Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

I went to church today.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16    Wolf MacCanine

Wolf MacCanine

The Lunatic Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

• My "Inner Puppy" made me do it.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:54 AM

Prawus on Jul 10 2008, 09:19 PM, said:

maybe my view of a druid is antiquated (call me old-school tongue.gif), but I thought a "magic wand" (isn't there another word for it?) would have to be something very personal to the druid, and not something that can be bought on toys 'r us.
I mean no offence in that btw, so I hope you take none original.gif

Oh,it is personal...but if someone happens to run across a nice piece of wood that they feel would be useable by a friend (who happens to be a Druid),then it would be acceptable as a gift.Too,if it's a type of wood that is not normally found in the Druid's home area...it would be a good gift,since different woods have different spheres of influence to us. original.gif

"Reality bites and so do I...so deal with it!"

"Geez...one dyslexic human spells your name wrong and you have to deal with it for eons.It's supposed to be DOG,ya doofus!!"

#17    Oderint

Oderint

Psychic Spy

• 1,651 posts

• Buggere Alle this for a Larke.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:26 AM

any female druids around? *snip* tongue.gif

sorry, couldn't resist

Edited by Paranoid Android, 11 July 2008 - 04:40 AM.
sorry, couldn't resist either

The Legend of the Ice people
Reviews here
Formerly known as Prawus

#18    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,479 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:42 AM

MissMelsWell on Jul 11 2008, 01:52 AM, said:

Totally absolutely... I'm STILL keeping my eye out for a natural material tree for YOU!

I think about it whenever I'm at the nursery, dried flower store, craft store, art galleries. Honest to Pete. I haven't come across anything acceptable yet I don't think. Mostly I keep seeing twigs and metal. Neither of which would work. Here's a funny one... I even asked a botanist at the local high brow art-farty nursery if a bonsai could be freeze dried! Then explaining to him why was ummm... and interesting conversation... the short answer was No. LOL. He had no other ideas for me.

I gave a muslim friend a prayer rug once. I've bought Buddhist prayer wheels. I am not Catholic, but I have gifted many a Catholic with silver and gemstone Rosaries that I made with my own hands.. I tell ya, doing the reasearch on that one was tough... rosaries are confusing. LOL.

Aww that is sweet of you.  wub.gif   I ended up getting a real tree for my alter. He sits on the porch until I need him for a ritual.  He has become my familiar.  His name is Bali'.  I have a cat, but she is Catholic.   happy.gif  

snackfood on Jul 11 2008, 02:09 AM, said:

I have a problems going to church.  I think I have some kind of attention-deficit disorder.  Can't sit still for long periods of time without being restless.
Maybe it reminds me too much of a staff meeting at work.

You should go to an old time Bible belt service.  You can get up and dance in the aisles if you want to.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#19    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,159 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:12 AM

Oh I'm so glad you found something Darkwind... and nothing is better than a real tree would be my guess. (I could have sent ya like a bizillion Doug Fir seedlings, they're coming up all over my yard! LOL)

I'lll probably keep looking because I'm curious now... you were right about your first post so many months ago though... finding something suitable is very difficult! I know from experience now!

Like I said earlier, while my faith does not use tools or icons, I'm somewhat fascinated by them. I have to be honest and say that while they aren't part of my practice at all, and never will be... I really get why people feel they're needed.

I'm glad you were able to help your friend out too... that was extremely generous and kind of you. But it's what I've always suspected was the case where you are concerned.

Blessings Friend. original.gif

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#20    iamfatfrog

iamfatfrog

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:35 AM

A christian is one who walks with Christ,the teachings contained within the bible,those principles lead a person to a greater understanding of who God is,(meaning his attributes)and spiritualy quickening them.to reflect such.it is the laying down ones own will that trips most people up due to the idea that they somehow can better manage themselfs than God can. as a christian I can find no suport for the idea of supplying icons fedishes beads cryistals images or items of endearment or used in such practices ect ect to people of other religions,For God wishs to be worshiped in the persons spirit & with truth,and not through items,for such. As a christian I can find no scriptural suport/approval for giving these to another person,& if I did from what information i gather from biblical texts strongly sugests it would be akin to the support of Idol worshiping and partakeing of this in any form or shape is forbiden for me to do,but I am required to help when i am able to do so in feeding sheltering encourageing uplifting being honest peaceable when posible ect ect so no i wouldnt provide religious articles to some one else non christian,

#21    iamfatfrog

iamfatfrog

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

iamfatfrog on Jul 11 2008, 01:35 AM, said:

A christian is one who walks with Christ,the teachings contained within the bible,those principles lead a person to a greater understanding of who God is,(meaning his attributes)and spiritualy quickening them.to reflect such.it is the laying down ones own will that trips most people up due to the idea that they somehow can better manage themselfs than God can. as a christian I can find no suport for the idea of supplying icons fedishes beads cryistals images or items of endearment or used in such practices ect ect to people of other religions,For God wishs to be worshiped in the persons spirit & with truth,and not through items,for such. As a christian I can find no scriptural suport/approval for giving these to another person,& if I did from what information i gather from biblical texts strongly sugests it would be akin to the support of Idol worshiping and partakeing of this in any form or shape is forbiden for me to do,but I am required to help when i am able to do so in feeding sheltering encourageing uplifting being honest peaceable when posible ect ect so no i wouldnt provide religious articles to some one else non christian,

the last bit I must corrct myself on a christian doesnt need any of those things nor are none permited so to a fellow christian perhaps a bible but a bible is only a book informing a person about the master plan & the promise therein. in itself a bible is a book,not a religious instrument. its the following instructions that make the difference

#22    1.618

Poltergeist

• 2,543 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

Darkwind on Jul 10 2008, 11:55 PM, said:

If a person of another religion needed something that would comfort them such as Christian buying a Muslim a Quran or Muslim giving a Druid a magic wand would you do it?

