Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
1589 replies to this topic

#1366    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Non gender specific

• 25,677 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm going through Amristead Maupin at the moment, I'm now onto Further Tales of the City. I've nearly finished Charlaine Harris, so I needed to move on to something else.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#1367    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

The Samson Option: Israel's Nuclear Arsenal And American Foreign Policy by Seymour M Hersh.

An engrossing read.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#1368    ImmortalSupernaturalAlien

ImmortalSupernaturalAlien

Xenomorph Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

• Aliens. Aliens everywhere.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

I was reading The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah

#1369    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

Just finished The Samson Option by Seymour M Hersh. Fantastic read and I thought I'd share the Author's Note at the front of the book:

This is a book about how Israel became a nuclear power in secret. It also tells how that secret was shared, sanctioned, and, at times, willfully ignored by the top political and military officials of the United States since the Eisenhower years.

In it, you will find many senior American officials being quoted - most of them for the first time - about what they knew and when they knew it. These officials spoke to me not because of animosity toward the Israeli government, but because they realized the hypocrisy of the American policy of publicly pretending that Israel's nuclear arsenal does not exist. That policy remains in effect as this is written.

I chose not to go to Israe while doing research for this book. For one thing, those Israelis who were  willing to talk to me were far more accessible and open when interviewed in Washington, New York, or, in some cases, Europe. Furthermore, Israel subjects all journalists, domestic and foreign, to censorship. Under Israeli rules, all material produced by journalists in Israel must be submitted to military censors, who have the right to make changes and deletions if they perceive a threat to Israeli national security. I could not, for obvious reasons, submit to Israeli censorship. Those in the past who have broken the rules have been refused reentry to Israel.

Those Israelis who talked were not critics of Israel's nuclear capability, nor would they feel secure without the bomb. They spoke because they believe a full and open discussion of the Israeli nuclear arsenal - and of the consequences of its deployment - is essential in a democratic society.

Seymour M Hersh
August 1991
Washington, D.C.

I am now reading Israel's Lebanon War: The First Inside Account Of A Disasterous Military Adventure And Its Ongoing Consequences by Ze'ev Schiff and Ehud Ya'ari

Here is piece from this book's forward:

Not all of what we intended to publish in this book was cleared by the Israeli military censor, to whom we were obligated to submit the manuscript. The excisions have not, in our view, changed the gist or spirit of the final product, though occassionally they cut deeply into the substance of our argument. We are convinced, however, that in the course of time a reappraisal of what does and does not prejudice the true interests of national security will result in the release of the presently classified material.

Ze'ev Schiff
Ehud Ya'ari

March 1984
Jerusalem, Washington

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#1370    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,306 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

The Castle, by Franz Kafka. It's online in PDF as are all of his stories. That's good as I can't find the real book. I'd much rather have a real book.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#1371    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

Odd Apocalypse - Dean Koontz

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#1372    Wordless Wanderer

Wordless Wanderer

Midnight Snack Muncher

• 2,420 posts

• Tinky winky, Dipsy, La-la, Po! Eh-Oh!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Inferno by Dan Brown

Best Kept Secret by Jeffrey Archer

Posted Image

#1373    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

♔ Moon P R I N C E S S

• 8,468 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

Keep it pithy by Bill O'Reilly.

#1374    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

dream-quest of unknown kadath by H.P. Lovecraft

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#1375    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

I have been adsent recently from this wonderful site offering diverse and eclectic world views.

But in my absence I have just been reading an amazing author, Stephen J Green, whose cited sources are largely declassified documents and personal contacts in the government and across the globe.

His books Taking Sides and Living By The Sword are truly eyeopening and revealing with the real stories that failed to make the news for political and partisan reasons.

Important books which I list with 5 other books as essential reading to gain insight on America and its Middle East policies particularly Israel. The others are:

The Passionate Attachment by George W Ball
The Samson Option by Seymour M Hersh
Warriors Against Israel by Donald Neff
Warriors At Suez by Donald Neff
Warriors For Jerusalem by Donald Neff

This list of 7 books is by no means complete. But an excellent primer for those that want to hear the complete story, not just myths and partisan propaganda. I literally have six stapled together notebook pages worth of listed books and titles on this subject. I am sure there will be deletions and additions along the way.

