Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

boundary between animals and us

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#76    JLA369

JLA369

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 179 posts

• I am beavis!Before me you will bow!

Posted 20 March 2004 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (Spartan @ Mar 3 2004, 04:54 PM)
Hahahaha you idiot,fist "toy"means to play with But we dont becouse you say we cant play with ferosious beast(sorry about spelling)
2nd i said Love,that means i ment that animals are smart,only the smart can love.
3rd man-in-mudboots is right to play,watch and eat
and dam i love beef and pork chops thumbsup.gif
and yes im not that clear in what i wanted to say so 1 point to you hahah tongue.gif
take care agent muldor hehe
thanx man-in-mudboots

LOL! laugh.gif No kidding, man_in_mudboots!

Posted Image

Beavis and Butthead

Things that rock
-------------------------
AC/DC
Sevendust
Metallica
Korn
Black Sabbath
JLA369 says to rock on!

#77    Druidus

Druidus

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

• "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
    - Einstein

Posted 21 March 2004 - 04:08 AM

I don't think modern man has been around for "millions of years"...closer to few tens of thousands 

Actually I think modern man has been around (estimated through carbon-dating) 3.4 million years.

~~~Official Giver of Fishysticks~~~

"Anarchy is not chaos, but order without control."  

"Eudaemonia is not merely anarchy, but life without need."

"The most damaging phrase in the language is: "It's always been done that way."

My Psionics forum -  http://s7.invisionfr...dex.php?act=idx

#78    Diebytheflyguy

Diebytheflyguy

Poltergeist

• 3,185 posts

• It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Posted 25 March 2004 - 01:58 AM

I posted this in the If evolution is true, why are we the only thread by mistake. In that thread I BASICALLY stated that revenge is only achieved wanted by humans.

I believe this because as humans we tend to get jealous, get angry and hold "emotional baggage." When something is done to us, our first reaction is anger, then followed by revenge. Although most do not exact revenge on a person, some people do.
--- An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth
     --- Based on the code of Hammaurabi.

Because of my THOUGHT I can only think that a possible boundary between humans and animals is revenge.  

#79    Azael

Azael

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 129 posts

• Media Vita in Morte Sumus

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:13 PM

Humans are not much more than animals with egos.
Let's take Dennis Leary's song about environmentalists.

"I am a human! A goddamn human being! I can wipe my ass!"

So can a dog.

"I'm a human! A goddamn human being! I can pay for sex!"

So can penguins.

Humanity seems to have this complex about being God's special little creature that stands out and is king of the hill.
Well, fact is, humans are a very dominant species.  We're just better than other species. We're incredibly intelligent, and we're pretty decent in terms of physical strength.
But this does not make us any less animal than the beasts themselves.

It seems just about everything a human can do so too can an animal.
Tools? An easy task. Even crows can build primitive tools.
Language? A laugh. Dolphins have their own.
Writing? Useless. It's far easier to use scents.
Emotion? No surprise. Animals have have all of them too.

Animals have bullies. Animals have peer pressure. Animals feel and experience pretty much everything humans do. Even crime is reflective in animals.
I believe pedophilia is not a mental disease, but rather a natural occurance as it occurs in animals as well. Rape, incest, homosexuality, cannibalism, murder - all these taboos of our society are just as common in animals.

So what sets humans apart from animals?
Destruction.

We're the only beasts that destroy for the mere pleasure of it.

This pleasure of destruction, however, probably stems from our animal instincts once again. While you can take the man out of a situation where he is a like a beast (IE - Putting him into civilized society where he does not act like a wild dog), you cannot take the beast out of the man.  The thrill of the kill still lingers in his heart.

With that in mind, one can even dismiss our destructiveness as a result of our animalism.

So what makes humans so special?
Nothing. Jack. Nada. Zilch.
We're just the planet's dominant species.

Here is where it gets murky.

We have two paths. We can continue on one route, which is athiestic, and say we're not different at all and that'll be the end of it.

The other route leads to God. By a religious standpoint, what makes us special is that we were created in the image of God (Which means either A: The Christian God looks like us and we were modelled off him or B: The Christian God looks nothing like us and "in the image of God" really means "according to the image of God".) and that he gaves us dominion over the animals.

