Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

I went to church today.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

Darkwind on Jul 11 2008, 05:42 AM, said:

You should go to an old time Bible belt service.  You can get up and dance in the aisles if you want to.

laugh.gif What church is that? I just attended an Episcopal church service and nobody uttered a peep. The same for the Babtist church I attended as a child; along with Methodist, Catholic, Presbyterian and Seventh Day Adventist that I've been to. The only church where I've personally ever seen them get up and dance and/or make a lot of noise was an all black Southern Babtist Church or a Church of God.

I don't mean to contradict you, but it irritates me when any kind of stereotype just keeps getting played over and over again. Especially when I know for a fact how incredibly wrong it is in general. Even in my grandparents day most churches didn't participate in that kind of exibitionism.

Edited by Michelle, 11 July 2008 - 08:41 PM.

#32    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,804 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:55 PM

Michelle on Jul 11 2008, 09:22 PM, said:

laugh.gif What church is that? I just attended an Episcopal church service and nobody uttered a peep. The same for the Babtist church I attended as a child; along with Methodist, Catholic, Presbyterian and Seventh Day Adventist that I've been to. The only church where I've personally ever seen them get up and dance and/or make a lot of noise was an all black Southern Babtist Church or a Church of God.

I don't mean to contradict you, but it irritates me when any kind of stereotype just keeps getting played over and over again. Especially when I know for a fact how incredibly wrong it is in general. Even in my grandparents day most churches didn't participate in that kind of exibitionism.

I wouldn't expect a lot of noise from any of the Churches you listed.  Have you ever been to a Pentecost?  A lot depends on where you live.  If you are in the North churches are very sedate, but as you get into the Bible belt southern fundamentalist churches they can be really off the wall.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#33    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:06 PM

Darkwind on Jul 10 2008, 06:55 PM, said:

I have a friend who has problems communicating because of MS, so I jumped in the car and went to her place.   The problem didn't go her way, and she ask me if I would go to Church with her.  So I did, and I didn't burst into flames.  LOL  It was in a nursing home and it was an old time bible belt minister.  We sang, prayed, had a healing, a poppet show, and a sermon.    In his sermon he told them all they should read their Bibles.  My friend is blind so she can't read a bible.  She needs one on talking books, does anyone know were I could find one really cheep or free?  I might ask the nursing home if they have the number of the minster or his church and see if they could help my friend out.  
A friend in need is a friend indeed.  yes.gif

If a person of another religion needed something that would comfort them such as Christian buying a Muslim a Quran or Muslim giving a Druid a magic wand would you do it?

Darkwind you're awesome and thats all I have to say about that! original.gif

Yes I would if it comforts them and gives them hope and faith than it is not for me to deny them....as long as they promised not to club someone over the head with it or hurt someone with it. original.gif

"I am an arms dealer fitting you with weapons in the form of words and don't really care, which side wins as long as the room keeps singing that's just the business I'm in.This ain't a scene, it's a god damn arms race" Fall Out Boys
"Holes in our spirit causin' tears and fears One-sided stories for years and years and years I'm inferior? Whose inferior? Yeah, we need to check the interior Of the system, who cares about only one culture And that is why We gotta take the power back" Rage against the Machine

#34    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

I looked in the phone book and out of nine pages of churches in my area there are 10 (ten) Pentecostal churches. That still isn't deserving of a stereotype for the entire south. I'm well aware of what goes on in the Bible Belt...I was raised in Georgia and live in Tennessee. The funny thing is that I'd never seen snake handlers or heard people speaking in tongues until I was visiting my cousins in Illinois...which is definately not in the south.

#35    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:21 PM

I'd have no problem giving someone a gift that follows their belief regardless of my own.

First time I ever heard tongues was in an Assemblies of God church in *New Jersey*.

#36    Schnaffler

Schnaffler

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

• Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Smell the cheese...

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:40 PM

eqgumby on Jul 11 2008, 07:53 PM, said:

See, you CAN be an Atheist and NOT be a butthead

That has made me laugh so much, I'm going to use it in my signature! And you're right, it does work both ways. wink2.gif

View Posteqgumby, on Jul 11 2008, 07:53 PM, said:

#37    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,263 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:10 AM

LOL, a friend of mine lives near a Four Square Gossepl church, it's really on the street behind his house and I tell you what, on the occasions I stay over there on a Saturday night, I am woken up by their rackous singing. But... it's GREAT!

