Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama wades into controversy with Iraq

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:23 AM

FARGO, North Dakota (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama waded into controversy on Thursday over his plans to withdraw U.S. combat troops from Iraq, first saying he might "refine" his views but later declaring his stance had remained unchanged for more than a year.

Obama was forced to call reporters back for a second news conference in Fargo, North Dakota, after he initially left open the possibility of revising his 16-month timetable for pulling U.S. combat forces from Iraq.

"Let me be as clear as I can be. I intend to end this war. My first day in office I will bring the joint chiefs of staff in and I will give them a new mission and that is to end this war," Obama told reporters in his second news conference.

But he added: "I would be a poor commander in chief if I didn't take facts on the ground into account."

At an earlier news conference, the Illinois senator had said he could "refine" his stance after he visits Iraq.

Obama, an early opponent of the war who made his stance a centerpiece of his Democratic presidential campaign, said he would not support a long-term U.S. presence in Iraq but wanted to ensure any troop withdrawal was orderly and safe.

"I've always said I would listen to commanders on the ground. I've always said the pace of withdrawal would be dictated by the safety and security of our troops and the need to maintain stability," he told reporters on arrival in North Dakota.

"That assessment has not changed, and when I have a chance to meet with some of the commanders on the ground I'm sure I'll have more information and will continue to refine my policies."

After heavy criticism from his Republican presidential opponent John McCain, Obama said he would visit Iraq and Afghanistan later this summer. It will be his second visit to Iraq.

More of the article here: Link

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems he will keep the war going despite his promises.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#2    Ravyns_void

Ravyns_void

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

• Welcome to the mental Health Hotline. If you're schizophrenic, listen closely and a little voice will tell you what number to push.

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:30 AM

Bring My friends Home! I'm still not 100% sure why we went in the first place. I agree that we should finish what we started, but haven't we done that already?

________________________________________________________________________________
"Remember....if you stand in front of a mirror in a dark room and spin around chanting my name......you'll look really really stupid.
~Quothe the Ravyn "Forevermore"

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:26 PM

Well, I don't see the controversy... except at Fox and friends.....

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

questionmark on Jul 4 2008, 08:26 AM, said:

Well, I don't see the controversy... except at Fox and friends.....

"Reuters"

He states on his site that he's was going to remove troops right away once he got elected. Now he's saying different once again. Kind of like his recent abortion comments.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

__Kratos__ on Jul 4 2008, 06:11 PM, said:

"Reuters"

He states on his site that he's was going to remove troops right away once he got elected. Now he's saying different once again. Kind of like his recent abortion comments.

No, he said he'd make a more educated decision, which does not imply a non-removal of the troops.

People who act first and think later have been running the Administration for eight years now, it is time for somebody who acts after thinking.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:27 PM

questionmark on Jul 4 2008, 10:18 AM, said:

No, he said he'd make a more educated decision, which does not imply a non-removal of the troops.

People who act first and think later have been running the Administration for eight years now, it is time for somebody who acts after thinking.

It would imply that things are far more complicated in Iraq to be able to just start withdrawing troops right away as he promised to his supporters and the American people so he'd be forced, as any president would be, to keep troops there longer then his current promise.

So he was just spouting off on Iraq before without an educated opinion if he needs the ground facts yet? Would seem so.

Senator Obama: When will you finally visit Iraq?
-VFF, SPC Kate Norley, Combat Medic

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

__Kratos__ on Jul 4 2008, 06:27 PM, said:

It would imply that things are far more complicated in Iraq to be able to just start withdrawing troops right away as he promised to his supporters and the American people so he'd be forced, as any president would be, to keep troops there longer then his current promise.

So he was just spouting off on Iraq before without an educated opinion if he needs the ground facts yet? Would seem so.

Senator Obama: When will you finally visit Iraq?
-VFF, SPC Kate Norley, Combat Medic

I have no doubt he will remove the troops from Iraq, the question is whether it is a safe retreat or a Saigon type affair (Republican style).

about me

#8    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:35 PM

questionmark on Jul 4 2008, 10:29 AM, said:

I have no doubt he will remove the troops from Iraq, the question is whether it is a safe retreat or a Saigon type affair (Republican style).

Well that's the goal for everybody and to leave a few troops behind as a presence.

#9    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

__Kratos__ on Jul 4 2008, 02:23 AM, said:

"Let me be as clear as I can be. I intend to end this war. My first day in office I will bring the joint chiefs of staff in and I will give them a new mission and that is to end this war," Obama told reporters in his second news conference.

A new mission??? If I am the Joint Chief od Staff I'll say to Obama, it's been the mission sir to end this war.
Sir, do you want to end it with the goal attained or just end it by pulling out gradually?

#10    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:03 PM

__Kratos__ on Jul 4 2008, 02:23 AM, said:

"I've always said I would listen to commanders on the ground. I've always said the pace of withdrawal would be dictated by the safety and security of our troops and the need to maintain stability," he told reporters on arrival in North Dakota.

Make it clear Mr. Obama, what do you mean maintain stability? Iraq's stability?

#11    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,971 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:35 PM

__Kratos__ on Jul 4 2008, 10:35 AM, said:

Well that's the goal for everybody and to leave a few troops behind as a presence.

Everyone EXCEPT McCain. And he only says that but then says we'll be there forever with a very large amount of troops. He wants more not less.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#12    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:28 AM

ninjadude on Jul 4 2008, 08:35 PM, said:

Everyone EXCEPT McCain. And he only says that but then says we'll be there forever with a very large amount of troops. He wants more not less.

really? is that what he said?

I could have sworn he was discussing a peace time presence that would be relying on what the Iraqis want...

#13    Atheist God

Atheist God

Alien Abducter

• 5,438 posts

• At war with the evil Drug Enforcement Agency for over a decade!

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

bathory on Jul 5 2008, 01:28 AM, said:

really? is that what he said?

I could have sworn he was discussing a peace time presence that would be relying on what the Iraqis want...

What if a majority of the Iraqi's want foreign forces to leave? Then should this not happen? This is the case and yet this request is ignored by people who weren't supposed to be there in the first place.

Posted Image

A site I write my own articles. sw-gm check em out.

#14    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:13 AM

questionmark on Jul 4 2008, 11:18 AM, said:

I think you're mistaken questionmark. I don't ever recall the current administration thinking even after they act.

I don't see what the big deal is, and I think the republicans are grasping at straws here.

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama waded into controversy on Thursday over his plans to withdraw U.S. combat troops from Iraq, first saying he might "refine" his views but later declaring his stance had remained unchanged for more than a year.

Obama was forced to call reporters back for a second news conference in Fargo, North Dakota, after he initially left open the possibility of revising his 16-month timetable for pulling U.S. combat forces from Iraq.

At an earlier news conference, the Illinois senator had said he could "refine" his stance after he visits Iraq.

How is revising, or possibly revising, the end game in Iraq, after he visits Iraq, a bad thing? How is revising, or possibly revising, the end game strategy in Iraq based on facts on the ground a reversal?

I strongly support Obama's plan to give the joint chiefs of staff a new mission to end this war, and I strongly support him revising-or possibly revising-the strategy based on facts on the ground.

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#15    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:01 AM

Atheist God on Jul 5 2008, 07:44 AM, said:

What if a majority of the Iraqi's want foreign forces to leave? Then should this not happen? This is the case and yet this request is ignored by people who weren't supposed to be there in the first place.

What request? When are we suppose to be out?

Edited by AROCES, 05 July 2008 - 09:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users