Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

2008's First Disenfranchised Voters


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    SoCrazes

SoCrazes

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Joined:01 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:midwest usa

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

ohio traveler on Aug 15 2008, 08:44 PM, said:

What I'm getting from the article is this isn't  an issue with disenfranchised voters.  But rather an issue regarding registration drives.

No one is keeping registered voters from voting anywhere.

Ohio, let me be more direct by cut and pasting the following excerpt from Greg Palast's website (www.gregpalast.com):

The American press corps has finally begun to report on illegal activities of the Bush administration. However, the subject of election theft remains largely ignored. In recent years, the Republican Party has used an array of tactics to subtract votes from opposing candidates. These include sending defective voting machines to strongly Democratic precincts and removing low-income and minority voters from electoral rolls.

Reporter Greg Palast has been covering this issue since 2000, when he revealed that Florida officials ensured the election of George W. Bush by illegally suppressing the African-American and Democratic vote. (more to article at website)


"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

#17    AROCES

AROCES

    Forum Divinity

  • Banned
  • 16,312 posts
  • Joined:07 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

SoCrazes on Aug 15 2008, 08:28 PM, said:

Ohio, let me be more direct by cut and pasting the following excerpt from Greg Palast's website (www.gregpalast.com):

The American press corps has finally begun to report on illegal activities of the Bush administration. However, the subject of election theft remains largely ignored. In recent years, the Republican Party has used an array of tactics to subtract votes from opposing candidates. These include sending defective voting machines to strongly Democratic precincts and removing low-income and minority voters from electoral rolls.

Reporter Greg Palast has been covering this issue since 2000, when he revealed that Florida officials ensured the election of George W. Bush by illegally suppressing the African-American and Democratic vote. (more to article at website)

And let me guess, not one of the machines was presented to show it's defect right?




#18    SoCrazes

SoCrazes

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Joined:01 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:midwest usa

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:06 PM

AROCES on Aug 15 2008, 10:19 PM, said:

And let me guess, not one of the machines was presented to show it's defect right?

Yes, there were many proven defective machines (defective in a number of ways); hence, the following:

Obama himself co-sponsored the Ballot Integrity Act of 2007, a bill which would require an individual, durable, voter-verified paper record of votes during the electronic voting process. Also, the Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act of 2007, was introduced in the House on February 5th by Representative Rush Holt (D-NJ). Senator Nelson has introduced a companion bill (S. 559) in February as well, and it has since been referred to the Committee on Rules and Administration. This bill would also require the production of a voter-verified paper ballot. While I am not in the committee in which the bill now currently stands, it is my hope that this bill, like the one I have introduced, will get serious consideration in the coming weeks and months.

Obama has also introduced the Voter Advocate and Democracy Index Act of 2007 to help inform voters and state officials about the election processes in their states and provide incentive for low-performing states to improve. The bill would create a scorecard to rank states on a set of standards designed to measure the ease of exercising the right to vote. Through this index, they can record the amount of time spent by voters waiting in line, the rate of voting system malfunctions, and several other aspects of the voting process.


"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

#19    SoCrazes

SoCrazes

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Joined:01 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:midwest usa

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

SoCrazes on Aug 15 2008, 11:06 PM, said:

Yes, there were many proven defective machines (defective in a number of ways); hence, the following:

Obama himself co-sponsored the Ballot Integrity Act of 2007, a bill which would require an individual, durable, voter-verified paper record of votes during the electronic voting process. Also, the Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act of 2007, was introduced in the House on February 5th by Representative Rush Holt (D-NJ). Senator Nelson has introduced a companion bill (S. 559) in February as well, and it has since been referred to the Committee on Rules and Administration. This bill would also require the production of a voter-verified paper ballot. While I am not in the committee in which the bill now currently stands, it is my hope that this bill, like the one I have introduced, will get serious consideration in the coming weeks and months.