A further note about the notion of God: Athiests claim that God does not exist because science proves he does not exist.  One can just as easily say that science exists because God exists. One can just as easily say that all the rules of science and the universe are just boundaries set by God to give humans the choice to believe or disbelieve in Him (This theory that all science stems from God's will explains why the supernatural not only bend the rules of science but straight out shatter them)

#80    Kaj

Kaj

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (Azael @ Mar 25 2004, 06:13 PM)

Humanity seems to have this complex about being God's special little creature that stands out and is king of the hill.

Well said original.gif

We are just farts in space and time.

Be nice !

#81    Druidus

Druidus

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

• "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
    - Einstein

Posted 03 April 2004 - 02:17 AM

Indeed.  But there is not only two paths.  Several religions believe that we are equal to all other animals.  We don't need too forsake religion for any reason.  I follow one such religion.  Of course many christians also believe that all creatures are equal, which is vexxing, however, because the bible clearly says that God gave humans dominion over animals, and apparently the bible is never wrong.

#82    The Proposer

The Proposer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 04:49 PM

All living entities possess a soul,the human form of life is meant for god realisation ,do a search under AS IT IS,The Bhagavad Gita

#83    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 03 April 2004 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Druidus @ Apr 3 2004, 03:17 AM)
Indeed.  But there is not only two paths.  Several religions believe that we are equal to all other animals.  We don't need too forsake religion for any reason.  I follow one such religion.  Of course many christians also believe that all creatures are equal, which is vexxing, however, because the bible clearly says that God gave humans dominion over animals, and apparently the bible is never wrong.

Do we not appear to have dominion over them? I dont see and dogs herding us up like cattle for slaughter well enough posting on this message board, man ALWAYS has to be in control, its not because God wanted us to or anything like that at all... its because its instinctive, give me a animal that does not fight for food,territory and mates? we do the exact same thing' were just really good at it.

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#84    Druidus

Druidus

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

- Einstein

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:45 PM

Yes, clearly you are right about humans being the most dominant species on Earth at the moment, but what the bible means, as I learned during my confirmation (I fought so hard to make them believe that all animals have souls, didn't work though), It means that we are worth more, more important then other animals, which I could never believe.  One of the main reasons I left the Christian faith.  Why do we have to always believe we are better than others?  It begins in the schoolyard, with bullies and such thinking they're better then the other kids.  Or maybe even earlier, with sibling rivalry.  To be so early and not to be taught by parents, it must be genetic.  I only hope we can overcome our genes before we destroy Earth.

#85    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 03 April 2004 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Druidus @ Apr 3 2004, 09:45 PM)
Yes, clearly you are right about humans being the most dominant species on Earth at the moment, but what the bible means, as I learned during my confirmation (I fought so hard to make them believe that all animals have souls, didn't work though), It means that we are worth more, more important then other animals, which I could never believe.  One of the main reasons I left the Christian faith.  Why do we have to always believe we are better than others?  It begins in the schoolyard, with bullies and such thinking they're better then the other kids.  Or maybe even earlier, with sibling rivalry.  To be so early and not to be taught by parents, it must be genetic.  I only hope we can overcome our genes before we destroy Earth.

Because its genetic, the harsh truth of this world is that people will always think they are better than others.In the coming millenia we will choose our OWN destiny and how we go about it, if Gods good will lets us.. we have SURPASSED evolution, we make artificial climates to fit what we are currently adapted to, and as long as we continue to do this who knows what the future holds?

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#86    Druidus

Druidus

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

- Einstein

Posted 03 April 2004 - 10:39 PM

Surpassed evolution?   laugh.gif   If we do such a thing humans will eventually die out do to diseases we have no way to fight.  I think we are in a period of evolutionary hibernation.  Eventually we will evolve again.  It's only natural to do so.  It will probably follow a large disaster, but we will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users