Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
1632 replies to this topic

#1471    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:31 AM

I've just started into 'This Is Your Brain On Music'. The idea of a scientist/musician explaining music scares me, but I am going in anyway.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#1472    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostFoxhound 87, on 22 October 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

I think Ill have to start over. I have forgotten where I was. I have a lot of Stephen King books of my own to get through but my priority is this House of Leaves however complicated, I MUST FINISH

Get a mirror don't be so vain! :P

oo what King tales??

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#1473    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,165 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

The Wolf Sea by Robert Low

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#1474    Samon

Samon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

I am reding Carrie by Stephen King

Edited by Samon, 24 October 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#1475    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,165 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

Doktor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak. I picked it up from a stall where they were selling second hand books in aid of the roof. So far it seems to be coming along nicely.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#1476    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,648 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Every October, in honor of Halloween, I read Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and a selection of E.A. Poe's short stories. This year, as a run up to the WWI centennial beginning in 2014, I'm reading The Sleepwakers which goes into painful detail about the roots of the war in Balkan intrigue and general European myopia.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#1477    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,612 posts

• Question everything

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

Currently reading Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu for Halloween. A Scholastic Books edition of Carmilla. Think about that if you're familiar with the book and it's reputation.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#1478    SCFan

SCFan

ISA 62:2; 65:15; HOS 1:10; 2:23; MATT 21:43; ACTS 11:26

• 2,621 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:05 AM

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. The book has begun with a bang then about 20 some pages in King has once again begun to introduce fantastical elements that has turned me off from his recent works. I will finish this because I have too much investment in Daniel Torrance.

Unit 731: Japan's Secret Biological Warfare In World War II by Peter Williams and David Wallace. Just 50 pages into this harrowing account of Japan's atrocities during WWII when they researched biological weapons on live human guinea pigs with other abominable acts such as investigating forced frostbite from exposure from -20-50 below zero temperatures (in preparation for Russia), the effects of forced malnutrition (for the Japanese army), the effects of pressure chambers (for the Japanese Air Force), and performing vivisection, all on live patients without anaesthetics, etc. Due to the wide spectrum of experiments performed at the Manchurian village of Pingfan by the Japanese, Japan actually made solid gains on the rest of the world in the field of microbiology, In a number of areas of medical research it is claimed she had taken the lead. Perhaps ahand of the United States by several years in the mass-production of penicillin, it is also said Unit 731 led the world in research on vitamins, especially the "B" complex, and nutrition. Between 1935 to 1945, Japanese soldier-scientists carried out biological weapons, freezing, ballistics, and vivisection experiments on "enemies" - Russian, Chinese, American, British, and Australian prisoners of war. Unlike Josef Mengele, they were never prosecuted by the victorious Allied forces for their crimes of experimentation on human beings. No accusation against Emperor Hirohito or the soldier-scientists in the course of the Tokyo War Crimes Tribunal.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#1479    J_Anne

J_Anne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

Death written by Dr. Asra Rasheed

#1480    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,729 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

View PostGoSC, on 24 November 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. The book has begun with a bang then about 20 some pages in King has once again begun to introduce fantastical elements that has turned me off from his recent works. I will finish this because I have too much investment in Daniel Torrance.

I'm looking forward to this one since King barely ever does sequels and The Shining was a stone cold classic. The premise seems a little TOO fantastical for the original since it was so entrenched in the psychology of the family and the setting was absolutely crucial in exploring those deep tangents, I wouldn't want King to smear the depths of those roots with Danny though it's compelling how he'll present the adult version. The 'helping people who are about to die' description is so vague that I don't know what to make of it. Let me know how ya find it :)

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#1481    beelzebufo

beelzebufo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

The Rise of Ransom City by Stephen Gilman. Awesome book.

I don't have any academic background or qualification or life.
However, I can absorb all substances into the body from my eyes.

#1482    beelzebufo

beelzebufo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:18 AM

View Postbeelzebufo, on 28 November 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

The Rise of Ransom City by Stephen Gilman. Awesome book.

Meant to say Felix Gilman. Not sure where Stephen came from.

I don't have any academic background or qualification or life.
However, I can absorb all substances into the body from my eyes.

#1483    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

i am political correctness gone mad

• 2,578 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:24 AM

Bandette, a comic (!!) with just the loveliest art that i've seen in a while. it's also good fun.

#1484    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Psychic Spy

• 1,063 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

About to finish the third book in the Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant. Feed, Deadline, and Blackout are the titles. Good zombie related fun that takes place twenty years after The Rising.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#1485    magnoliaReverie

magnoliaReverie

Poltergeist

• 2,934 posts

• In the end, we'll all become stories.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.  Just started it last night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users