Obama has also introduced the Voter Advocate and Democracy Index Act of 2007 to help inform voters and state officials about the election processes in their states and provide incentive for low-performing states to improve. The bill would create a scorecard to rank states on a set of standards designed to measure the ease of exercising the right to vote. Through this index, they can record the amount of time spent by voters waiting in line, the rate of voting system malfunctions, and several other aspects of the voting process.

I didn't do a very good job of cut and pasting this.  The bolded line was Obama speaking.

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

#20    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

    Forum Divinity

  • Banned
  • 20,036 posts
  • Joined:09 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Female

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

December 14, 2004
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact
Cobb Tells Congress About Rigged Voting Machines
Says Machines without Paper Trails are a Threat to Democracy

Columbus, OH —  Green Party presidential candidate David Cobb told members of the House Judiciary Committee yesterday about an Ohio Board of Elections employee who witnessed deliberate tampering with county voting machines. The revelation came as part of Cobb's testimony in a forum convened by Representative John Conyers, the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee. The committee members are examining reports of voter suppression and intimidation and other irregularities that occurred in the Ohio 2004 presidential election.


"In the old days, crooked politicians stuffed ballot boxes. Today, computer technicians can fix the vote behind-the-scenes. There's compelling evidence that the 2004 presidential vote was manipulated."
— Blair Bobier
Cobb Media Director

Cobb's report of rigged voting machines drew an instantaneous response from Conyers who directed his staff to immediately investigate the situation.

"This allegation is just the tip of the iceberg," said Cobb. "The bigger problem is the use of electronic voting machines that don't produce auditable paper trails. Electronic voting machines and tabulators without verifiable paper trails are one of the greatest threats to our democracy," Cobb added.

Cobb's comments come as 21 more Ohio counties begin the recount process today, including Franklin, Mahoning, Pickaway and Ross counties which use only electronic voting machines.

Problems reported with electronic voting machines in this election have included one Ohio county adding almost 4,000 extra votes to George W. Bush's tally, machines that wouldn't let voters record presidential votes for anyone but Bush, and "backwards counting" machines that subtracted votes from Kerry's vote totals.

"In the old days, crooked politicians stuffed ballot boxes. Today, computer technicians can fix the vote behind-the-scenes. There's compelling evidence that the 2004 presidential vote was manipulated. Until there's public scrutiny and access to all phases of the voting process, there will be lingering suspicions of fraud," said Blair Bobier, Media Director for the Cobb-LaMarche campaign.

The Green Party's presidential campaign has demanded recounts in both Ohio and New Mexico. The New Mexico state canvassing board, which oversees that state's elections, is meeting today to take up the issue of the New Mexico recount. By New Mexico law, the recount should have started there no later than today.

http://www.iwantmyvote.com/press/2004/dec/pr2004-12-14.php


#21    SoCrazes

SoCrazes

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Joined:01 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:midwest usa

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:46 PM

Lt_Ripley on Aug 16 2008, 12:26 AM, said:

December 14, 2004
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact
Cobb Tells Congress About Rigged Voting Machines
Says Machines without Paper Trails are a Threat to Democracy

Columbus, OH —  Green Party presidential candidate David Cobb told members of the House Judiciary Committee yesterday about an Ohio Board of Elections employee who witnessed deliberate tampering with county voting machines. The revelation came as part of Cobb's testimony in a forum convened by Representative John Conyers, the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee. The committee members are examining reports of voter suppression and intimidation and other irregularities that occurred in the Ohio 2004 presidential election.


"In the old days, crooked politicians stuffed ballot boxes. Today, computer technicians can fix the vote behind-the-scenes. There's compelling evidence that the 2004 presidential vote was manipulated."
— Blair Bobier
Cobb Media Director

Cobb's report of rigged voting machines drew an instantaneous response from Conyers who directed his staff to immediately investigate the situation.

