Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gonzaga University Music (Monaghan) Building

KimbellCampbell

I just read another's depiction of Gonzaga University's haunted Music Building. I worked there in the early 70's as the Executive Secretary for the Executive Director of Gonzaga University's School of Music. The Executive Director's name was Dr. Daniel Brenner. The Music Building was a huge old mansion with a ballroom on the third floor. That is where the choir rehearsed. Early in the year there was a robbery on the third floor and many musical instruments were stolen. After that, arrangements were made to regularly patrol the Music Building to try to prevent such further occurrences. Both Dr. Brenner and Fr. Leedale (staff at Gonzaga University) were with the patrol in the ballroom one evening when they reportedly ran into something invisible, cold and soft like a marshmallow, which prevented them from continuing further. They were shaken by the experience.

I celebrated my birthday in October and staff gave me balloons. When the air was about gone I threw the balloons in my garbage can. One weeked I was working there in the house by myself and I noticed that a blue balloon and a white balloon were laying on the floor next to my garbage can. I thought they had fallen out of the can when the house keeper took out the trash. After awhile I got up from my desk and walked through the kitchen to the bathroom in the back of the house. When I came back out of the bathroom and walked back through the kitchen I saw one of the balloons hanging from the middle of the door ledge and the other balloon on the floor under the ledge. I went home immediately and never was alone in the building again.

At Thanksgiving the house keeper and I were there one evening sewing curtains for the Executive Director's Office when the lights all of a sudden went out in the room we were working in. We just got up and went home. I later was told that the switch in the electrical box was jammed and that they had to pry it back. The switch that was jammed, however, was not the one that turned the lights off in the room we were working in.

It was also reported that people from the outside would see something quickly flying past all the windows, first, second, third floor, it didn't matter.

The administration had made arrangements for someone to sleep in the house to help keep an eye on things. I think it was that person who climbed into a hole in the dirt wall in the basement and found a picture and a spitoon with a Prince Albert tobacco can in the spitoon. It was around Valentine's Day and when I came to work and saw the Prince Albert tobacco can I asked if I could have it. They quickly gave it to me and then showed me the picture. It was the picture of a turn of the century grave site. There was a coffin with a lot of flowers on top and in amongst the flowers was nestled the picture of a young man. There was a tent set up around the coffin and grave site and from the top of the tent hung two upside down crosses, one black and one white. They said it was a picture Lieutenant Monaghan who was killed in ambush during the Spanish American War. The talk in the office was that upside down crosses could mean either killed in ambush or devil worshipping. The house keeper told me later they had tried to burn the picture, but it wouldn't burn. She said they buried it.

Anyway, I was on my way home that day with the Prince Albert tobacco can and I started thinking I would put Frango Mints in the can for my boyfriend's Valentine's Day present and then I began to worry that "the spirit" might enter the Frangos and my boyfriend would turn into the spirit, and I was beginning to freak myself out. I was glad to find my roommate was home when I got there and I told her all about what had just happened. She told me to take that Pince Albert tobacco can right back outside and put it in the milk box on the front porch and that I was to take the Pince Albert tobacco can back to the Music Building the next day and leave it there. So I put the Prince Albert tobacco can in the milk box. The next morning I woke to find my roommate and the two renters who lived upstairs all standing there staring at me. They told me that during the night the wind had come up from the North and blown open all the windows on the North side of our house. They told me to get up and take that milk can back to the Music Building - which I did.

There was also a rumor that a Gonzaga student had killed himself in the Music Building, but I don't know any particulars about this.

I did everything I could to stay detached from any evil spirits which could have been there. Every time I went into the building I would say "If in truth you do exist, I want no part of you." The things that happened to me were rather on the playful side; with the balloons and also the lights going off. But others who worked there really seemed to be consumed by the hauntings. People reported often hearing the organ; some heard a flute playing; some heard a growling noise in the basement; the person who lived there thought he was being invited to hang himself on the light cord in his room; the house keeper felt uncommonly sad.

I don't know if this had anything to do with the Music Building but, one time when I was leaving work I had just gotten to the sidewalk when I saw two of the biggest dogs I have ever seen coming quickly at me. I think they were Russian or Irish Wolf Hounds. They seemed menacing and I walked out into the street and just started screaming and quickly going around in circles (like a washing machine agitator) with my purse extended. After awhile they went away and I went home.

Also, one day, in the Spring, I went to Mass. On the way to Mass it rained on me, it hailed on me, it snowed on me and the wind blew so hard I could barely move forward. When I came out of Mass the sun was shining and the birds were singing and it was a beautiful day!

Dr. Brenner and Fr. Leedale were the ones who performed the exorcism. They did not have the permission of the Bishops so they were on their own. They both told me that during the exorcism prayers they were saying their candles kept blowing out and the crucifixes they were wearing around their necks kept turning the body of Christ into them - it did not stay facing out.

I know that a documentary about the house was done because I saw them bringing in the cameras. I think they told me the documentary was made by the National Observer.

Edited by KimbellCampbell

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aanica

• KimbellCampbell

• zagrat

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read another's depiction of Gonzaga University's haunted Music Building. I worked there in the early 70's as the Executive Secretary for the Executive Director of Gonzaga University's School of Music. The Executive Director's name was Dr. Daniel Brenner. The Music Building was a huge old mansion with a ballroom on the third floor. That is where the choir rehearsed. Early in the year there was a robbery on the third floor and many musical instruments were stolen. After that, arrangements were made to regularly patrol the Music Building to try to prevent such further occurrences. Both Dr. Brenner and Fr. Leedale (staff at Gonzaga University) were with the patrol in the ballroom one evening when they reportedly ran into something invisible, cold and soft like a marshmallow, which prevented them from continuing further. They were shaken by the experience.

