Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
1632 replies to this topic

#1291    SCFan

SCFan

ISA 62:2; 65:15; HOS 1:10; 2:23; MATT 21:43; ACTS 11:26

• 2,621 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 18 January 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

The George R.R. Martin books are astounding. So dark. Tyrion is one of the best characters I've encountered anywhere.

Though I would advise you to put off reading the rest for a year or two, or you will have a torturous few years (maybe more) waiting on the next.

Personally I don't think he'll finish the series before he dies.

That is one reason I am choosing not to finish the series. I think GRRM has lost inspiration to finish it.

I picked up AGOT and ACOK just before the ASOS hardback it the shelves. I then read ASOS and it was the best book of the series yet with some shocking developments resulting in the deaths of some main characters that I had been invested in over all three books.

Then I waited, and waited, and waited. When the fourth book hit the stand 5 or 6 years later, I didnt bother to read it. And then I heard reports and read reviews that GRRM has introduced loads more characters and POVs (ahem... like Jordan), there is a ton of filler and fluff while the story itself inches forward at a snailpace (ahem... like Jordan), and alot of pointless redundancy (ahem... like Jordan).

Now, when GRRM originally wrote the fourth book it had too many pages and he had to go back and re-edit the whole thing into two books instead of one. That is why it took so long but in effect probably one of the main reasons quality isnt up to par with the first three books. The series hasnt recovered from these delays and the re-edit of book four. And plus, maybe GRRM has lost inspiration to finish the series properly.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#1292    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,125 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostEldorado, on 18 January 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

My neighbour's Electricity Meter.
Hey El! Welcome back! Posted Image

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#1293    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,125 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 18 January 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

That is one reason I am choosing not to finish the series. I think GRRM has lost inspiration to finish it.

I picked up AGOT and ACOK just before the ASOS hardback it the shelves. I then read ASOS and it was the best book of the series yet with some shocking developments resulting in the deaths of some main characters that I had been invested in over all three books.

Then I waited, and waited, and waited. When the fourth book hit the stand 5 or 6 years later, I didnt bother to read it. And then I heard reports and read reviews that GRRM has introduced loads more characters and POVs (ahem... like Jordan), there is a ton of filler and fluff while the story itself inches forward at a snailpace (ahem... like Jordan), and alot of pointless redundancy (ahem... like Jordan).

Now, when GRRM originally wrote the fourth book it had too many pages and he had to go back and re-edit the whole thing into two books instead of one. That is why it took so long but in effect probably one of the main reasons quality isnt up to par with the first three books. The series hasnt recovered from these delays and the re-edit of book four. And plus, maybe GRRM has lost inspiration to finish the series properly.
that's always the trouble with these kind of boooks. You'll find something interesting in a charity shoppe (where I get nearly all mine), and then you'll find it's "Book IV of the Sword of Damocles trilogy" or something, and so you'll have to get the first three before you can read that. It really does get rather tiresome. Particularly when they're about 700 pages each.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#1294    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Despatches by Michael Herr. (For about the 6th. time!)

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#1295    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Martin Langfield: Secret Fire.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#1296    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,832 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Preston and Child- Fever Dream

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#1297    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,114 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Andrew Gross: Reckless.

Up the Robins!

#1298    SubjectDigamma

SubjectDigamma

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Sunset Erin hunter

#1299    SCFan

SCFan

• 2,621 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

The Dead Of Night - The Ghost Stories Of Oliver Onions

The House On The Borderland - William Hope Hodgson (more than half read)

The Dunwich Horror And Others - Howard Phillips Lovecraft (half read)

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#1300    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• 1,233 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 18 January 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

Tell me about it !!!!!!

I ran out and got ADWD , finished it in two days and now I'm waiting for the next one .

I am happy to say that the series is by far the best I have ever read , such a huge scale of people and places !

If GRRM happends to die before the series is finished .... the night will be dark and full of terror :blush:

TiP.

#1301    SCFan

SCFan

• 2,621 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Still reading The Dead Of Night: The Ghost Stories Of Oliver Onions

Plus; Who Fears The Devil by Manly Wade Wellman (a book entirely composed of the adventures of John Silver and his silver-stringed guitar who battles demons, ghouls, witches, and monsters in post-WWII Appalachia with his faith in God. These stories are rich and evocative in Appalachian folklore and traditions. This is my first time reading Wellman and he is said to one of the best!)

And Feed by Mira Grant. This book series was recommended to me as one of the finest zombie apocalypse literature written since World War Z. This isnt a series that is pure survival horror but takes place 20 years after the rising. It revolves around surviving bloggers using their investigative skills to uncover a governmental/global conspiracy behind the reasons for the zombies.

It is a trilogy.

Book 1: Feed
Book 2: Deadline
Book 3: Blackout
Book Zero: Countdown

Here is the author's site: Http://www.miragrant.com

Edited by B Jenkins, 27 January 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#1302    Urisk

Urisk

Motorhead for life!

• 1,600 posts

• Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Not long started the first book in Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. I forget its title... Assassin's Apprentice or something?It was reccommended by a close friend, and I'm getting quite into it despite being initially a bit wary of the first person narrative. It works well in Lovecraft's shorts, Ramsey Campbell etc when more like a statement, or account, but I'm always a bit sceptical that someone can really remember a full-blown conversation when they were six, or whatever... But no, it's actually quite good! Couple of really moving bits so far that I don't think will leave me for a while.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#1303    glorybebe

glorybebe

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,933 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

'Thief of Lives' by Barb and JC Hendee.  I bought the first book quite a while ago and while searching found out there is a huge series!  I am going to be busy for a while reading and then tracking the next one down. Lol

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#1304    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,114 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 27 January 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

And Feed by Mira Grant. This book series was recommended to me as one of the finest zombie apocalypse literature written since World War Z. This isnt a series that is pure survival horror but takes place 20 years after the rising. It revolves around surviving bloggers using their investigative skills to uncover a governmental/global conspiracy behind the reasons for the zombies.

It is a trilogy.

Book 1: Feed
Book 2: Deadline
Book 3: Blackout
Book Zero: Countdown

Here is the author's site: Http://www.miragrant.com
I should have learnt from Final Destination that it's not over till it's over.
Btw I've got the first three in my possession so it's quite a shock it's still incomplete.
I honestly didn't want to drag my carcass to Manchester but I've got to now.
It's exclusive to HMV because the really good books don't end on Tesco's shelves.
I've read the first book and honestly I was concentrating on the actions of the zombies more.
They just seem to steal the show in every appearance they make.
Though the zombie disease is still dormant in the heroine.
But her precaution of wearing shades didn't stop her getting turned.

I'm currently reading The Sign by Raymond Khoury.
But I had just finished  a book called Nightfall by Stephen Leather.
It certainly was hell for...
This father sold his son's birthright to a devil then had him adopted.
The son's pentagram was in a very unique place at the back of his iris.

Edited by Medium Brown, 09 February 2013 - 11:26 AM.

Up the Robins!

#1305    regi

regi

Government Agent

• 3,496 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I have about 100 more pages to read in People Who Eat Darkness, a true story about a 21 year old girl, Lucie Blackman, who went missing in Tokyo two months after she and her best friend arrived there to work as bar hostesses.
The author is a journalist, and reported on the story as it happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users