"This allegation is just the tip of the iceberg," said Cobb. "The bigger problem is the use of electronic voting machines that don't produce auditable paper trails. Electronic voting machines and tabulators without verifiable paper trails are one of the greatest threats to our democracy," Cobb added.

Cobb's comments come as 21 more Ohio counties begin the recount process today, including Franklin, Mahoning, Pickaway and Ross counties which use only electronic voting machines.

Problems reported with electronic voting machines in this election have included one Ohio county adding almost 4,000 extra votes to George W. Bush's tally, machines that wouldn't let voters record presidential votes for anyone but Bush, and "backwards counting" machines that subtracted votes from Kerry's vote totals.

"In the old days, crooked politicians stuffed ballot boxes. Today, computer technicians can fix the vote behind-the-scenes. There's compelling evidence that the 2004 presidential vote was manipulated. Until there's public scrutiny and access to all phases of the voting process, there will be lingering suspicions of fraud," said Blair Bobier, Media Director for the Cobb-LaMarche campaign.

The Green Party's presidential campaign has demanded recounts in both Ohio and New Mexico. The New Mexico state canvassing board, which oversees that state's elections, is meeting today to take up the issue of the New Mexico recount. By New Mexico law, the recount should have started there no later than today.

http://www.iwantmyvote.com/press/2004/dec/pr2004-12-14.php

Yea, I've read that the African American votes in the Cleveland area were not counted as well as the Hispanic and Native American votes in New Mexico. There is also strong evidence that Florida had a similar scenario as Ohio and NM.

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

#22    Mr Honeybadger

Mr Honeybadger

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 2,838 posts
  • Joined:29 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:28 PM

I appreciate the link SoCrazes. And all of the 2004 presidential election fraud accusations are no doubt controversial.    But I know that there are always two sides to every story. And the 2004 accusations are no exception.

Report: Democrat Operatives Far More Involved In Voter Intimidation And Suppression In 2004

Washington, DC – The American Center For Voting Rights Legislative Fund (“ACVR Legislative Fund”) today released the most comprehensive and authoritative review of the facts surrounding allegations of vote fraud, intimidation and suppression made during the 2004 presidential election.

The report finds that paid Democrat operatives were far more involved in voter intimidation and suppression activities than were their Republican counterparts during the 2004 presidential election. Examples include paid Democrat operatives charged with slashing tires on GOP get-out-the-vote vans in Milwaukee and an Ohio court order stopping Democrat operatives from calling voters telling them the wrong date for the election and faulty polling place information.

http://exposingtheleft.blogspot.com/2005/0...s-far-more.html

< For the record I am not a registered Republican. I have no ties to the party.




#23    AROCES

AROCES

    Forum Divinity

  • Banned
  • 16,312 posts
  • Joined:07 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:05 PM

SoCrazes on Aug 15 2008, 11:06 PM, said:

Yes, there were many proven defective machines (defective in a number of ways); hence, the following:

Obama himself co-sponsored the Ballot Integrity Act of 2007, a bill which would require an individual, durable, voter-verified paper record of votes during the electronic voting process. Also, the Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act of 2007, was introduced in the House on February 5th by Representative Rush Holt (D-NJ). Senator Nelson has introduced a companion bill (S. 559) in February as well, and it has since been referred to the Committee on Rules and Administration. This bill would also require the production of a voter-verified paper ballot. While I am not in the committee in which the bill now currently stands, it is my hope that this bill, like the one I have introduced, will get serious consideration in the coming weeks and months.

Obama has also introduced the Voter Advocate and Democracy Index Act of 2007 to help inform voters and state officials about the election processes in their states and provide incentive for low-performing states to improve. The bill would create a scorecard to rank states on a set of standards designed to measure the ease of exercising the right to vote. Through this index, they can record the amount of time spent by voters waiting in line, the rate of voting system malfunctions, and several other aspects of the voting process.