If i'm giving someone a gift generally, it would not be something that i would like. It would be something that the recipient would like. I suppose the same would apply in your situation.

#23    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

If a person of another religion needed something that would comfort them such as Christian buying a Muslim a Quran or Muslim giving a Druid a magic wand would you do it?

Yes.

#24    Oderint

Oderint

Psychic Spy

• 1,651 posts

• Buggere Alle this for a Larke.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

Prawus on Jul 11 2008, 05:26 AM, said:

any female druids around? *snip* tongue.gif

sorry, couldn't resist

sorry PA, didn't know that crossed the line original.gif

The Legend of the Ice people
Reviews here
Formerly known as Prawus

#25    will_1835

will_1835

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

• Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it. -Leo Tolstoy

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

I have a friend who has problems communicating because of MS, so I jumped in the car and went to her place.   The problem didn't go her way, and she ask me if I would go to Church with her.  So I did, and I didn't burst into flames.  LOL  It was in a nursing home and it was an old time bible belt minister.  We sang, prayed, had a healing, a poppet show, and a sermon.    In his sermon he told them all they should read their Bibles.  My friend is blind so she can't read a bible.  She needs one on talking books, does anyone know were I could find one really cheep or free?  I might ask the nursing home if they have the number of the minster or his church and see if they could help my friend out.  
A friend in need is a friend indeed.  yes.gif

I got the Bible in audio format in many different languages from this site.

As for helping others with their religious texts? Absolutely!!! I've helped many Christians with Bibles and New Testaments, a few Buddhist some teachings of Buddha, and lot's o' Qur'ans to Muslims. I do a lot of out-reach in Prisons, hospitals, and with the homeless. The old texts can really help people (no offense, but the religious texts are usually good. It's the religions that get wacky)

The website owner will remove anyone's account if they try to be intelligent or cordial. Please be sure to be ignorant, hostile, and contribute nothing to this website. Thank you.

#26    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Darkwind on Jul 11 2008, 12:42 AM, said:

Aww that is sweet of you.  wub.gif   I ended up getting a real tree for my alter. He sits on the porch until I need him for a ritual.  He has become my familiar.  His name is Bali'.  I have a cat, but she is Catholic.   happy.gif  

You should go to an old time Bible belt service.  You can get up and dance in the aisles if you want to.

I gotta ask...what was it you were looking for anyway?
A Catholic cat? I thought they were all too ego-tastic to worship anyone but themselves!  laugh.gif

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

#27    Schnaffler

Schnaffler

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

• Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Smell the cheese...

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Even though I am an aetheist I don't mind going to church. A friend of mine got married in church recently and I enjoyed having a good sing and looking at the architecture - including some amazing tiny, cute, gargoyles. The only time I feel awkward is when the congregation prays as I don't bow my head and I feel slighty disrespectful. But I was there to witness my firend's ceremony, not take the mickey out of the religion.

Must admit, I don't mind going at Christmas too if someone asks me to go with them - a god old christmas carol singing session does the heart good!

View Posteqgumby, on Jul 11 2008, 07:53 PM, said:

See, you CAN be an Atheist and NOT be a butthead

#28    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

Schnaffler on Jul 11 2008, 12:55 PM, said:

Even though I am an aetheist I don't mind going to church. A friend of mine got married in church recently and I enjoyed having a good sing and looking at the architecture - including some amazing tiny, cute, gargoyles. The only time I feel awkward is when the congregation prays as I don't bow my head and I feel slighty disrespectful. But I was there to witness my firend's ceremony, not take the mickey out of the religion.

Must admit, I don't mind going at Christmas too if someone asks me to go with them - a god old christmas carol singing session does the heart good!

I always bow my head in respect. It's like tipping your hat, or remaining silent but standing at attention when someone else's national anthem is playing.  wink2.gif Always top it off with, "It was a beautiful service". You can't lose!  thumbsup.gif

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry

#29    Schnaffler

Schnaffler

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

• Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Smell the cheese...

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:10 PM

eqgumby on Jul 11 2008, 07:06 PM, said:

I always bow my head in respect. It's like tipping your hat, or remaining silent but standing at attention when someone else's national anthem is playing.  wink2.gif Always top it off with, "It was a beautiful service". You can't lose!  thumbsup.gif

I see your point, I always felt bowing my head was in reverence to god, but I suppose it's with respect to the people around me, not their god.

And you're right, it was a beautiful service happy.gif

I think my other thing with church is it takes me back to my childhood - I attended church when I was little and although I wasn't really that interested in/ understanding of the sermons, the singing was always fun then too.

View Posteqgumby, on Jul 11 2008, 07:53 PM, said:

See, you CAN be an Atheist and NOT be a butthead

#30    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

Schnaffler on Jul 11 2008, 01:10 PM, said:

I see your point, I always felt bowing my head was in reverence to god, but I suppose it's with respect to the people around me, not their god.

And you're right, it was a beautiful service happy.gif

I think my other thing with church is it takes me back to my childhood - I attended church when I was little and although I wasn't really that interested in/ understanding of the sermons, the singing was always fun then too.

See, you CAN be an Atheist and NOT be a butthead, just like you can be an American (in a foreign country) and not be an UGLY American, simply by respecting other cultures and traditions (specifically the ones that cause no harm to their fellow Man). It goes both ways of course, but you get my drift.  original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users