Speaking of the latter,

Ben-Gurion's Scandals: How The Haganah And The Mossad Eliminated Jews by Naeim Giladi
Comrades And Enemies: The Arab And Jewish Workers In Palestine, 1906-1948 by Zachery Lockman
The General's Son: The Journey Of An Israeli In Palestine by Miko Peled
Jewish Terrorism In Israel {Columbia Studies In Terrorism And Irregular Warfare) by Ami Pedahzur
Land, Labor, And The Origins Of The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, 1882-1914 by Gershon Shafir
Might Over Right: How The Zionists Took Over Palestine by Adel Safty
The Transfer Agreement: The Dramatic Story Of The Pact Between The Third Reich And Jewish Palestine by Edwin Black
Under The Cover Of War: The Zionist Expulsion Of Palestinians by Rosemarie M Esber
Warriors Of God: Inside Hezbollah's 30 Year Struggle Against Israel by Nicholas Blanford

Edited by B Jenkins, 04 July 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#1376    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,883 posts

• you don’t have to cry
    it doesn’t need your tears
    the hidden thirst that steals
    sips you from inside

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

Nothing

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#1377    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,661 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

I am reading through Inferno by Dan Brown, about a third of the way through it, all is as expected. He comes up with impeccably researched and intriguing concepts (though Langdon in ANOTHER book is really pushing it) but the stories always feel devoid of feeling, though I suppose the genre does not call for much emotional investment.

Also re-reading Salem's Lot by Stephen King for the third time, what a fantastically mischevious vampire tale it is! :D

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#1378    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 26,459 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

I'm currently reading Star Trek: Double Helix, a six-book series by various authors (compiled into one big book for what I'm reading).  Basically it's a multi-generation story-arc about an evil unknown individual who is engineering a virus that can kill off entire planets.  So far, he's been mildly successful but the pesky Federation keeps getting in the way.

I'm also reading A Feast for Crows, book 4 of the Game of Thrones series.  Not as good as book 3 :(

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#1379    Wordless Wanderer

Wordless Wanderer

Midnight Snack Muncher

• 2,420 posts

• Tinky winky, Dipsy, La-la, Po! Eh-Oh!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

I'm currently reading The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky at the behest of my best friend

Posted Image

#1380    Overdueleaf

Overdueleaf

Psychic Spy

• 1,026 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

just ordered a brand new books hot off the presses, i think it was released today... for all i know i could have been the first to order it.. i thnk ill gloat/delude myself a little and say that i was just so i feel special... lol. The book is called Strigoi, by Wynter Wilkins and was written by a very talented and sweet fellow UM'er; its about vampires and witches.. and well since i have to wait two whole days before my book gets here i will let the press release describe it for me...  here ya go

Picture Romeo and Juliet as vampires! Will you know what is real and what is not, in the stunning new vampire series Strigoi? You decide!

Readers will get a glimpse at the various types of vampires populating different parts of the world, and will learn their traits and their almost human motivations. With love, death, power, magic, and loyalty abounding, journey along to find out just how human these creatures are. As much as this story has to do with the star-crossed love of a man named Lane and his soul mate Renata, it also has much more to offer. Genre fans will thrill at the action, suspense, and drama.

Strigoi poses some interesting questions: Who should be chosen to live forever and why should they be given such an opportunity? What sacrifices do vampires make in order to walk the Earth for all time? Explore the world of the vampires through these characters’ eyes, but remember, not all vampires are created equal

I will post how i liked the book once i get it read.... hope you all get a chance to read it too. go WITCHY you did it.. i am so proud of you!!!

Edited by Overdueleaf, 06 July 2013 - 03:13 AM.

Posted Image

Your memory IS foggy. It's the pancakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users