So, they were proven defective. Now, what has the manufactureres have to say about it?
Secondly, who enters the candidates name on the machines? The machines does not come preset with the names already, correct?


#24    AROCES

AROCES

    Forum Divinity

  • Banned
  • 16,312 posts
  • Joined:07 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

Lt_Ripley on Aug 15 2008, 11:26 PM, said:

December 14, 2004
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact
Cobb Tells Congress About Rigged Voting Machines
Says Machines without Paper Trails are a Threat to Democracy

Columbus, OH —  Green Party presidential candidate David Cobb told members of the House Judiciary Committee yesterday about an Ohio Board of Elections employee who witnessed deliberate tampering with county voting machines. The revelation came as part of Cobb's testimony in a forum convened by Representative John Conyers, the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee. The committee members are examining reports of voter suppression and intimidation and other irregularities that occurred in the Ohio 2004 presidential election.


"In the old days, crooked politicians stuffed ballot boxes. Today, computer technicians can fix the vote behind-the-scenes. There's compelling evidence that the 2004 presidential vote was manipulated."
— Blair Bobier
Cobb Media Director

Cobb's report of rigged voting machines drew an instantaneous response from Conyers who directed his staff to immediately investigate the situation.

"This allegation is just the tip of the iceberg," said Cobb. "The bigger problem is the use of electronic voting machines that don't produce auditable paper trails. Electronic voting machines and tabulators without verifiable paper trails are one of the greatest threats to our democracy," Cobb added.

Cobb's comments come as 21 more Ohio counties begin the recount process today, including Franklin, Mahoning, Pickaway and Ross counties which use only electronic voting machines.

Problems reported with electronic voting machines in this election have included one Ohio county adding almost 4,000 extra votes to George W. Bush's tally, machines that wouldn't let voters record presidential votes for anyone but Bush, and "backwards counting" machines that subtracted votes from Kerry's vote totals.

"In the old days, crooked politicians stuffed ballot boxes. Today, computer technicians can fix the vote behind-the-scenes. There's compelling evidence that the 2004 presidential vote was manipulated. Until there's public scrutiny and access to all phases of the voting process, there will be lingering suspicions of fraud," said Blair Bobier, Media Director for the Cobb-LaMarche campaign.

The Green Party's presidential campaign has demanded recounts in both Ohio and New Mexico. The New Mexico state canvassing board, which oversees that state's elections, is meeting today to take up the issue of the New Mexico recount. By New Mexico law, the recount should have started there no later than today.

http://www.iwantmyvote.com/press/2004/dec/pr2004-12-14.php

You have here a 2004 accusations, it's now 2008 so obviosly the accusations remained as it is, an accusation.

Edited by AROCES, 16 August 2008 - 01:09 PM.


#25    SoCrazes

SoCrazes

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Joined:01 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:midwest usa

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

ohio traveler on Aug 16 2008, 01:28 PM, said:

I appreciate the link SoCrazes. And all of the 2004 presidential election fraud accusations are no doubt controversial.    But I know that there are always two sides to every story. And the 2004 accusations are no exception.

Report: Democrat Operatives Far More Involved In Voter Intimidation And Suppression In 2004

Washington, DC – The American Center For Voting Rights Legislative Fund (“ACVR Legislative Fund”) today released the most comprehensive and authoritative review of the facts surrounding allegations of vote fraud, intimidation and suppression made during the 2004 presidential election.

The report finds that paid Democrat operatives were far more involved in voter intimidation and suppression activities than were their Republican counterparts during the 2004 presidential election. Examples include paid Democrat operatives charged with slashing tires on GOP get-out-the-vote vans in Milwaukee and an Ohio court order stopping Democrat operatives from calling voters telling them the wrong date for the election and faulty polling place information.

http://exposingtheleft.blogspot.com/2005/0...s-far-more.html

< For the record I am not a registered Republican. I have no ties to the party.

