Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How grimoires work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:30 AM

news icon rAnthony North: A grimoire can be best described as an occult book of instruction. Describing systems for invoking demons, mastering divination and detailing magical spells, they are instruction manuals for gaining magical powers.

Becoming popular in the Middle Ages, the name comes from the Greek, "grammatikos', meaning "relating to letters'.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Beyond the Blog

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Marcejen

Marcejen

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:45 PM

A grimoire can be best described as an occult book of instruction. It bothers me, to see the "occult book"...I will have describe it as" a grimoire can be best described a a book of instruction on "occult"

#3    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:58 AM

Marcejen on Aug 11 2008, 08:45 AM, said:

A grimoire can be best described as an occult book of instruction. It bothers me, to see the "occult book"...I will have describe it as" a grimoire can be best described a a book of instruction on "occult"

A grimoire is at first a journal kept daily listing experiments of various recipes, until it turned into the finished project, a recipe book of a sort....  Occult meaning hidden.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#4    aldrin

aldrin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:04 AM

grimoires are just like the books of shadows in wiccan religion

It is a book where you may find the different concepts and philosophies of magick, enchantment, spellworking, summoning spirits,traditions of witchcraft, incantation, potions & recipes, herbs, oils, incense, rituals, and all related subjects.

#5    THE MATRIX

THE MATRIX

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:22 AM

Also the best place to find the best chocolate chip cookies recipes.

#6    Agent X

Agent X

Illustrious Potentate Of All Time Space And Matter

• 5,086 posts

• Invent nonsense computer jargon in conversations, and see if people play along to avoid the appearance of ignorance.

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

So the Bible is a grimoire!

NICE!

Posted Image

#7    StarChild 83

StarChild 83

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

• "The truth was forgotten long ago, now we just have our imaginations to fill in the blanks." StarChild 83

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:06 AM

I wouldn't really call the Bible a grimore, it doesn't tell you how to cast spells or conjure anything. there was pope who wrote a grimore that explains how to summon angels and stuff. Pope Honorius.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users