A couple of Sunday's ago it was a gorgeous 80 degrees by 10am, when all the sudden we heard a band, like Mardi Gras in New Orleans coming from the church. It was so awesome! My friend and his roomates and I were all out on the back deck dancin' and singin' along with When the Saints Go Marching In. LOL. That was the most fun I'd had at 10am on Sunday morning in a LONG time. LOL. They must have held their services outside that morning, because it sounded like that band and the serivce was right in the backyard. LOL. I dunno what they were doing, but it sure got my groove thing going! LOL

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#38    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:28 AM

Sounds very sedate to me, MissMel.... wink2.gif

#39    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,263 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:44 AM

Schnaffler on Jul 11 2008, 10:55 AM, said:

Even though I am an aetheist I don't mind going to church. A friend of mine got married in church recently and I enjoyed having a good sing and looking at the architecture - including some amazing tiny, cute, gargoyles. The only time I feel awkward is when the congregation prays as I don't bow my head and I feel slighty disrespectful. But I was there to witness my firend's ceremony, not take the mickey out of the religion.

Must admit, I don't mind going at Christmas too if someone asks me to go with them - a god old christmas carol singing session does the heart good!

I don't pray at other church services. It's not disrespectful to quietly look around at the architecture, or out the window or the gargoyles (had to have been a Catholic Church. Protestants aren't big on gargoyles lol). It's really not. I don't kneel on the knee thingys either, I simply sit back on the bench and look around. Maybe I'm more confident about doing that because I am actually a believer, it's just not my practice to pray in 30 second sprints, or do calistentics... sit, kneel, stand, sit, kneel, stand, LOL No one has ever said anything to me about not following the crowd so I'm assuming there's no disrespect involved.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#40    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:26 AM

I don't pray at other church services.

I just bow my head and close my eyes until the finish.

#41    Schnaffler

Schnaffler

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Smell the cheese...

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:04 AM

MissMelsWell on Jul 12 2008, 04:44 AM, said:

I don't pray at other church services. It's not disrespectful to quietly look around at the architecture, or out the window or the gargoyles (had to have been a Catholic Church. Protestants aren't big on gargoyles lol). It's really not. I don't kneel on the knee thingys either, I simply sit back on the bench and look around. Maybe I'm more confident about doing that because I am actually a believer, it's just not my practice to pray in 30 second sprints, or do calistentics... sit, kneel, stand, sit, kneel, stand, LOL No one has ever said anything to me about not following the crowd so I'm assuming there's no disrespect involved.

It was a Church of England church with the gargoyles, they were all hiding in little corners and you had to look really hard to find them - actually technically speaking they were grotesques, not gargoyles as they were inside the church and it's be pretty wierd to have water spouts inside a church.

I know what you mean about the sit, stand, kneel thing. My brother got married in a Polish Catholic church last year to a Polish girl, gosh those guys don't like to let you settle in your seat!

#42    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,263 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

Ah, I wonder, since I've never seen grotesques in protestant churches in the USA; I wonder if the church you were in was built pre-protestant movement. Very interesting. original.gif

I used to live up in Suffolk, but I can't recall every going into any churches while I was there other than the standard tourist venues like Westminster etc...

#43    Schnaffler

Schnaffler

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Smell the cheese...

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

MissMelsWell on Jul 12 2008, 09:00 AM, said:

Ah, I wonder, since I've never seen grotesques in protestant churches in the USA; I wonder if the church you were in was built pre-protestant movement. Very interesting. original.gif

I used to live up in Suffolk, but I can't recall every going into any churches while I was there other than the standard tourist venues like Westminster etc...

I'm not sure. This was the church though, take a look.

St Chad's

#44    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,263 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

Schnaffler on Jul 12 2008, 01:32 AM, said:

I'm not sure. This was the church though, take a look.

St Chad's

oooh! What a pretty little place! Ya, I took a look, it was built between 1220-1240. Several hundred years before the protestant movement. It was a Catholic church at one time. The name even gives it away, most protestant churches built after the reform aren't named after Saints original.gif Very picturesque little place!

#45    ShadowsAndDust

ShadowsAndDust

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:15 PM

Darkwind on Jul 10 2008, 11:55 PM, said:

If a person of another religion needed something that would comfort them such as Christian buying a Muslim a Quran or Muslim giving a Druid a magic wand would you do it?

Of Course, by not buying said book for that religious person you only serve to further them away from your cause, if your cause is to convert them to your religion. In you, they see your religion, if you act like an idiot, stupid and unkind that is the way they view your religion. A sad truth...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users