Yes, news lately has been reporting that the Dems have been cheating as well at the voting game.  BTW, I'm actually a registered republican.

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

#26    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

    Forum Divinity

  • Banned
  • 20,036 posts
  • Joined:09 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Female

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

interestingly enough ----

The Fraudulent Fraud SquadThe incredible, disappearing American Center for Voting Rights.
By Richard L. Hasen
Posted Friday, May 18, 2007, at 1:41 PM ET
Examining punch ballots in Florida. Click image to expand.Examining punch-card ballots in Florida in 2000

Imagine the National Rifle Association's Web site suddenly disappeared, along with all the data and reports the group had ever posted on gun issues. Imagine Planned Parenthood inexplicably closed its doors one day, without comment from its former leaders. The scenarios are unthinkable, given how established these organizations have become. But even if something did happen to the NRA or Planned Parenthood, no doubt other gun or abortion groups would quickly fill the vacuum and push the ideas they'd pushed for years.

Not so for the American Center for Voting Rights, a group that has literally just disappeared as an organization, and for which it seems no replacement group will rise up. With no notice and little comment, ACVR—the only prominent nongovernmental organization claiming that voter fraud is a major problem, a problem warranting strict rules such as voter-ID laws—simply stopped appearing at government panels and conferences. Its Web domain name has suddenly expired, its reports are all gone (except where they have been preserved by its opponents), and its general counsel, Mark "Thor" Hearne, has cleansed his résumé of affiliation with the group. Hearne won't speak to the press about ACVR's demise. No other group has taken up the "voter fraud" mantra.

The death of ACVR says a lot about the Republican strategy of raising voter fraud as a crisis in American elections. Presidential adviser Karl Rove and his allies, who have been ghostbusting illusory dead and fictional voters since the contested 2000 election, apparently mounted a two-pronged attack. One part of that attack, at the heart of the current Justice Department scandals, involved getting the DoJ and various U.S. attorneys in battleground states to vigorously prosecute cases of voter fraud. That prong has failed. After exhaustive effort, the Department of Justice discovered virtually no polling-place voter fraud, and its efforts to fire the U.S. attorneys in battleground states who did not push the voter-fraud line enough has backfired. Even if Attorney General Gonzales declines to resign his position, his reputation has been irreparably damaged.


http://www.slate.com/id/2166589/

The ACVR was dissolved in May 2007, and the web pages ac4vr.com and AmericanCenterForVotingRights.com were taken down.[1]

The dissolution of ACVR came several weeks after the Election Assistance Commission issued a report that said the pervasiveness of fraud was open to debate.[23] "The DoJ devoted unprecedented resources to ferreting out polling-place fraud over five years and appears to have found not a single prosecutable case across the country," Slate reported.[1]

Moreover, evidence was accumulating that the issue of voter fraud had been pushed by the GOP in an effort to mask voter suppression. [24] Much of the evidence has emerged in media reports and congressional hearings into the firings of U.S. attorneys in at least eight cities in 2006, which "led to allegations that Republican officials pressed some of the fired prosecutors to bring voter fraud cases in hard-fought races." [25]

For example, Bradley Schlozman, the interim U.S. attorney in Kansas City, brought a controversial set of indictments for voter-registration fraud several days before the 2006 election in Missouri. The cases appeared to flout DoJ policy, which discouraged election-related indictments too close to Election Day. Schlozman told the Senate judiciary committee that he acted at the "direction" of the DoJ's Public Integrity Section,[26] testimony he later recanted. [25]

The indictments involved operatives paid by the not-for-profit organization ACORN, who allegedly submitted thousands of fraudulent voter registration forms in Kansas City and St. Louis, Missouri. Five of these operatives have since been indicted and plead guilty or convicted in federal court to charges of vote fraud and identity theft. [27][28][29]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Cent...r_Voting_Rights

Edited by Lt_Ripley, 16 August 2008 - 01:34 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users