Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
1560 replies to this topic

#1201    clfr21

clfr21

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

I am reading 'The Road' by Cormac mcCarthy. So far so good  :)

#1202    daviddee

daviddee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:07 PM

funny thing, am in a book abnout 2012......not that I think something will happen, but at the same time it helps the time go by.....

David Dee

#1203    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,166 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

Not sure what caused the urge but I am re-reading Alice Through the Looking-Glass.

:)

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#1204    Robbie333

Robbie333

"Seek and you shall find"

• 2,790 posts

• Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there; I do not sleep.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

View PostBoff, on 07 March 2004 - 08:01 AM, said:

Well I'm reading the Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, part 2. Awsome book, everyone read the trilogy

I just finished reading " In the Heart of the Sea " It is a wonderful read.

http://www.amazon.co...ader_0141001828

Robbie James

#1205    Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi

"His Dudeness"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

• "..."

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

"One Train Later" by Andy Summers

Being one of my "heroes", I get a kick out of the humorous way he retells his life and how the guitar, once he discovers it, truly is the only constant throughout. If you have his photography book, "I'll Be Watching You: Inside the Police, 1980-83", the two books actually work well together once he gets involved with Sting and Copeland a little over halfway through "One Train".

"One Train Later" puts many of his photos in a better context than the small descriptions that are given in "I'll Be Watching You".

#1206    mcrguy18

mcrguy18

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

• Ghost, Monsters and Demons i get but people are just crazy.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:46 AM

skulduggery pleasant by derek landy

city of fallen angels by cassandra clare

#1207    Amnesiac

Amnesiac

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 301 posts

• Frankenstein would want your mind
    Your lovely head
    Your lovely head

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:20 AM

View Postclfr21, on 22 May 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

I am reading 'The Road' by Cormac mcCarthy. So far so good  :)
if you haven't read Blood Meridian by McCarthy, DO IT. it's his best, imo, and it's also a great summer novel.

just finished Norwegian Wood, by Haruki Murakami, and rly enjoyed it. there's also a japanese movie based on it, though i haven't seen it yet. i'm about to start The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by the same author.

Posted Image

#1208    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

♔ Queen E L S A

• 8,322 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:29 AM

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

#1209    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:06 AM

"The Divorce Culture" by Barbara DeFoe/DeVoe Whitehall (author's name sp?) a pyschiatrist conducted a 25-year study from 1970 to 1995 (the book written in 1996) on children from divorced family as they grew up into adulthood. The book's studies find a majority of grown children of divorces in the 1970s find their difficulty in handling relationships and preservation or keeping a marriage from not repeating what their parents done.

Another book I recently read was "the Keys to Tulsa" by Bryan Fair Berkey, about a group of local wealthy 20-somethings from elite privileged backgrounds (the parents are oil rich) in the city of the book's title: Tulsa, Oklahoma. Later made into a movie in the 1990s, one famous line I memorized was from a minor character: a white supremacist who is an owner of his grass sod farm: "My seed is pure".

Edited by Makoto Jupiter, 14 June 2011 - 05:09 AM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#1210    Kriegermonch

Kriegermonch

Government Agent

• 3,285 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

Apathy, and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilan. Literally one of the funniest books I have ever read.

#1211    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Using my awesome deductive powers of necromancy, I necro bump  this thread to the top.

Wellington: The Years Of The Sword by Elizabeth Longford. This is the first volume of a two volume end all biography on Arthur Wellesly, Duke of Wellington. The gist of this book mostly focuses on his military life while serving in India, Peninsular Wars, and culminating in Waterloo but also his private life through letters and his functions in the state during his extraordinary career. Exciting battles and an insightful intimate look at the person of Arthur Wellesly. The second volume is Wellington: Pillar of State, which obviously must focuses on his post-war life in the state and whatnot.

Edited by dside, 24 May 2012 - 08:53 PM.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#1212    Shosanna Dreyfus

Shosanna Dreyfus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

• "My name is Shosanna Dreyfus and THIS is the face... of Jewish vengeance!"

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

This week I started reading The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky and My Dark Places by James Ellroy.

"My name is Shosanna Dreyfus and THIS is the face... of Jewish vengeance!"
Shosanna will return in... Shosanna Kills... Shosanna Kills Again and... The Dreyfus Knight Rises!
Bridget Von Hammersmark will return in... The World Is Not Enough and... Quantum Of S.P.A.R.T.A.
Villain:  "Shosanna just sent me a text message!  It says I just *beep*ed with the wrong French girl!"

#1213    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

I am continuing my itinerary of leaders, explorers, and military greats from between 16th-19th centuries in the age of tall ships, cannon ball, and black powder.

Frederick The Great: The Magnificent Enigma by Robert B Asprey

This author wrote a two book biography on Napoleon Bonaparte too and has been recommended to me as one of the better biographies ever written on Boney as he divides historians and history fans. Napoleon was a great admirer of King Frederick II of Prussia (whom is one of the figures that influenced the Corsican militarily), a military genius that won 12 of 15 of his battles.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#1214    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

The Rise Of Napoleon Bonaparte by Robert B Asprey.

The previous book I read by this author was fine (just fine) in its own right, not nearly as riveting  or intimately detailed as the first volume Longford's Arthur Wellesly bio. Just wished it had more maps (with battle illustrations). A great book on the 7 Years War 1756-1763 is in order.

Now onto this book, it was this or Cronin's Boney bio? I chose this.

#1215    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,440 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

I'm currently reading "American Gods", by Neil Gaimen.  Somewhat interesting, though it seems to meander quite a bit at times.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users