Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
1632 replies to this topic

#1441    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

it's the future now son

• 2,407 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

the lathe of heaven, by ursula le guin. though it's one of her most famous, and she's one of my favorite authors, i've never read this one.

#1442    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

Environmentally Friendly

• 29,286 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

Well, I think I've decided that I much prefer Foundation to Dune. The characterisation and dialogue is infinitely better. The characters actually seem human rather than just symbols of Good or Evil.

Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people."

~ D. Trump.

“You are going to hear all the familiar complaints: ‘freedom of speech,’ ” Mrs. Clinton said in an hourlong speech

#1443    Bolt of Light

Bolt of Light

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

• In a Flash of Light...

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

I recently came across a series by Lillian Jackson Braun called "The Cat Who". I'm starting book one tonight.

#1444    MorbidVampireica

MorbidVampireica

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• i'd reather be an open sinner than a false saint!!!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

Kerrelyn Sparks  The Vampire With The Dragon Tattoo

~MorbidVampireica~

#1445    regi

regi

Government Agent

• 3,309 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

I'll See You Again by Jackie Hance with Janice Kaplan.

Jackie Hance is the mother of three young daughters who were killed in a car crash as they were returning from a weekend camping trip with their aunt, Diane Schuler.
Schuler was also killed along with her young daughter. Schuler's 6 year old son was the only survivor in their vehicle.
Schuler was driving the wrong way on the Taconic State Parkway (New York) for almost two miles before hitting another vehicle head-on. All three people in the other vehicle were also killed.
Stunningly and inexplicably, toxicology results revealed that Schuler was drunk. The results also revealed the presence of THC.

There's a documentary available online called There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane, in which the Hance's declined to participate.

Edited by regi, 22 September 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#1446    The_Student

The_Student

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
Reading this one for a course in Scottish Gothic I'm taking at uni, I have read before but it was a few years ago now and I'd forgotten how upsetting it is. Brilliant writing though.

#1447    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,009 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Right now I'm in book 8 of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I decided to read through the series since my local library has the last couple books I don't have. It's long, looooonnnnggggg..... Great story though.
I might have to take a break after this book is done and read a couple junk food books before I finish the series.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#1448    newbloodmoon

newbloodmoon

cosmic wombat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • Location:west of the east coast, east of the west coast, south of the north pole, north of the south pole.

• "Only through absolute loyalty to each other can the few control the many." - Peter J. Carroll

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

Chronicals of the black sword

A newcomer asked to be shown the way to the monastery, and Chao-chou replied:  "Have you finished eating your rice?... Then go wash your bowl!"  Therupon the monk gained instant enlightenment.

#1449    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,729 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

Navigating the coarse beauty of Atlas Shrugged by the fabulous Ayn Rand. Harry Potter And The Prisoner of Azkaban by Rowling for my fifth read through now! Recently finished a wonderful illustrated A-4 sized Charlie And The Chocolate Factory also, very stirring to revisit that delightful crackpot place :)

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#1450    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

Environmentally Friendly

• 29,286 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

Isaac Asimov: The Collected Stories vol II, and H. G. Wells, Collected Short Stories. Quite interesting to compare these two visionaries.

Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people."

~ D. Trump.

“You are going to hear all the familiar complaints: ‘freedom of speech,’ ” Mrs. Clinton said in an hourlong speech

#1451    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,984 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

The Whale Road by Robert Low

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#1452    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

• States are domed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.

- Antisthenes.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'm about to re-read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#1453    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,729 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:10 AM

View PostHatake Kakashi, on 09 October 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

I'm about to re-read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson.

Great novel. This is my favourite passage.

'There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.'

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#1454    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

• States are domed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.

- Antisthenes.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

View PostDancingCorpse, on 11 October 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

Great novel. This is my favourite passage.

'There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.'

I'm just past the part where his attorney, Doctor Gonzo, is in the bathtub demanding he throw in the cassette player at the peak of White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. I love Thompson's literary voice and the way he paints such a fast-paced narrative.

That quote is one he'd often read aloud at whatever convention or book tour.

It's one of the best passages pertaining to the counter-culture, and especially its death, I've ever read.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#1455    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,729 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:07 AM

The pace is indeed frenetic, understandable given the content but you truly see through eyes of disorientation yet there is so much clarity and passion in the adventure. I didn't know he read that particular part out, I'll have to have a look on youtube! The bathtub scene is hilarious, I felt the film captured the vibe of the book so damn effectively, I know Depp and Hunter spent a lot of time together.

The ending of the novel always makes me a little teary haha, you feel it was building towards something fragile and fleeting but aren't exactly sure until the moment passes. I always hate folks who only watch the film and pass it off as some crazy tale of substance abuse, that's one layer of it of course but a gross misjudgement to dismiss/martyr it as such. A very intelligent man put that thing together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users