Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is there a thing as destiny?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Theunexplained

Theunexplained

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:27 PM

do we all have destineys? or can we choose which path to take?

i believe that we all have a destiny but can choose  different paths that lead to it

everything happens for a reason

#2    Paville

Paville

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

Theunexplained on Jul 19 2008, 02:27 AM, said:

do we all have destineys? or can we choose which path to take?

i believe that we all have a destiny but can choose  different paths that lead to it

everything happens for a reason

As Einstein said people who believe in destiny seem to look both ways before crossing the street. It doesnt mean anything really but if you think about it its a bit interesting.

#3    Rosewin

Rosewin

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

Freewill and destiny coexist. We can make our own choices but we cannot avoid the ultimates.

#4    Yahveh

Yahveh

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:01 PM

I don't believe the destiny or fate bit. I personally think things happen. We can control a lot of the thinngs that go down. We do choose which way we go with our lives. And that will change the way things happen in life, but nothing is set.

Is there an intelligent man or woman now in the world who believes in the Garden of Eden story? If you find any man who believes it, strike his forehead and you will hear an echo. Something is for rent.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "Orthodoxy" (1884)

#5    Dr. D

Dr. D

Alien Abducter

• 5,275 posts

• I love being me even though sometimes I'm still a stranger.

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:09 PM

Clovis on Jul 18 2008, 09:51 PM, said:

Freewill and destiny coexist. We can make our own choices but we cannot avoid the ultimates.

Care to elaborate?

#6    John from Lowell

John from Lowell

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

• Self Love Unlocks the Magic Inside

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:15 AM

Everything does happen for a reason.

As I see it, each of us has a life plan and free will. This is similar to what Clovis has said.

John

What We Are Never Changes !!

Who We Are Is Always Changing !!!

#7    Johann Faust

Johann Faust

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:24 AM

well, i believe that God has lots of businesses to deal with, such as the Global Warming...

he has no time to concern me.

Edited by Johann Faust, 19 July 2008 - 07:24 AM.

#8    MARAB0D

MARAB0D

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:01 AM

Clovis on Jul 19 2008, 08:51 AM, said:

Free Will is a choice to make some action; this choice always has an Intention behind it. Now, Action takes place in material world - but the Intention takes place in our Spiritual world. The Action seems to be less important for us than the Intention behind it - so from the point of view of material world there can be a Destiny, which is a certain sequence of actions with a certain result. But we are in material world only temporarily, for a limited period - while our Spirit is considered immortal. So, for our Spirit our intentions are more important than our actions; and it is Free Will chooses which Intention we use for any predestined action.

As an example one can use a premeditated murder, a murder in affection, a murder in self-defense, a murder at war, a murder by accident and a murder by contract. The action (murder) is the same but the motivation is different and the real guilt varies from full to none, same as the Intentions vary from inferior to advanced.

That was just to illustrate your answer my way, as I agree they coexist but did not understand what "ultimates" mean.

#9    Arcanus.

Arcanus.

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:12 AM

I believe in destiny. Freewill does coexist with destiny, but I almost never use my freewill these days. I go with the flow, going everywhere my feet leads me to...

This happened just a day before. I was going to my destination, utterly concentrating on the prospect that "destiny will lead you wherever you wanted to go". So I took the first bus that came into my sight but I don't know where it would lead me to. I just don't care, and eventually I slept. When I woke up I found myself in my destination!

So... just believe in your destiny and trust this theory: "TWUS". The Whole Universe Supports. If you got a wish to do something, just believe in destiny and believe in TWUS! The Whole Universe will Support you... (In my case, the bus driver did support me even if I didn't ask him to)

Pity... clearly, fame isn't everything, is it, Mr. Potter?

Check out my deviantART profile

#10    nohands

nohands

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:45 PM

hmmmm....for short intentions and will are  the factors that is stronger than actions...in this sense im just being happy that someday i will come to my destiny
by the way THE ARKAN L.S. nice idea "The Whole universe Supports you!!!"

Edited by nohands, 26 July 2008 - 01:47 PM.

I was born crying, I die crying,
Why i cant remember the days of the past..
Internal silence Keep it...
im going gone insane...
I must be infinite!!!

#11    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:49 AM

I'm a little sleepy, so my answer will be short. laugh.gif

I believe in destiny, but I believe it is self-imposed for the most part.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#12    Hocus

Hocus

Psychic Spy

• 1,786 posts

• "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    - Albert Einstein

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:29 PM

i used to think that free will and destiny co existed and like has been previously said you could choose things like what you were going to wear or what to eat. but then i thought something as small as that could determine your destiny and thats why i have changed my mind and think there is no free will. such as... say you chose to wear blue jeans, white trainers and a black jumper. and a gang of criminals or a phsycopath were looking for a man matching that description of clothes. which was not you obvioulsy but they were intent to kill the other man wearing them clothes. for whatever reason they had. you died as a result of mistaken identity. why did you choose to wear those clothes on that day? and why were you in that area that the criminals were? at that time?
more than a coincidence?
say for another example your at a resturaunt. theres countless dishes you could have you chose one out of many.
this dish is off and gives you serious food poisioning and you die as a result.

everything happens for a reason.

"To consider the earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow"
-Methodorus.
Greek philosopher of the fourth century B.C.

#13    nohands

nohands

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

hehe yes yes everything happens for a reason......birth itself is a destiny that is why you can't choose on your own(for a normal person.)

I was born crying, I die crying,
Why i cant remember the days of the past..
Internal silence Keep it...
im going gone insane...
I must be infinite!!!

#14    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,882 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:12 AM

Its only human sentience which drives us to ask this question. Does a goat have a destiny? No! A goat does not have conscious free will either, however.

Humans have both conscious free will and freedom to make any choice they like, based on their sentience, and that inherent free will. No one's future is either predestined or certain, although, due to the nature of cause and effect and environmental/genetic and other influences, some outcomes are more probable than others.
Chaos and random independent events may influence our future but even these are dependent on many of the conscious choices we make. If we choose to live on a fault line we have a higher chance of being killed in an earthquake. If we drive a lot of miles in private vehicles we have a slightly higher chance of dying or being injured in a road accident. But how we choose to drive will also moderate those potentialities.
If we drink alcohol we increas our risks in many categories from violence to road injury. If we form a relationship with an abusive person we alter our likely future in many negative ways.

Only the questioning nature of our sentience drives us to ask what is inherently a philosophical/spiritual question. Like the goat, we have no great predetermined destiny. Unlike the goat, we can shape our destiny to a greater or lesser extent, depending on many factors including, but not limited to,  our intelligence and our will power.

Edited by Mr Walker, 04 August 2008 - 05:20 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#15    John from Lowell

John from Lowell

Psychic Spy

• 1,753 posts

• Self Love Unlocks the Magic Inside

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

Mr Walker on Aug 4 2008, 01:12 AM, said:

Only the questioning nature of our sentience drives us to ask what is inherently a philosophical/spiritual question. Like the goat, we have no great predetermined destiny. Unlike the goat, we can shape our destiny to a greater or lesser extent, depending on many factors including, but not limited to,  our intelligence and our will power.

May I ask a question Mr. Walker. Would a spiritual being, who creates a physical human experience for itself, do this without a reason? I would think that if there was a reason for becoming human there would also be a purpose for it as well. If your contention is that there is no reason or purpose for becoming human, then why do we do it?

Thanks .... John

What We Are Never Changes !!

Who We Are Is Always Changing !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users