Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama chooses Biden as running mate

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

Lt_Ripley on Aug 23 2008, 10:44 AM, said:

It would be nice to have all of the but ........

it isn't all Clinton supporters. I am/was one. still am but like most will pull the lever for Obama. But there is a small amount of die hards yet still pulling. you have some that may be racist but plenty of republicans this year are voting independant or democrat so I think it about levels off. Plenty of republicans don't want a george the III.

I do think many are burnt out from the Clinton / Obama fight. Just need some breathing space. Aren't as gung ho , but will be when it counts.  It's summer break !

Well I don't want Bush the III, Obama or Clinton but I still feel that an Obama/Clinton ticket would have won. And now Bush the III will take office. McCain is struggling to keep his party united, if Obama had picked Clinton he would have one up on McCain. Now he doesn't. His situation is now in fact worse. McCain is struggling because of idealogical differences. All McCain has to do is patronize those people. Obama faces the same situation only, in my oppinion, he will have to deal with Clinton working against him.

#17    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 20,036 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:21 AM

BlindMessiah on Aug 23 2008, 07:01 AM, said:

Well I don't want Bush the III, Obama or Clinton but I still feel that an Obama/Clinton ticket would have won. And now Bush the III will take office. McCain is struggling to keep his party united, if Obama had picked Clinton he would have one up on McCain. Now he doesn't. His situation is now in fact worse. McCain is struggling because of idealogical differences. All McCain has to do is patronize those people. Obama faces the same situation only, in my oppinion, he will have to deal with Clinton working against him.

I don't know. the christians aren't exactly in line with republicans now - and I think more dems are behind the dem ticket than against even with Hillary. She's thrown her weight behind him and will do so in Denver loudly.

the pros and cons of Biden  from Time

...........Biden has been on the national stage so long that he was able to mount two credible runs for the presidency himself an amazing 20 years apart, in 1988 and 2008. He has served as chairman of both the Judiciary Committee and the Foreign Relations Committee, traveling the globe to meet world leaders and to be directly involved in almost every major international and domestic debate of the last two generations. He has excelled as both a speaker and a debater. His Irish-Catholic heritage makes him a demographic dream in appealing to swing voters. He is both a Washington insider and a hero to working-class Americans and labor union leaders, in part because of his rhetoric, but also because of his own middle class upbringing. He has mastered the art of the network Sunday show television appearance as well as the classic vice-presidential skill of savagely attacking his political opponents with both a smile and the use of casual, kitchen-table idioms.

Balanced against all of those unmatched qualifications is one quality that has afflicted Biden for as long as anyone can remember: a persistent tendency to say silly, offensive, and off-putting things. Over the next few days (and, likely, weeks) some of Biden's ungreatest hits of gab will be recycled by the media and Republicans aiming to take the luster off Obama's choice of running mate. The central mystery for those who have watched Biden over the years is this: how could someone so smart, experienced, and articulate be his own worst enemy by saying just the wrong thing at just the wrong moment?

Beyond the verbal gaffes during both of his presidential campaigns, Biden stunned his supporters, and delighted his opponents, during the Supreme Court confirmation hearings of John Robert and Sam Alito, President Bush's conservative nominees for the high court. In preparing for the public sessions, Biden's advisers warned him repeatedly not to let his verbose ways dominate the proceedings. Be crisp and clear and concise, they told him over and over during practice sessions. And yet when the lights and cameras were on, Biden was at his very worst — long-winded, self-involved, and off message.

Surely, as the Obama campaign unveils Biden to the world, they are little concerned about his ability to surmount the primary hurdle that any potential vice president must get over, that Biden is ready to be president from day one by virture of experience, temperament, and judgment. But the campaign will just as certainly be coaching him on his initial speeches and media appearances. Once again, Joe Biden will be told to keep it short and limit the use of the pronoun "I."

