCDR Fred D. White[1], or No. 416, piloted by future U.S. Senator and Presidential candidate, LCDR John McCain,[4]. The warhead's safety mechanism prevented it from detonating, but the impact tore the tank off the wing and ignited the resulting spray of escaping JP-5 fuel, causing an instantaneous conflagration. Other external fuel tanks overheated and ruptured, releasing more jet fuel to feed the flames which spread along the flight deck, leaving pilots in their aircraft with the options of being incinerated in their cockpits or running through the flames to escape. link

I'm dying again

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,779 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:28 PM

And before somebody comes with rumor #2: It is not true that Sen. John McCain crashed 5 aircraft before getting his wings...that was his father.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#11    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnmccai...lost_five_u.htm

Says McCain lost 5, but not before getting his wings.  And the "wet start" still seems probable to me.

#12    Aztec Warrior

Aztec Warrior

• 3,339 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

questionmark on Jun 30 2008, 10:28 AM, said:

And before somebody comes with rumor #2: It is not true that Sen. John McCain crashed 5 aircraft before getting his wings...that was his father.

That's not true. While he has lost 5 aircraft, they were not lost before he got his wings. One was lost when he was shot down and captured and another on the flight deck of the Forrestal. I believe he only lost one during his training period.

I'm dying again

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,779 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:08 PM

Aztec Warrior on Jun 30 2008, 07:07 PM, said:

That's not true. While he has lost 5 aircraft, they were not lost before he got his wings. One was lost when he was shot down and captured and another on the flight deck of the Forrestal. I believe he only lost one during his training period.

you actually read my post?

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#14    Aztec Warrior

Aztec Warrior

• 3,339 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:12 PM

questionmark on Jun 30 2008, 11:08 AM, said:

you actually read my post?

Sure, why not. Your posts are usually interesting and direct. If you were referring to McCain's father, he was a sub commander and a Navy Admiral.

Edited by Aztec Warrior, 30 June 2008 - 04:16 PM.

I'm dying again

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,779 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:17 PM

Aztec Warrior on Jun 30 2008, 07:12 PM, said:

Sure, why not. Your posts are usually interesting and direct.

The father, John McCain II was who....(and the rest of my post)

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users