I celebrated my birthday in October and staff gave me balloons. When the air was about gone I threw the balloons in my garbage can. One weeked I was working there in the house by myself and I noticed that a blue balloon and a white balloon were laying on the floor next to my garbage can. I thought they had fallen out of the can when the house keeper took out the trash. After awhile I got up from my desk and walked through the kitchen to the bathroom in the back of the house. When I came back out of the bathroom and walked back through the kitchen I saw one of the balloons hanging from the middle of the door ledge and the other balloon on the floor under the ledge. I went home immediately and never was alone in the building again.

At Thanksgiving the house keeper and I were there one evening sewing curtains for the Executive Director's Office when the lights all of a sudden went out in the room we were working in. We just got up and went home. I later was told that the switch in the electrical box was jammed and that they had to pry it back. The switch that was jammed, however, was not the one that turned the lights off in the room we were working in.

It was also reported that people from the outside would see something quickly flying past all the windows, first, second, third floor, it didn't matter.

The administration had made arrangements for someone to sleep in the house to help keep an eye on things. I think it was that person who climbed into a hole in the dirt wall in the basement and found a picture and a spitoon with a Prince Albert tobacco can in the spitoon. It was around Valentine's Day and when I came to work and saw the Prince Albert tobacco can I asked if I could have it. They quickly gave it to me and then showed me the picture. It was the picture of a turn of the century grave site. There was a coffin with a lot of flowers on top and in amongst the flowers was nestled the picture of a young man. There was a tent set up around the coffin and grave site and from the top of the tent hung two upside down crosses, one black and one white. They said it was a picture Lieutenant Monaghan who was killed in ambush during the Spanish American War. The talk in the office was that upside down crosses could mean either killed in ambush or devil worshipping. The house keeper told me later they had tried to burn the picture, but it wouldn't burn. She said they buried it.

Anyway, I was on my way home that day with the Prince Albert tobacco can and I started thinking I would put Frango Mints in the can for my boyfriend's Valentine's Day present and then I began to worry that "the spirit" might enter the Frangos and my boyfriend would turn into the spirit, and I was beginning to freak myself out. I was glad to find my roommate was home when I got there and I told her all about what had just happened. She told me to take that Pince Albert tobacco can right back outside and put it in the milk box on the front porch and that I was to take the Pince Albert tobacco can back to the Music Building the next day and leave it there. So I put the Prince Albert tobacco can in the milk box. The next morning I woke to find my roommate and the two renters who lived upstairs all standing there staring at me. They told me that during the night the wind had come up from the North and blown open all the windows on the North side of our house. They told me to get up and take that milk can back to the Music Building - which I did.

There was also a rumor that a Gonzaga student had killed himself in the Music Building, but I don't know any particulars about this.

I did everything I could to stay detached from any evil spirits which could have been there. Every time I went into the building I would say "If in truth you do exist, I want no part of you." The things that happened to me were rather on the playful side; with the balloons and also the lights going off. But others who worked there really seemed to be consumed by the hauntings. People reported often hearing the organ; some heard a flute playing; some heard a growling noise in the basement; the person who lived there thought he was being invited to hang himself on the light cord in his room; the house keeper felt uncommonly sad.

I don't know if this had anything to do with the Music Building but, one time when I was leaving work I had just gotten to the sidewalk when I saw two of the biggest dogs I have ever seen coming quickly at me. I think they were Russian or Irish Wolf Hounds. They seemed menacing and I walked out into the street and just started screaming and quickly going around in circles (like a washing machine agitator) with my purse extended. After awhile they went away and I went home.

Also, one day, in the Spring, I went to Mass. On the way to Mass it rained on me, it hailed on me, it snowed on me and the wind blew so hard I could barely move forward. When I came out of Mass the sun was shining and the birds were singing and it was a beautiful day!

Dr. Brenner and Fr. Leedale were the ones who performed the exorcism. They did not have the permission of the Bishops so they were on their own. They both told me that during the exorcism prayers they were saying their candles kept blowing out and the crucifixes they were wearing around their necks kept turning the body of Christ into them - it did not stay facing out.

I know that a documentary about the house was done because I saw them bringing in the cameras. I think they told me the documentary was made by the National Observer.

Thank you so much for taking time to write that, I believe you did the right thing taking the tin back to the music hall, I cant imagine knowing all that and working there. I would have been very cautious as you said and kept clear .

• 3 years later...

<!--quoteo(post=2384578:date=Jul 9 2008, 01:51 AM:name=KimbellCampbell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KimbellCampbell @ Jul 9 2008, 01:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2384578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just read another's depiction of Gonzaga University's haunted Music Building. I worked there in the early 70's as the Executive Secretary for the Executive Director of Gonzaga University's School of Music. The Executive Director's name was Dr. Daniel Brenner. The Music Building was a huge old mansion with a ballroom on the third floor. That is where the choir rehearsed. Early in the year there was a robbery on the third floor and many musical instruments were stolen. After that, arrangements were made to regularly patrol the Music Building to try to prevent such further occurrences. Both Dr. Brenner and Fr. Leedale (staff at Gonzaga University) were with the patrol in the ballroom one evening when they reportedly ran into something invisible, cold and soft like a marshmallow, which prevented them from continuing further. They were shaken by the experience.

I know that a documentary about the house was done because I saw them bringing in the cameras. I think they told me the documentary was made by the National Observer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Thank you so much for taking time to write that, I believe you did the right thing taking the tin back to the music hall, I cant imagine knowing all that and working there. I would have been very cautious as you said and kept clear .