Those who know Biden well, who have watched him and worked with him over the years in the Senate and on the campaign trail, know two things with absolute certainty. One, it will be exceedingly difficult for Biden to carry out those instructions. And, two, if he is able to do as he is told regarding his renegade mouth, he will be a smash hit as Obama's running mate.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8...1835480,00.html

#18    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:29 AM

I don't know. the christians aren't exactly in line with republicans now - and I think more dems are behind the dem ticket than against even with Hillary. She's thrown her weight behind him and will do so in Denver loudly.

She needs three days to that?

#19    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 20,036 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

BlindMessiah on Aug 23 2008, 07:29 AM, said:

She needs three days to that?

she's done it before and will again . there are stragglers .  yet the amount of republicans and christians that have crossed over make up for that amount easily.

McCain has already pounced on Obama's choice of Biden. Yet most republicans pouncing on Obama and his experience of foreign policy fail to remember that Obama has more experience in/ at  it than Bush had running in 2000. so McCains argument is moot.

August 23rd, 2008
McCain camp calls Biden Obama’s ‘harshest critic’ on experience
Posted: 05:38 AM ET

(CNN) — Sen. John McCain’s campaign quickly reacted to word that Sen. Joe Biden would be Sen. Barack Obama’s running mate with a dig at Obama’s foreign policy credentials.

“There has been no harsher critic of Barack Obama’s lack of experience than Joe Biden,” McCain campaign spokesman Ben Porritt said in a written statement.

“Biden has denounced Barack Obama’s poor foreign policy judgment and has strongly argued in his own words what Americans are quickly realizing — that Barack Obama is not ready to be president.”

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/23/mc...-on-experience/

Edited by Lt_Ripley, 23 August 2008 - 11:46 AM.

#20    Mr.Peabody

Mr.Peabody

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 161 posts

• We only grow when we step outside our comfort zone.

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

Biden is alright. I like Jim Webb , Clinton , Kathleen Sebelius . or even Chuck Hagel too. I think he picked fine.

#21    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

ohio traveler on Aug 23 2008, 10:23 AM, said:

I agree. There are many Clinton supporters who simply will not vote for Obama now. But I think they don't like each other very well. Sort of like McCain and Romney. Same party but not on the same team. Deep down I think Hillary hopes Obama loses so she can jump right back into it in 2012.

Precisely, and an Obama win will be all but over for Hillary for any Presidential shot.
How badly does the Clinton supporters wants her to be President really? Bad enough to not vote for Obama in the coming election to set up Hillary for 2012?

#22    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:17 PM

IrishAidan on Aug 23 2008, 10:52 AM, said:

I'm not so sure the Clinton's could handle being second in command. Personally, I'd like to repeal the 22nd amendment and bring Bill back. He may have been a crook in some ways, but the economy was good (and please don't give me the technology boom Republican argument - it's easily debunk-able) and things were, generally, good.

We were in an economic reccesion or decline because of the DOTCOM burst on the last year of Bill, and the burst happened predictably for a lot of those DOTCOMS were in the red or were surviving thru venture capitalist funding. Do you understand what that means?
How can you debunk that???
Was it Bills' fault? No, it's just the cycle on an economy.
Can Bill bring back the same economic expansion? No!

#23    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

It's good from the experience angle, which is Obama's weakest point.  I thought he might go for Hillary or the guy from Virginia.  I'm not sure Biden will pull more voters into the fold.

Biden's one of the obviously qualified people.

The Republicans can dig up some dirt on him but the Republicans can dig up dirt on anyone.  Biden's good on women's issues, though some women are still so miffed about Hillary losing that they probably won't vote at all.

Edited by Siara, 23 August 2008 - 02:30 PM.

#24    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,524 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:05 PM

Biden's a working class, Irish Catholic, uber-experienced foreign policy guru, with grade A attack dog skills. Not a bad choice at all.

#25    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

Startraveler on Aug 23 2008, 09:05 AM, said:

Biden's a working class, Irish Catholic, uber-experienced foreign policy guru, with grade A attack dog skills. Not a bad choice at all.

