Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
1560 replies to this topic

#1306    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

War In The Shadows-The Guerrilla in History by Robert B. Asprey

Well worth reading very interesting look from hannibal to the cold war

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#1307    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Andre Breton's: Surealist Manifesto
Amazing look into the mind of the artist.
1924!

Edited by HDesiato, 10 February 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#1308    MisterCee

MisterCee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• "Quando omni flunkus moritati"

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

I'm about halfway through Tim Dorsey's newest: "Riptide ultra-glide."  Crazy, wacky misadventures in Florida when you need a little less seriousness in your life. :yes:

#1309    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'm only going to post reviews of amazing books from now on...

The subject of nano- technology cropped up again in " The Sign".
This reclusive priest ended up as a messiah but who in reality was just a patsy.
In fact there was quite a few people used in a conspiracy that came straight from the corridors of power.
This multi millionaire wanted to use this manufactured sign to highlight global warming.
However the situation got took out of his hands by a Washington power broker.
He wanted the priest to give a little speech,wave his hands in the air while the sign hovered above.
The intent being to destabilise the Muslim faith and strengthen the Christian one.
And then if that wasn't enough do a big reveal of the device and destabilise the Christians.
The power broker also used a reporter in his machinatons.
Near the end it was down to a reformed car thief to save the day.
However the multi- millionaire was reduced to a hired hand while the reformed car thief provided the muscle.
The multi- millionaire was put in an impossible position by having his bodyguards put in place by the power broker.
One last thing.. the reformed car thieves brother was held hostage to power up the device.

Edited by Medium Brown, 11 February 2013 - 01:23 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#1310    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Worldwar: In the Balance by Harry Turtledove. World War II is happening when suddenly ALIENS.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#1311    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Alex Adams: White Horse.

Up the Robins!

#1312    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,679 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Le Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#1313    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

My National Geographic magazine from Dec. 2009 on the search of planets outside the solar system entitled "Are we Alone? In search for another Earth." I used to have a subscription to NGO until last spring going back to when I first read NGO at age 8 and used to be a member of the National Geographic society, but never bought much anything else from them.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#1314    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

I finished 'The Shipping News' by Annie Proulx a couple of days ago. I last read it some years ago when it first came out .... long enough ago to have forgotten the plot. I love it! Proulx is brilliant at making the environment come alive, plus, her characters are very believable. The story is about a rather weak man who becomes a widower and moves to Newfoundland with his two small children to start a new life. Some very funny, quirky observations by Proulx.

Because I enjoyed that so much I bought 'Heart Songs' by the same author: 11 short stories set in poor rural areas of America. The stories are all pretty grim, but I enjoyed reading them because, again, as snapshots of real life they are gems. I also bought 'Postcards' by Proulx ...... looking forward to starting that tomorrow!

Proulx is probably most famous for writing 'Brokeback Mountain' (which I haven't read).

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#1315    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

A Gathering Of Crows by Brian Keene, Just started it today!

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#1316    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Matt Hilton: Judgement And Wrath.

Up the Robins!

#1317    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Stuart Neville: The Twelve

Up the Robins!

#1318    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

I just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I've never read 372 pages so fast and don't remember ever having so much fun reading anything.

Here's the summary on the back :

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the Oasis. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines - puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.

But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win - and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Here's a review I completely agree with :

If you identify yourself as a nerd, geek, gamer, 1980s history buff, a fan of science fiction, fantasy, or dystopian fiction, otaku, 1980s movie fan, romantic, someone who grew up in the 80s, or a human with emotions - you will enjoy Ready Player One. if you identify with two or more of the above, it's a guaranteed new favorite novel.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#1319    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I finished 'Postcards' by Annie Proulx this afternoon ....... it was amazing! She has a very distinct, original style of writing. This story was also rather grim, but gripping too: it's the story of one man's life from 30 to 70yrs after he murders his girlfriend and goes on the run. The story starts in the early 1900s on a poor, rundown farm.

I loved this book so much that I've just now ordered three more of Proulx's books from ebay! 'Brokeback Mountain', 'Bad Dirt' and 'Accordian Crimes'.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#1320    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,075 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 25 February 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

I just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
Your summary piqued my interest.  I've just downloaded this book onto my e-reader, I'll probably take a break from my current book (Feast for Crows, book 4 of A Song of Fire and Ice, better known as A Game of Thrones), it's one of my favourite series, but this particular book does drag a bit, so a bit of a diversion sounds like a plan right about now.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users