Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
1628 replies to this topic

#1396    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

I think The Da Vinci Code is Brown's worst book, it is like a freaking essay or something with a few action scenes mixed in. I still think Deception Point is his most enjoyable. The problem with Langdon stories is Brown's insistance on bombarding every page with know-it-all reams and reams of specific knowledge related to the setting. It's difficult to keep yourself in the realm of the story when you have so much to take in. The facts are very intriguing but it isn't an encyclopedia, it's supposed to be a story! It's a shame cause Dan is pretty competent in his writing when he has isolated moments of concentrating on establishing a scene.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#1397    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:36 AM

Another problem w/ Davinci code is points where the story hinges on a specific historical thingy.

and the history he references is just....wrong. you know?  I finally just accepted this was an alternate universe, and it made it more easy to deal with.

The giant albino monk came across as the most sympathetic character, and he barely gets any time in the story.

Then theres that, in this story, it turns out that the badguys, were right all along.  Just made it all seem pointless

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#1398    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,726 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:47 AM

Yeah he takes a lot of liberties and links them together interspersed with lengthy explanations of historical fact, whilst impeccably researched it all just falls flat and after a while you just want it to stop so the story develops!! The albino monk, Silas if I remember correctly, is the most intriguing character but also the most obvious plot vehicle. I really didn't even care when it came to the ending, there are so many twists but it is like five too many! He over complicates it all, far better than any other writer in the religious/historical suspense genre though.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#1399    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

Ive liked some of Peretti's work a little better just because he tends to embrace supernatural aspects of it.  But as far as being based in reality, Brown's my first foray into it.

Though i would like to read holy blood holy grail now

Right, SIlas, had forgotten his name.   Yeah, there wasn't much subtelty in him just being there to move things along occasionally

#1400    Regina Ulfa

Regina Ulfa

Poltergeist

• 2,252 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

"The Kingdom of Gods" by N.K. Jesimin. It's a fantasy novel about a god who builds a relationship with mortals.

#1401    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Psychic Spy

• 1,002 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

I'm about halfway through Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey.

It's the second book in a series called The Expanse, that started with Leviathan Wakes.

The basic setting for both books is that mankind has spread out into the solar system with colonies on Mars and mining operations on various moons, but still can't travel to other stars. There aren't exactly aliens... but if you read the books you'll see why I said "not exactly". Good stuff in my opinion.

Edited by MysticStrummer, 16 August 2013 - 03:11 AM.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#1402    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,652 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 04 August 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

Another problem w/ Davinci code is points where the story hinges on a specific historical thingy.

and the history he references is just....wrong. you know?  I finally just accepted this was an alternate universe, and it made it more easy to deal with
That's the problem I had with Dan Brown as well. The Da Vinci Code had been done to death for historical inaccuracy but his other Langdon novels have equal issues. A massive plot point in Angels and Demons revolved around made up history. I liked this book better then the Day Vinci Code, but the historical inaccuracy was jarring.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#1403    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

Just finished up Halo Effect by MJ Rose, reading Dragon and The Bear by Tom Clancy (jeeeeeesus is it dry and long.....much like highschool), and also starting a book called Blasphamy by douglas preston.

#1404    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,549 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

The Enemy Within, a history of Witch hunting, and The Founder of Christianity  by C.H. Dodd.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#1405    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,649 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

Glad I'm not hunted anymore. That would make life a little... painful.

I'm currently reading 'The Woman Who Died a Lot' by Jasper Fforde

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#1406    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,904 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Sleeping With Cats by Claude Balls.

#1407    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,792 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

"Fun with Dick and Jane" - I've almost made it through... I need to finish it so I can take it back to the library...
It's only 57 years over due!

("Look look. See Spot.")

#1408    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

Sin City by Frank Miller

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#1409    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

white hot fury

• 2,060 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:09 AM

i finished reading titus groan, and moved on to gormenghast.

these books are pretty dang remarkable, and i can't believe i never tried to read them before

#1410    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,549 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostTaun, on 19 August 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

"Fun with Dick and Jane" - I've almost made it through... I need to finish it so I can take it back to the library...
It's only 57 years over due!

("Look look. See Spot.")
I'm sure I saw a video called something like that recently. I didn't know they'd made it into a movie  .... :innocent:

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 20 August 2013 - 07:10 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users