Don't forget, too, that he comes from a Senate seat that is basically a formality at this point; the real election is the Democratic Primary. Democrats are trying to hang on to as many Senate seats as possible as well as winning 4-6 more, so at the very least, they'll get a freshman rookie in the seat if Obama wins this November (I'm assuming that Biden will simultaneously run for the Senate seat as well as Obama's candidacy, and then appoint a successor or let the Delaware governor do it).

As for his tendency to go on "gaffe", do you not think that Obama's campaign will be monitoring and watching this? Obama has been very careful about managing rallies and public appearances in most venues, and I imagine that before he picked Biden, he had a discussion about this.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."  — D.H. Lawrence

#26    Pinky Floyd

Pinky Floyd

Waxing Poetic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

• 1000% Libertarian...

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

An excellent article from the Washington Post on why Obama should not have picked Biden..

The central tenet of Obama's campaign message is that if Americans want to change their government, then they have to change the people they send to Washington.  Picking Biden, who has served in the Senate for the better part of the last four decades, seems to run counter to that core message.

There couldn't have been a worse pick for Obama.  Seriously.  Shunning Hilliary and all of her voters was a slap in the face and a political suicide on his part. He very narrowly won the nomination:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------  Obama/          Hilliary
TOTAL (w/o FL & MI - w/ caucuses and territories)   12,891,604/   12,217,745
TOTAL (w/ FL&MI, w/caucuses) ---------------------------                              13,460,645/      13,403,104
TOTAL (w/o FL & MI - excludes caucuses)---------         12,535,451/ 12,058,560
TOTAL (w/ FL & MI - excludes caucuses)------------             13,104,492 /   13,243,919

If McCain doesn't screw up and put someone in there that is totally from outerspace, he's all but won the election..If he chooses Lieberman (he's hinting), it is over already (the conservatives/hardcore Republicans might be upset over this choice, but if he does-who they gonna vote for instead of McCain? They are kind of stuck with him and the hybrid ticket).  Many moderate Dems will jump ship (many just out of spite over the blatant Hilliary dissing) and will go with the moderate Republican/Independent-xDemocrat hybrid ticket.

My question is that if Obama wants 'change' why did he pick someone that has been a DC barnacle for the last 40 years?? Kind of goes right against the 'change' in Washington that he has been harping over for months now.

/and I liked Obama too...

Total American Isolationism Now
Complete and across the board. Over the next fifty years, America needs to develop energy independence
and terminate any and all relations with most all countries not on the North American Continent.
Forever...

#27    CosmicStaR

CosmicStaR

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

• **Human sickness is so severe that few can bear to look at it, but those who do become well..**

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

Politicians are pawns--SOME and I emphasize some--are hummanists and actually care about us and the country..but the ones running this year--I don't believe they are.

I'm refusing to vote--I think this election is going to change NOTHING--and I'm usually an optimistic person--but in this case--it's really ****ing hard to be.

Posted Image

"-*This world is not conclusion; A sequel stands beyond, Invisible as music, But positive, as sound.-*"

“Physical strength is measured by what we can carry, Spiritual by what we can bear..”

#28    CosmicStaR

CosmicStaR

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

• **Human sickness is so severe that few can bear to look at it, but those who do become well..**

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

We will never have a President who actually cares about the country and the people living in it..
And if we do--he will get assassinated..

Posted Image

"-*This world is not conclusion; A sequel stands beyond, Invisible as music, But positive, as sound.-*"

“Physical strength is measured by what we can carry, Spiritual by what we can bear..”

#29    glyndowers heir

glyndowers heir

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

• We Are What We Are,
    But Some Of Us Are Not What We Seem!

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

God I need my glasses changing,

I could have sworn the title said Obama chooses Bin Laden as running mate! geek.gif

Some people are like Slinkys ™! -
they don't do much good when they sit around ,
but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down stairs

#30    CosmicStaR

CosmicStaR

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

Riight..

I saw Joe on Real Time with Bill Maher--he's not that bad of a guy..

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users